PDA

View Full Version : What I Like Best About Lightwave...

mj418
01-14-2007, 06:22 AM
I have a bunch of 3D programs, most of which I rarely use, because I just find Lightwave to be the easiest and least cluttered up with junk.

Also, I've tried the demos for the other biggies when available.

But, one of the best (OK, not *the* best) things about LW is simply the interface: it doesn't have a bunch of goofy icons I have to try to remember what they're for...set the cursor on one, hope for a tool tip, or frantically look all over the interface for some text to 'splain.

No, none of that. Just words, plain and simple, words on a button for every tool, plugin, whatever...words are good things.

Of course, my runner-up favorite thing would be the ease of customizing and rearranging those words and buttons, and the ability to save the menus and keyboard reassignments.

I love LW for all kinds of reasons, from its intuitiveness and ease of modeling to its fantastic rendering, and it's this simple, straightforward no-nonsense interface that made learning it so much easier, quicker, and more enjoyable.

People who design interfaces could learn alot from Newtek. I can't be the only one who can't stand icons all over the place.

cresshead
01-14-2007, 07:52 AM
things i like best about lw...

1.price
2.you get the pc AND mac versions...you choose which to use at any one time
3.you can freely move lightwave around with the usb dongle [no hassle]
4.the renderer
5.modeler is transparent and give you a 'hands on feel' to your modeling
6.the community [here, spinquad,books,dvd's,videos]
7.communication with the developers [beta etc]
8.i can use lw in conjunction with other 3d apps with little hassle at all.

:lwicon: :newtek: :D :thumbsup:

Wonderpup
01-14-2007, 10:03 AM
The other subtle advantage in having text buttons is having the shortcut keys always visible on the interface. As a max user I used very few shortcut keys- but when I switched to Lightwave I found I started using them a lot more simply because every time I clicked a button the shortcut key was right there.

I agree about modeling. XSI has a more 'polished' feel but somehow modeling in Lightwave has an immediacy that is hard to beat.

mj418
01-14-2007, 10:12 AM
things i like best about lw...

5.modeler is transparent and give you a 'hands on feel' to your modeling

:lwicon: :newtek: :D :thumbsup:

You definitely have THAT right!
I can't do anything in most of the other programs, just because everything to me seems so convoluted and tedious, while Modeler has the things that those programs *should* have.
Like being able to select a few points or polys in the area you're working on, and hitting Shift+a and having the viewport immediately setting the camera's orbit around just that part. Whoever thought that one up oughta have a monument built in his name. :)

colkai
01-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Have USB memory stick, have USB dongle, will travel. :D

No matter which machine I'm at, right there, no installs, no registry clutter, no DLL's all over the windows area, I got MY LW ...good to go.

Backups? Yup, same thing, easy as pie.

Oh, plus, it's fun to use, the most comfortable program I've ever dealt with and the community doth surely rock. :)

99sproth
01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Like being able to select a few points or polys in the area you're working on, and hitting Shift+a and having the viewport immediately setting the camera's orbit around just that part. Whoever thought that one up oughta have a monument built in his name. :)

hahahahhaha... it was a maya developer you silly goose.

anehoo

My votes for the renderer, its actually pretty fast compared to other big name apps. F-prime.. nuffsaid.

mj418
01-14-2007, 11:21 AM

LOL!
That's fine, long as it found its way into LW is all that matters. :D

Chris S. (Fez)
01-14-2007, 12:43 PM

anehoo

My votes for the renderer, its actually pretty fast compared to other big name apps. F-prime.. nuffsaid.

Modeler has been like that since 5.5 hasn't it (ie. well before Maya)?

EagleWing
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree on the UI being the best looking
I looked at Maya's interface and it literally I think looks like it was created and had no thought on presentation in terms of buttons and scroll bars, radio buttons etc.
it looks just like when i was doing Delphi at college, click a button, drag it on the form (window) and that's it, everything looks too (how to put this...hmmm) simple or basic in terms of how it looks, which for me makes me less interested in learning it, which is why i've stuck with LW from the start of my learning, surely they would add a more graphical interface to maya.
Another reason why I like the looks of other 3d titles like ZBrush, it's unique in it's UI, well I say unique but unique is only as far as it looks different from others, just as black is unique from white.

Dodgy
01-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Modeler has been like that since 5.5 hasn't it (ie. well before Maya)?

Definitely.... Plus maya doesn't get it right a lot of the time... If you do a zoom selected, it'll zoom in on a 3d view, but zoom out in a UV view... You'd think they'd have noticed after version 6....

EagleWing
01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
haha, well I guess somethings slip past all good programmers and designers minds.

I can't wait for LW 9.2 to be relased though, a few bugs to redeem and get rid of, the pain in the arse one for me is the one to do with the HUB making modeler freeze on me and become none responsive, again until the relase, removing it from firewall and readding solves it, until it pops up again, should it.

99sproth
01-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I can't wait for LW 9.2 to be relased though, a few bugs to redeem and get rid of, the pain in the arse one for me is the one to do with the HUB making modeler freeze on me and become none responsive, again until the relase, removing it from firewall and readding solves it, until it pops up again, should it.

Guh I got so sick off all the hub related crap that until nt fix it, I have -0 on the end of my shortcut addresses to stop the hub starting.

lets hope lw x will be integrated.

adamredwoods
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Lightwave's interface is what drew me into it. Customizable and uncluttered with meaningless icons.

