PDA

View Full Version : Jan 24th any one going to the London Gig?

badllarma
01-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Well train and hotel are booked is anyone else on the forums going to the London Newtek Europe gig?

andy

kopperdrake
01-14-2007, 02:15 AM
I didn't know about it! What're they doing? Think I may be up to my eyeballs then though :/

colkai
01-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Alas no, being mid-week there is zero chance of me attending. :(

Really annoying as I know a few of the "posse" are going to be in attendance, mind you, I'm sure my liver will be grateful I'm not going. :p

badllarma
01-14-2007, 08:43 AM
More details here but they should have been sending out a news letter

http://www.newtek-europe.com/invitation/londonmeeting2007/uk/londonmeeting_sub.asp

If you have not heard about it Newtek you REALLY need to get your marketing sorted!!
I always wonder why they always have these type of things in London, I'm based in Manchester but always thought in the UK Birmingham would be THE location to have these type of events, so everyone can go, or have a chance at going.
Also would be no doubt cheaper for room rental for the actual event and for hotels etc for everyone who needs to stay over?

cresshead
01-14-2007, 09:34 AM
didn't you know london IS ther uk....or so some people think!...yeah brum is the logical choice to get ther most peopleto attend any 'u.k' event..that's why the NEC was built there...autodesk max held there last uk meeting in brum...made sense to me...and was an easy trip on the train [2min walk from the station] to their venue in a hotel nr by.

i can't make the lightwave london event...maybe they'll video podcast it though?

cresshead
01-14-2007, 09:41 AM
where i london is it?....the form says nothing of the venue!!!!!!!

Captain Obvious
01-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Wait what, I didn't know about this! I might be going. I do live in London, so why not. But the page says you should send it in before january 12th, and it's the 14th now...

badllarma
01-14-2007, 11:23 AM
The original link was from a thread in the SpeedEdit section the event is held at The Great Eastern Hotel, I'd look else where though if you need to book a room (IMO) because it's not cheap!!!
(I'm booked else where BTW :) )

Any one interested best give the following an email ASAP

Audrey-Jane Belin
Marketing & Communication Department
mail to: [email protected]

The only reason I've the full details is I pestered them to find out the details so I could sort out train times and book a cheaper hotel :eek:

bobakabob
01-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Shame it's midweek so work commitments rule it out - Any chance of a future Saturday event for us northerners? :D

99sproth
01-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I wonder why they dont come to the national centre of computer animation..

in Bournemouth.

NT if your reading this..!

Bog
01-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I wonder why they dont come to the national centre of computer animation..

in Bournemouth.

NT if your reading this..!

I've given talks to classes there if it helps! ;)

Anyway - yes! Rather looking forward to this.

99sproth
01-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I've given talks to classes there if it helps! ;)

Anyway - yes! Rather looking forward to this.

hah, well tell me next time your down and I might actualy attend them for once. :P

DogBoy
01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Yup, I'll be there. :thumbsup:

it's here BTW http://www.great-eastern-hotel.co.uk/

Bog
01-14-2007, 04:40 PM
***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***

Dogboy and I will be in the same room. Do not attempt to think, or confusion may set in.

***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***

;)

BeeVee
01-15-2007, 02:49 AM
It probably won't be in that venue now, and it was detailed in our last newsletter. If you don't get our newsletter then you can change that here (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/newsletter/form.html).

B

DiedonD
01-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Id love to come, but I need to wash my cat on the very same day :D . And I cant postpone that again, itll be insulting.

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 05:46 AM
It probably won't be in that venue now, and it was detailed in our last newsletter. If you don't get our newsletter then you can change that here (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/newsletter/form.html).

B

Is this a foolish attempt to to stop the DogBog fusion, puny mortal?

Fear our joined might :twak:

kilvano
01-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Id love to come, but I need to wash my cat on the very same day :D . And I cant postpone that again, itll be insulting.

I thought cats washed themselves?

I may come. Im moving to london in the next few weeks so it all depends if i have a place to stay yet

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 06:14 AM

I may come. Im moving to london in the next few weeks so it all depends if i have a place to stay yet

I'd put you up (I live close) but I'll have my sister-in-law and her friend over, and 3 in a bed is sooo not gonna happen :hey:

kilvano
01-15-2007, 06:20 AM
no i meant im lookin for a place to live at the moment.

Lookin for flats in the SW area for my girlfriend and I. Moving down to find jobs as Glasgow is a bit crap for anyone starting out in 3d

(Thanks for the thought though!)

DiedonD
01-15-2007, 06:40 AM

I just didnt want to writte the 10 unshakavble reasons why i cant come kilvano. Dont want to always bore you with my problems all the time you know.
I dont even have e home cat, and i despise street cats. I throw sharp things at them for that matter, to scare them off :devil:

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 07:52 AM
I just didnt want to writte the 10 unshakavble reasons why i cant come kilvano. Dont want to always bore you with my problems all the time you know.
I dont even have e home cat, and i despise street cats. I throw sharp things at them for that matter, to scare them off :devil:

So when you say "I have to wash the cat" you mean "in a river, tied into a sack with rocks in the bottom" ;)

cresshead
01-15-2007, 08:08 AM
now now!...he may have a pet tiger...or a lion...or a jaguar...

stee+cats [yup...three of 'em]

kilvano
01-15-2007, 08:10 AM
i want a pet Tiger. Id take it to the park and get all those chav people with Dobermans and stuff

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 08:15 AM
now now!...he may have a pet tiger...or a lion...or a jaguar...

stee+cats [yup...three of 'em]

but ...but ...but he said he didn't even have a cat.

an' you know I was just bein' silly :D

dan+moths [yup I have a LOT of 'em]

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 08:18 AM
no i meant im lookin for a place to live at the moment.

