PDA

View Full Version : Advice: change surface with rotation

Johnny
01-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I have an idea that involves a flat shap rotating with respect to the camera. what I'd like is that each time one of the surfaces becomes visible to the camera, there's a different surface on it, or different image mapped to it.

one idea I had was to make a movie of the changing surfaces, time the change to coincide with the face becoming visible to the camera, and use a light to beam the movie onto that face, but that sort of seems like using a cannon to swat a fly...

any thoughts on what might be more elegant and less tricky?

thanks!

J

Wonderpup
01-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Maybe stack up some layers and animate their opacity? Not much better but at least you have more control of when the layers are visible.

Surrealist.
01-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Seems like you could rig that with a gradient somehow with distance to object or camera or somthing to that effect and link it to opacity as above.

avkills
01-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I like Wonderpup's idea, which is in fact what I did for a project I am working on right now. I used the standard surfacing and had 2 layers, and just used an envelope on one of the layers opacity to make a smooth fade to another image. Worked great. On that face, I only needed 2 images, so it seemed like the best way to do it.

But I think you could use an animated movie also, which might work better if you run out of memory for textures.

-mark