The modeler is skillful in that the most basic functions are fast and readily accessable. I've watched some very skilled Maya users and they seem to be pressing a few extra buttons than the Lightwavers just to tweak a few polys.

And they're always slapping that spacebar until it breaks...

99sproth
01-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Lightwave's interface is what drew me into it. Customizable and uncluttered with meaningless icons.

The modeler is skillful in that the most basic functions are fast and readily accessable. I've watched some very skilled Maya users and they seem to be pressing a few extra buttons than the Lightwavers just to tweak a few polys.

I find the pros and cons with maya/lw modelling are pretty even.

And they're always slapping that spacebar until it breaks...

SO TRUE. Working in a studio with maya users will drive you crazy. click clack, click clack, clickclak, click click click clack.

lesterfoster
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I fine LightWave to be very relaxing to use. It is like an escape from reality and is a extension of my imagination.:lwicon:

McFilms
01-14-2007, 08:06 PM
It's a constant adventure filled with discovery and wonder. That, and it was used to help create Babylon 5, which I miss dearly.

UnCommonGrafx
01-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I like LightWave because it feels like the devvers like it.
... because it's easy to use.
... because they haven't changed the paradigm, only enhanced it.
... because I can do things with it that amaze me.
... because it is relaxing to use.
... because it's better than drugs and without the extraneous complications.
... because my wife says, "It's addictive! Right?" ;)

toby
01-15-2007, 02:01 AM
People who design interfaces could learn alot from Newtek. I can't be the only one who can't stand icons all over the place.
That's what I'm always saying!!
Icons : :thumbsdow :devil: :bangwall: :screwy::cursin:

LW interface : rock! beerchug!

I'm trying to learn Maya now. Can't find a god**mn thing. If you want to look through the camera, where do you go? Of course - you go to the "Panels" menu...wtf?

DiedonD
01-15-2007, 02:26 AM
McFilms: It's a constant adventure filled with discovery and wonder.

Lesterfoster: I fine LightWave to be very relaxing to use. It is like an escape from reality and is a extension of my imagination.

Everything has been said already for me. Ill only add that, it the latest way of one expressing his art.

starbase1
01-15-2007, 03:10 AM

Yeah! Down with blobs on knobs!

I have got to like some of the features of Vue, but trying to work out what the tiny squiggles represent drives me nuts! I seem to spend half my time hovering over a control waiting to find out what it does...

Pictograms should have died out with the ancient Egyptians...

Ztreem
01-15-2007, 06:53 AM
I Like the hands on feeling of modeler, it's like using clay.( not as good as displacement painting, but for polygons it's really good). I like the fact that I allways can find a solution to a problem even if I've never done it before. It's just that you can do the same thing in so much different ways.

kopperdrake
01-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Icons are all well and good for simple stuff - like 'beerchug' but even that's misleading! I mean - what kind of beer is it?! When was it poured? Were any rats used its fermentation process?

Wordy labels are the daddy - you just can't express some of the more technically elaborate buttons with a piccy - it'll look like spaghetti.

I like Lightwave coz you can get at the nitty gritty points and polys without having to go into editors or other convoluted modes - you choose it, you change it. Job done.

toby
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Wordy labels are the daddy - you just can't express some of the more technically elaborate buttons with a piccy - it'll look like spaghetti.

Oh COME ON. How can you be more clear than this?

Kuzey
01-16-2007, 05:53 AM

Ahh...that's a birds eye view of a road showing a truck and a car going in opposite directions. Also, there's three trees on the bottom footpath and two mailboxes on the otherside of the road.

Mmmmm...makes me want to play frogger :)

Who can't see that :hey: :hey:

Kuzey

EagleWing
01-16-2007, 08:43 AM
That's what I'm always saying!!
Icons : :thumbsdow :devil: :bangwall: :screwy::cursin:

LW interface : rock! beerchug!

I'm trying to learn Maya now. Can't find a god**mn thing. If you want to look through the camera, where do you go? Of course - you go to the "Panels" menu...wtf?

If you want to learn the maya interface i highly recomend picking up the fandaments of Maya DVD by VTC i think it is.

EagleWing
01-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Icons are all well and good for simple stuff - like 'beerchug' but even that's misleading! I mean - what kind of beer is it?! When was it poured? Were any rats used its fermentation process?

I like Lightwave coz you can get at the nitty gritty points and polys without having to go into editors or other convoluted modes - you choose it, you change it. Job done.

I agree, buttons with words are FARRR better than butons with pictures.

EagleWing
01-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Ahh...that's a birds eye view of a road showing a truck and a car going in opposite directions. Also, there's three trees on the bottom footpath and two mailboxes on the otherside of the road.

Mmmmm...makes me want to play frogger :)

Who can't see that :hey: :hey:

Kuzey

hahahaha.

kopperdrake
01-16-2007, 09:47 AM

LOL :D Gimme a clue. How many syllables?

starbase1
01-16-2007, 11:55 AM
If you want to learn the maya interface i highly recomend picking up the fandaments of Maya DVD by VTC i think it is.

I hope you mean fundamentals... Looking up the fundament (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fundament) of Maya may not be a pleasant experience...

Nick

Liber777
01-16-2007, 12:13 PM
... Looking up the fundament (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fundament) of Maya may not be a pleasant experience...

ROTFLM-F-O!!!!

starbase1
01-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, at least users will get an idea of what is coming down the pipe!

Nick