Lookin for flats in the SW area for my girlfriend and I. Moving down to find jobs as Glasgow is a bit crap for anyone starting out in 3d

(Thanks for the thought though!)

Well if you do need to pop down to London, let me know as I love putting um my LW breddren if i can ;)

kilvano
01-15-2007, 08:21 AM
I put up a post a couple of weeks ago askin for advice on letting agencies if you know of any.

Hopefully we can get a decent place not too far out for about £750/month.

I would love to buy a flat but without a job ill never get a mortgage and with the recent rise in Interest rates, im not sure i want to!

badllarma
01-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Ben you best tell us where it is then!!!!!!!

As I've already booked a hotel near to that venue because that is where I was told that is where you were having the event if I'm going to start taxing around London because your changing Venus every 5 mins I'm not ****ing impressed at all!.

As usual ****ing **** communication from Newtek and everything arse about face if you think I'm waisting two days (which I've had to booked off from my full time job) paid money for travel and accommodation to turn up in London for a magical mystery tour you have another thing coming.

Late software is one thing me having to chase around London costing me time and money is another thing all together:mad:

kilvano
01-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Thank god for automatic starring!

Does seem a little disorganized. I cant get into my inbox cause im at work to view the news letter

BeeVee
01-15-2007, 08:39 AM
It's true the venue has changed several times :( mainly because of the numbers of people coming. It is currently booked for the Hilton on Park Lane (at the southern end of Hyde Park).

B

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Ben you best tell us where it is then!!!!!!!

Late software is one thing me having to chase around London costing me time and money is another thing all together:mad:

Don't worry, we'll get there wi' the minimum o' fuss and th' maximum o' style.

badllarma
01-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Don't worry, we'll get there wi' the minimum o' fuss and th' maximum o' style.

Speak for yourself mate look's like he's just added £50.00 to my cab bills :mad:

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
We don't know where they are going yet, so wait and see. i doubt Liverpool street to where ever will cost you that much.

I was meaning that I would be happy to split the fares wi' you (I live near Liverpool Street), but if you want to blow your money on individual transportation, fine.

London has a pretty good public transportation system. It might be cheaper (like a tenth of the price).

kilvano
01-15-2007, 09:02 AM
come on badllarma...turn that frown upsidedown!

Im sure if you arrange a meet up then you could get 5 in a taxi. MUCH cheaper

DogBoy
01-15-2007, 09:04 AM
:agree: wot he said. I'm not working on Weds, so would be happy to hook up before hand.

jeremyhardin
01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
i plan to attend, barring a sudden late night requirement. be good to get the final venue information though.

BTW, my wife wants to know if this is going to be 70% geek-fun and 30% drinks/normal-people fun or vice versa. (Of course she worded it much more respectfully than this. Just putting it into my own words. :D ) So all conferences and a couple drinks or all drinks and a couple speeches?

badllarma
01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Sorry Dogboy I know Sydney (Australia) better than i know London :) And I haven't been there that often.

kilvano A meet up would be great I'm staying on Osborn Street (Dogboy will no doubt have a better idea where I am ) but it's not far from Liverpool Street if you gents want to point me in the direction of a local hostelry that we could meet up in before hand that would be great. :thumbsup:

Jezza I would say "all drinks and a couple speeches?" more be more in my line of thinking :D
BUT Newtek staff beware the thumb screws WILL becoming out on some information I want :) About Lightwave and VT

kilvano
01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Just had a chat with the Mrs.

Dont think ill be down :thumbsdow ...need to save money for the big move to London.

I think ill be down for a week on the 10th so ill no doubt give a few of you a shout for a couple of beers

Matt
01-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I registered for it but have heard nothing back, should I have? Or can I just turn up?

kopperdrake
01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Meh :( Crazy deadline that Friday morning so no possibility I can get down. On the plus side I'll be in serious need of an alchoholic drip-feed on the Saturday night out :D

DogBoy
01-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Sorry Dogboy I know Sydney (Australia) better than i know London :)

No worries, I didn't mean to wind you up.

kilvano A meet up would be great I'm staying on Osborn Street (Dogboy will no doubt have a better idea where I am ) but it's not far from Liverpool Street if you gents want to point me in the direction of a local hostelry that we could meet up in before hand that would be great. :thumbsup:

Ooh, Osborn St. I hope you like Indian food. it's on the end of Brick Lane, renowned for it's curry houses. Unfortunately, your at the wrong end for the all night bagel bakery, but it's a nice walk if feel like a salt beef bagel. You're also on the edge of "ripper country", so the 10 Bells (?) pub is quite near.

Let's think where to meet nearer the time, when we know where we need to go.

Jezza I would say "all drinks and a couple speeches?" more be more in my line of thinking :D

Amen to that, Brother!

badllarma
01-16-2007, 02:15 AM
No problem DogBoy look forward to meeting you :)

Matt
01-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Bugger! What time is the event? Work has cleverly organised a meeting for most of that day in Banbury, if it's an evening do I could follow on to London from there.

badllarma
01-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Bugger! What time is the event? Work has cleverly organised a meeting for most of that day in Banbury, if it's an evening do I could follow on to London from there.

I've been told 6pm start Matt, on the last email I received.

Matt
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Might be able to make it then, depending on when my meeting ends / trains / London traffic etc.

Bog
01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Might be able to make it then, depending on when my meeting ends / trains / London traffic etc.

I very much doubt it'll be an 8pm finish.

Or 9

Or 10

Or 3.

jeremyhardin
01-17-2007, 02:45 AM
If any more details come to anyone via email, please feel free to share! Still don't know anything other than that the venue has changed and now that it starts at 6.

DiedonD
01-17-2007, 03:21 AM
So when you say "I have to wash the cat" you mean "in a river, tied into a sack with rocks in the bottom" ;)

:) That I do when Im short in time. But when I plan for years how to wash a cat, and it so hurts me that it "coincidently" happened to be the very same day that this London gig is happening, then I use other means of washing street cats.
Like I tie a telephone cable on their throats with a lasso, and use a an ordianry rubber pipe (you know like the one every house has em) and wash the cat while it futile attempts at going away from me. While I laugh " YOU WILL BE CLEAN TODAY MUHA HA HA HA HA HA". In the end of the ordeal, the street cat is so tired, that it wont stop you from removing the cable of its throat, and then I let it free from me, and from god knows what parasites it might have had before I cleaned it. In short it transforms from a mean ugly street cat into this :cat:

kilvano
01-17-2007, 03:27 AM
:) That I do when Im short in time. But when I plan for years how to wash a cat, and it so hurts me that it "coincidently" happened to be the very same day that this London gig is happening, then I use other means of washing street cats.
Like I tie a telephone cable on their throats with a lasso, and use a an ordianry rubber pipe (you know like the one every house has em) and wash the cat while it futile attempts at going away from me. While I laugh " YOU WILL BE CLEAN TODAY MUHA HA HA HA HA HA". In the end of the ordeal, the street cat is so tired, that it wont stop you from removing the cable of its throat, and then I let it free from me, and from god knows what parasites it might have had before I cleaned it. In short it transforms from a mean ugly street cat into this :cat:

Whoaaaaa.....:devil:

You've thought this out WAY too much.

DiedonD
01-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Whoaaaaa.....:devil:

You've thought this out WAY too much.

Its been years LOL.
I just elaborate the flow, and push the flow further, yea it does turns out psychopathic in the end, doesnt it? :)

It almost sounds like the guy in th Cell LOL.

Bog
01-17-2007, 04:00 AM
I like diedond. He makes me seem normal... :D

DiedonD
01-17-2007, 04:04 AM
I like diedond. He makes me seem normal... :D

THIS IS HALARIUS :ohmy:

DiedonD
01-17-2007, 04:07 AM
But lets push the boundraries even further:

WHAT IS NORMAL?????

colkai
01-17-2007, 04:10 AM
Normal...something I aspire never to become. :p

kopperdrake
01-17-2007, 04:13 AM
Normal...something I aspire never to become. :p

I wouldn't worry Colkai - if it were going to happen it would've happened by now.

DiedonD
01-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Ironically they havent found the definition of whats normal. But they did somewhat found a definition about what is abnormal instead, to our convineance. So what they do, is say, "Well normal, is ahmm... its amm... Aha I know... Normal is abscence of abnormality" Those are high words of wisdom to define whats normal from our dearly beloved psychology scientists.

But you might be asking, so whats abnormal then... I dont have the answers of the 4 or 5 "D's" that define abnormality with me. But its in my abnromal book back home. If someone cant find it in the net, I promise Ill paste it later on.

DiedonD
01-17-2007, 05:03 AM
I found it, its the 4 D's by Ronald J. Comer:

Deviance: Different from what the majority in one society considers as normal.

Distress: Well you know this one. It feeling of distress when emotions, thought or actions occur. Or sometimes lack of distress.

Dysfunction: "It so upsets distracts, confuses people that they cannot care for themselves properly, participate in in ordinary work interactions, or work productively"

Dangerous: To oneself or another

And even them D's describe abnormality very vaguely. Its one of the things that I didnt like in Psychology in the first place. It starts of ok, and leaves you nowhere.

DiedonD
01-17-2007, 05:14 AM
So here we are "knowing" what abnormal is. So if you dont have that your normal. I dont get it at all.

First deviance seems unilaterarily. Its either the societies way or noway. Which soemtimes the whole society might be wrong, and theres crash of cultures, and its to narrowing to live by pre scheduled societal values alone

I agree about the distress and dysfunctional part... But who wouldnt?

And well what is dengaerous? Here are predetermined values again.

I belive, what we are left with in the end is just keep away from distress as much as possible, be who you are and be good at it, and MOVE, be on your on way before it may be too late.

parm
01-17-2007, 05:52 AM
But lets push the boundraries even further:

WHAT IS NORMAL?????

I know this..

It's the line that points out of a polygon.

kilvano
01-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Badoom Chhhhhh!

:rock:

colkai
01-17-2007, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't worry Colkai - if it were going to happen it would've happened by now.
Aye, aye, true enough :p
46 years down the tube and still no indication I'm gonna grow up any time soon. ;)

kilvano
01-21-2007, 07:45 AM
My work were gonna send me to another office for next week and I was so excited cause i could have driven the extra hour down for the event!

At the last minute it was decided i wasnt needed.

No happy! :thumbsdow

TheDAve
01-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Last week would have been great as I was working up in town.

This week I'm back in Guildford and on crunch... so zero chance that I will get up there for 6.

DAve

Bog
01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Last week would have been great as I was working up in town.

This week I'm back in Guildford and on crunch... so zero chance that I will get up there for 6.

DAve

How about 7? ;)

badllarma
01-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Bog you going?

DogBoy
01-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Bog you going?

He better f**kin' be going. Elsewise he's gonna get a butt-whuppin! :hey:

badllarma
01-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Dogboy I'll PM you with my mobile if you still wish to meet up?

kilvano
01-23-2007, 03:22 AM
Arg!! I wanna go!

Moving to London the 13th Feb officially so ill be at the first meet up after that.

starbase1
01-23-2007, 03:44 AM
I'm now planning on being there.

Matt
01-23-2007, 04:31 AM
So long as my meeting doesn't run on, I'll be there, suited and booted too! Ooohh! :)

DogBoy
01-23-2007, 04:32 AM
That's tres cool, nick & matt! So, looks like it's shaping into a pretty good meet all in all.

Llama, i PMed you my mobile number.

Bog
01-23-2007, 05:08 AM
So long as my meeting doesn't run on, I'll be there, suited and booted too! Ooohh! :)

Ooh, that's a thought. Quite a tempting thought, as it goes! Hmmm... :D

badllarma
01-23-2007, 06:22 AM
That's tres cool, nick & matt! So, looks like it's shaping into a pretty good meet all in all.

Llama, i PMed you my mobile number.
yup sent mine back :)

DogBoy
01-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Ooh, that's a thought. Quite a tempting thought, as it goes! Hmmm... :D

Ok, so the code is now business/smart cas?

Well, if i have to i'll spruce up too.

he who hasn't shaved this year.

badllarma
01-23-2007, 09:42 AM
This supposed to be a fun gig, my days off and I'm traveling a lot so it's combats and T shirt for me Hilton or no Hilton :D

Matt
01-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Ok, so the code is now business/smart cas?

No, I just meant if I make it I will be in a suit because I'd have come straight from a meeting!

:D

cresshead
01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
hi,
I can't make it....so is anyone going to write up/podcast the event?
even a few piks would be cool!

Matt
01-23-2007, 10:57 AM
hi,
I can't make it....so is anyone going to write up/podcast the event?
even a few piks would be cool!

I'll be taking a camera.

Bog
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Don't mind me, BL, I just enjoy dressing up.

I'm not gay or anything. Not that there'd be anything wrong with it if I was. But I'm not.

Except maybe just a little for BeeVee. He's dreamy.

lardbros
01-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm coming!!! Only got the email from Newtek about 2 days ago... so very short notice indeed, but should be well worth the £16.50 train fare to go!! Never know they might be giving away copies of SpeedEDIT or something!!! YAY.... AND MORE YAY!

See you guys tomorrow!! Even though i'm not 100% on my London A-Z i should be there in good time!

Bog
01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm coming!!! Only got the email from Newtek about 2 days ago... so very short notice indeed, but should be well worth the £16.50 train fare to go!! Never know they might be giving away copies of SpeedEDIT or something!!! YAY.... AND MORE YAY!

See you guys tomorrow!! Even though i'm not 100% on my London A-Z i should be there in good time!

Excellent! I'm really, really, *really* looking forward to this! It's gonna be brilliant seeing so many of you lot.

lardbros
01-23-2007, 12:04 PM
For some VERY bizarre reason i actually thought there wouldn't be all that many people going!! How wrong was i?? This'll be soo great, can't wait to shake The Roth and Proton's hands for doing such a superb job with the beta this time round!! YAY!! Hope they have waterproof seats in the conference room... maybe i should bring my Huggies just in case!

badllarma
01-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing you guys I was thinking maybe I should ware a Red Carnation or something :D

andy

Jaffro
01-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I should be there! :)

I got about 3.4tonnes of uni coursework on top of my at the moment. But these NT events dont come around alll that often. Currently have a visual migraine that means i cant see in the center of my vision - not good for coding!

Is anyone planning on going for a few drinks before or after? There are some nice little pubs around parklane/mayfair - not 100% sure i can remember the roads however haha

Matt
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
This'll be soo great, can't wait to shake The Roth and Proton's hands for doing such a superb job

Proton isn't going is he? Doesn't say he is on the email, I hope I'm wrong though, would be good to meet him again, top bloke!

As far as I know these are the NewTek people who are going to be there:

Jim Plant, CEO of NewTek Inc.
Philip Nelson, Vice President, Video Marketing and Sales
Jay Roth, President of NewTek's 3D Products Division
Franck Lafage, NewTek Europe Managing Director
Marc Gaillard, NewTek Europe Sales Director
Irene King, Worldwide Sales Manager
Ben Vost, NewTek Europe LightWave 3D Evangelist

And last but not least:
Andrew Bishop, Managing Director of Darkside Animation

Strickly not NewTek, but has been a long time avocate of LightWave and has done many a demo "as" NewTek at SIGGRAPH.

Great line up, I really hope nothing stops me from making it!

DogBoy
01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
No, I just meant if I make it I will be in a suit because I'd have come straight from a meeting!

Now you tell me, now I've just finished ironing my jockeys :hey:

What the hey! Let's go pimpin' :D

lardbros
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Proton isn't going is he? Doesn't say he is on the email, I hope I'm wrong though, would be good to meet him again, top bloke!

Oh yeah, you're right, god knows where i got that from?!?! My skim reading skills are obviously not up to scratch! :) Sorry if anyone got excited... and sorry Proton for the false advertising! :)

Bog
01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
*singsong* Lardbros loo-oooves Pro-ton! Lardbros loo-oooves Pro-ton!

Sorry chap! Couldn't resist... :D

Dogboy! Let us embrace the New Bohemia! Come to that, it'll be a fight to get Regularfry there in anything but jeans and a Tee.

DiedonD
01-24-2007, 01:57 AM
I'll be taking a camera.

Excellent. Can I see it too? And could you somehow inderictly imply who is whom on your shots. I dont think I can recognise anyone, and I doubt that theyll be wearing a name tag, with large enough fonts for me to read. Have fun everyone, just imagine as if Im there.

Phil
01-24-2007, 02:45 AM
I cannot be there, but hopefully someone will give Jay a suitably large bone-crunching hug for revitalising the LW product.

Can someone ask NewTek Europe to improve their shop. It's missing things like cups, sweaters, caps, jackets, etc. I would be tempted to start singing the pro-NewTek song again :)

Matt
01-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Excellent. Can I see it too? And could you somehow inderictly imply who is whom on your shots. I dont think I can recognise anyone, and I doubt that theyll be wearing a name tag, with large enough fonts for me to read. Have fun everyone, just imagine as if Im there.

Will do, but you can check out the who's who of NewTek here:

http://www.newtek.com/newtek/senior_staff.php

And here:

http://www.newtek.com/newtek/behind/gallery/index.php

Cheers
Matt

colkai
01-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Arrghh, no fair, I miss the chance to see you guys AND stare dreamily at Irene, Waaahhhh . :p

Anti-Distinctly
01-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Right, it appears I have balls up completely. Registrations are closed? I only got the email a few days ago. Is there no way I can go to this? :(

starbase1
01-24-2007, 07:05 AM
OK, so how does it work?

I did my bit and got an email confirmation back, is my name on a list somewhere? or should I have received something through the post?

In short, if I got the email, can I just show up?

Nick

jeremyhardin
01-24-2007, 07:08 AM
OK, so how does it work?

I did my bit and got an email confirmation back, is my name on a list somewhere? or should I have received something through the post?

In short, if I got the email, can I just show up?

Nick
Hope so. I RSVP'ed and that's what I'm doing.

CAClark
01-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Maybe next time :)

starbase1
01-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Hope so. I RSVP'ed and that's what I'm doing.

Great! I should be there for six. If anyone wants to know what I look like, so they can avoid me, there's a mug shot (http://www.starbase1.co.uk)at the front of my web site.

lardbros
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Cool as ****... first time for me at one of these things and it was great to see the team hard at work!! I didn't get a chance to stare dreamily at Irene, but did see her! :)

My internet wasn't working earlier so didn't read Bogs post earlier about Proton! :) Made me laugh anyway!

Sorry i didnt come for the curry, kinda got carried away talking! Maybe next time!?

Thanks Newtek for an enjoyable evening! :thumbsup:

Matt
01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Phew! Just got back to the Midlands, was a looooong day for me, but I'm so glad I went! Here's a quick run down of the night I had:

There was a really good crowd there, and it's always great to meet the team behind the products we all know and love.

Managed to chat with Jay Roth, a really top bloke, and great to hear his passion for LightWave. Briefly spoke to Jim Plant too, but he seemed pretty busy with a lot of people (as was Jay) so I didn't want to hog their attention all night, which I could have easily done!

Had a good chat with Philip Nelson about life in San Antonio, another great all-American fellow too (is there no one at NewTek who isn't nice?) He also gave a demo of SpeedEdit which looks awesome, I think I will be purchasing that pretty soon, they have a GREAT offer on for existing LightWave users.

I quite un-ashamedly collared Irene and had my picture taken with her! ;) And yes fellas, she is just as nice in real life as the photos on this site! (Hope I'm not embarrassing her by saying!) :D

Andy Bishop, as always, gave a passionate and informative demo of LightWave's 9 / 9.2 features.

Good to see Ben Vost again, and of course all the 'Wavers I met at the last User Meeting (or as Ben calls it, Boozer Meeting!) :)

I'll post some pics tomorrow as it's quite late now and I'm shattered! Althought I can't hold a candle to our US partners who flew in for 24hrs to be at this presentation, so a big thanks go out to them for showing commitment to us European users!

All in all, a great night, shame it wasn't longer really, time flew past, and before I knew I had to go and just caught the last train home! If I'd stayed any longer I'd have been booking into the Hilton!!!

Matt
01-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Okay, I couldn't wait to post these, besides it's 2:21am so it IS tomorrow in my book! Apologies for the appalling photographic skills, and to those I missed or names I may have got wrong (I think they are all correct!)

Matt
01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Wish I'd have taken more photos!

Jaffro
01-25-2007, 02:06 AM
Looks like you had a great time! Wish I could've been there :(

Good to hear that speededit was good, any particular highlights on this?

DiedonD
01-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Will do, but you can check out the who's who of NewTek here:

http://www.newtek.com/newtek/senior_staff.php

And here:

http://www.newtek.com/newtek/behind/gallery/index.php

Cheers
Matt

Im more interested in seeing you guys Matt, like pictures of: You, Bog, Dogboy, Colkai, T-Light and the like that Ive talked to and somewhat come to know. Not some high end eexecutive person, that I probably wont ever need of knowing. Any pictures of the above on your shots?

DogBoy
01-25-2007, 02:20 AM
Im more interested in seeing you guys Matt, like pictures of: You, Bog, Dogboy, Colkai, T-Light and the like that Ive talked to and somewhat come to know. Any pictures of the above on your shots?

Second lot of photos:
First is BeVee and a guy I can't recognise from the thumbnail.

Second is Starbase and his fine prize: The first evuh SpeedEdit (we had to mount an armed guard on him to stop bug trying to grab it).

Last one looks like looks it has Nick, parm, me 8/ and Julian (not in that order) from the London Lightboozers Anon meetings in it.

I can't actually see the photos right now though 8/

jeremyhardin
01-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Had a blast as well. I only planned to pop in and say hello. So I kept breaking off conversations early and trying to usher myself out and bumping into other people. Haha. Ended up being one of the last to leave.

Great to meet my fellow forum LW geeks in public and have a drink. :D Very cool.

DiedonD
01-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Second lot of photos:
First is BeVee and a guy I can't recognise from the thumbnail.

Second is Starbase and his fine prize: The first evuh SpeedEdit (we had to mount an armed guard on him to stop bug trying to grab it).

Last one looks like looks it has Nick, parm, me 8/ and Julian (not in that order) from the London Lightboozers Anon meetings in it.

I can't actually see the photos right now though 8/

Going from left to right, are you the 3rd person Dogboy? To the left or to the right of Starbase1? And Matt, i assume you are the one harassing a woman again right ?

DogBoy
01-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Great to meet my fellow forum LW geeks in public and have a drink. :D Very cool.

It was worth it to see the look of "Oh no! the freak in the pirate top is staring at me again" every time I caught your eye :devil:

Did you chat to the Darkside posse?

DogBoy
01-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Okay, I couldn't wait to post these, besides it's 2:21am so it IS tomorrow in my book! Apologies for the appalling photographic skills, and to those I missed or names I may have got wrong (I think they are all correct!)

The Picture you posted of Andy Bishop is him chatting wi' Alan Marques, one of his old LightWave buddies from waaay back. he worked on Lost in Space and other stuff, and introduced me to Lightwave (not that he'd remember this, I think he reckons I'm just stalking him :hey: ).

jeremyhardin
01-25-2007, 03:09 AM
It was worth it to see the look of "Oh no! the freak in the pirate top is staring at me again" every time I caught your eye :devil:

Did you chat to the Darkside posse?

Nah, I stuck to the forumers and Jay. And the expression you actually caught was..."Thank god, someone I've met before today." :D

Didn't think to snap any pictures though, regrettably.

starbase1
01-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Yes, it was a seriously fun evening.

I'm very sorry I didn't make it to the start, (I blame London Transport's inability to cope with 1 inch of snow), but was very glad to get there at all - and not just becuase I won the first ever proper copy released of Speed Edit! (now duly signed by every n-tekker I could pester).

The major thing that sticks with me though is the sheer passion of everyone at Newtek for the products and what you can do with it, I tend to go to a lot of product plugging events as part of the day job, and I can honestly say that I have never had such a strong impression of an entire team with passion for what they they are doing. Also a genuine and strong desire to talk to the users, and hear what they have to say.

There's has been a lot of cristicism of Newtek's direction and willingness to listen to users from some quarters in these forums - and I would be prepared to wager a considerable sum that no one last light was in any doubt about their commitment.

Anyway, nice to meet some new users too - and if anyone wants to join us for the next Lightwave Londion User Group, (or boozer group as it seems to be known now), you are VERY welcome.

There's a Yahoo group set up (lwuk):
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lwuk/

Or we'll start a new thread in the user groups area on this system. As the other one is gigantic, and not now notifying those subscribed.

Nick

Matt
01-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Im more interested in seeing you guys Matt, like pictures of: You, Bog, Dogboy, Colkai, T-Light and the like that Ive talked to and somewhat come to know. Not some high end eexecutive person, that I probably wont ever need of knowing. Any pictures of the above on your shots?

Well I am sorry!

Here's one here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41310&d=1169692002

Left to right JulianW, Starbase1, Parm and Dogboy, is no one reading the titles I stayed up late to put on the bottom of the photos???????

DogBoy
01-25-2007, 04:03 AM
is no one reading the titles I stayed up late to put on the bottom of the photos???????

I did, which is why I said about Alan being one of Andys old LW buddies.

DogBoy
01-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Yes, it was a seriously fun evening ...not just becuase I won the first ever proper copy released of Speed Edit! (now duly signed by every n-tekker I could pester).

My favourite moment was when you asked me what did ben Vost look like ... just after he'd signed your copy :D :D :D :devil:

bobakabob
01-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Yes, it was a seriously fun evening.

I'm very sorry I didn't make it to the start, (I blame London Transport's inability to cope with 1 inch of snow), but was very glad to get there at all - and not just becuase I won the first ever proper copy released of Speed Edit! (now duly signed by every n-tekker I could pester).

The major thing that sticks with me though is the sheer passion of everyone at Newtek for the products and what you can do with it, I tend to go to a lot of product plugging events as part of the day job, and I can honestly say that I have never had such a strong impression of an entire team with passion for what they they are doing. Also a genuine and strong desire to talk to the users, and hear what they have to say.

There's has been a lot of cristicism of Newtek's direction and willingness to listen to users from some quarters in these forums - and I would be prepared to wager a considerable sum that no one last light was in any doubt about their commitment.

Anyway, nice to meet some new users too - and if anyone wants to join us for the next Lightwave Londion User Group, (or boozer group as it seems to be known now), you are VERY welcome.

There's a Yahoo group set up (lwuk):
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lwuk/

Or we'll start a new thread in the user groups area on this system. As the other one is gigantic, and not now notifying those subscribed.

Nick

Sounds like you had a fab time. Hope I can unchain myself from work to make a 'boozer group' meeting one evening. A new thread for UK users here would be a great idea.

Limbus
01-25-2007, 04:59 AM
Wish I'd have taken more photos!

Thanks for the pics. And excelent choice of beer there (its Becks, right?)

Florian

Kuzey
01-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Ahhh....only if I knew it was an official Newtek gig and not what I thought it was until two days ago....an unofficial Newtek Europe gig. Otherwise I would have gone or came or even tried swimming to get there...since I'm closer to the UK than ever before. :hey: :hey:

So how many people were there and was LW UB demoed by any chance :D

kuzey

Matt
01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm guessing around 50-60 people excluding NewTek staff, and I'm afraid no Univeral Binary of LightWave was shown as it was all done on Windows box.

Kuzey
01-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Worth a shot on the UB front...sounds like everyone had a great time :D

Kuzey

Bog
01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
It was a sterling time. It's great to see the passion that NewTek bring to their work in person, and the free beer never hurts. On a personal note, I apologise for terrorising Phil Nelson, it's just he's such a genuinely nice bloke that freaking him out a little was just too tempting :D

kilvano
01-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Anyone get free Speededit copies?

Bog
01-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Starbase1 won it :D

Anti-Distinctly
01-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah, darn you. I won a copy of 'Kick ***** Logos!'.
Awesome :|

DogBoy
01-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah, darn you. I won a copy of 'Kick ***** Logos!'.
Awesome :|

hey, it must be "kick *****", Jim Plant tried to steal my copy :D

starbase1
01-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Anyone get free Speededit copies?

Oh Yes!
:thumbsup: :D :hey:

badllarma
01-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Well just got back home (the joys of public transport in the UK) :rolleyes:

First a BIG thanks to Dan (Dogboy) a true gent I would no doubt still be on the London under ground now heading towards the Hilton if it was not for him taking me under his wing so to speak also for introducing me to the rest of the Southern users down there. Thanks mate I own you one.

Bog, Ben, Starbase1 and every one else I met very please to meet you guys, I'm afraid names are not my strongest point :foreheads

Managed a chat with Jay Roth, or was it more of an interrogation :D typical northerner "Hi Jay when we going to see x ( X being something that has been mentioned in the 9.x release but I wanted to pin him down on a time frame) in Lightwave". Yes they were my first words :) He was very nice could not give me a time frame but I did find out a little more than I did. I'm not going to say what x is only it's something I need ASAP for a in house project and I know what this place is like for rummer...............

Also had a chat to Phil Nelson who cleared up a licensing worry I had so SpeedEdit will be getting installed as soon as I finish on this board.

Ben Vost very nice to see you, who also joined us for a bite to eat after the event.

From a personal point of view of the event I'd say it really needs to be longer especially since a lot of the Newtek staff had flow in it would be better for you all to have a days rest then maybe have a full afternoon for the event So Phil could maybe show us how to do a full project including colour correction etc with SpeedEdit then Andy Bishop could give us more time on Lightwave, the work he showed us on the night was kick arse guys BTW.

Also Newtek PLEASE consider a more central venue for the next UK event I know this time you had basically flown in, did the event, slept (very little no doubt) , then flown back but maybe a little more time at the next one will allow you to consider maybe Birmingham (Which I live no where near BTW :) ) this would allow a lot of us northerner users to catch the event as well.

One last tip on the 1000 sale of SpeedEdit invest in another radio mic :D

Finally for Colkai, Irene is very nice but you should see the members of the fairer sex from Newtek Europe :thumbsup:

Anti-Distinctly
01-25-2007, 10:00 AM
hey, it must be "kick *****", Jim Plant tried to steal my copy :D

Hehe, I'm sure it is. I haven't checked it out yet and I'm grateful for it.
Was nice to meet people in person again/for the first time.
Good to finally meet that person I bug all the time over the phone Mr Vost :)
Didn't get a chance to talk to Jay, though it's probably a good thing, I didn't want to bombard the poor guy. I did want to say thank you to him though.

Chuck
01-25-2007, 11:14 AM
It was a sterling time. It's great to see the passion that NewTek bring to their work in person, and the free beer never hurts. On a personal note, I apologise for terrorising Phil Nelson, it's just he's such a genuinely nice bloke that freaking him out a little was just too tempting :D

You freaked out Philip? :eek: That's actually not easy to do! ;)

Okay, how do I manage to get you a big mug of your favorite brew in your favorite pub over there? :beerchug:

WaxSteel
01-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Ah, finally found the thread... Great event I thought, with the chance to put some faces to names and hey... free booze.

lardbros
01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
... free booze.

Yeah free booze and i didn't touch a drop... there must be something very wrong!!! Good to meet everyone!

parm
01-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Okay, how do I manage to get you a big mug of your favorite brew in your favorite pub over there? :beerchug:

Easy enough. Just fly over for the next London LW boozers (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62393) er users meeting. There was loads of empty rooms at the Hilton :)

Anti-Distinctly
01-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Ah, finally found the thread... Great event I thought, with the chance to put some faces to names and hey... free booze.

Nice of you to join us. Kept the same name I see? :D

Jim Plant
01-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Dog Boy wrote: >>>hey, it must be "kick *****", Jim Plant tried to steal my copy <<<

Almost pulled it off too...oh well.

Seriously though, it was great to meet you guys...it was a great event.

Irene and I are sitting at the airport in Houston, waiting to catch our flight to San Antonio. We're almost home!

-Jim

Bog
01-25-2007, 07:09 PM
You freaked out Philip? :eek: That's actually not easy to do! ;)

I love a challenge :D And you can get me a nice big frosty mug in San Diego later this year! As I've scrawled "OR BUST" on the Sig '07 shirt I got last year ;)

Safe Journey to you Jim and Irene and the rest of the gang. It was great to see you again, and get that warm, fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing that even us users on this funny, weathered isle are important to you.

WaxSteel
01-26-2007, 02:40 AM
Nice of you to join us. Kept the same name I see? :D

Oh yus...now its the same as at spinquad...I'll wait for the related copyright injunction to arrive later from Mainframe.

Matt
01-26-2007, 03:34 AM
Safe Journey to you Jim and Irene and the rest of the gang. It was great to see you again, and get that warm, fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing that even us users on this funny, weathered isle are important to you.

What he said! :)

BeeVee
01-26-2007, 03:40 AM
It was extremely good to get to meet and re-meet the avatars I see every day on the forum, and I would have loved to have seen more of you (not with clothes off! Just more people!) - didn't even know you'd come Jaffro for instance... weren't those canapés great? As for the restaurant that Ben Haines picked, well I could have done without the forced march all the way up Park Lane, but it was certainly worth it! :D

B

Bog
01-26-2007, 03:57 AM
Even if it didn't serve booze.

DogBoy
01-26-2007, 04:27 AM
I'm thinking about selling my apple smoked lungs as a luxury item at Harrods :D .

Anti-Distinctly
01-26-2007, 04:48 AM
weren't those canapés great?

No...No they were not.
I'm so refined...

badllarma
01-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Even if it didn't serve booze.

Yup I thought these guys are being REALLY good, orange juice, water, tea gets to me "Beer please!" Nervously looks around the table err....... no booze here mate, I would have fallen off my chair if I had the room :D

Top place though Ben looking forward to seeing the pictures of several members of table using the traditional pipe that was going around :)

dsol
01-26-2007, 07:00 AM
I'd booked my place but had to bail out at the last minute. Stupid deadlines. Looks like a interesting event and would have been nice to meet some of the forum-ites in the flesh. Hopefully NT will be organising something similar on the return leg of (what I assume is) a pan-european tour.

starbase1
01-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I'd booked my place but had to bail out at the last minute. Stupid deadlines. Looks like a interesting event and would have been nice to meet some of the forum-ites in the flesh. Hopefully NT will be organising something similar on the return leg of (what I assume is) a pan-european tour.

Dsol, see the london lightwave thread in the user groups forum,. and come along! Same to everyone else!

DogBoy
01-26-2007, 07:35 AM

Pity. You weren't the only one who had to bail in the end.

I think that WAS the return leg.

Maybe you should come down to the London LightWave boozers meet to drown your sorrows ;)

*EDIT* Nick, beat me to it again.

Jaffro
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
It was extremely good to get to meet and re-meet the avatars I see every day on the forum, and I would have loved to have seen more of you (not with clothes off! Just more people!) - didn't even know you'd come Jaffro for instance... B

Its cause I didn't make it ben :) Suffered the deadline fate like dsol. Next time next time... *sigh*

pnelson
01-26-2007, 08:54 PM
You guys ROCK! I had a great time meeting our pals from London!

Next time I promise to stay more than 24 hours. ;) I got some funny pictures that I thought you would enjoy.. For the locals you may not see the humor but remember.. I have the send of humor of a 13 year old..

Pics can be viewed at "Behind the Scenes at NewTek"..

http://www.newtek.com/newtek/behind/gallery/London2007

If you have pics that you would like for me to add, send them to pnelsonATNewTek.com

Yes it True.. Bog has a special talent for being disturbing..

Matt
01-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I got some funny pictures that I thought you would enjoy.. For the locals you may not see the humor but remember.. I have the send of humor of a 13 year old..

Don't worry Phil, we find those names funny too, England has some daft place names!

Jaffro
01-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Pratts Bottom is just down the road from me, not sure if thats better or worse than cockfosters! :/

Looks like you guys had a good short stay in't ole london! Come back for a UK tour! hehe