PDA

View Full Version : User Groups : Current status in 2007?

kevman3d
01-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Well, I figured I haven't posted here for some time. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start a thread for 2007 for currently active user groups (or non-active ones) can post up a short overview of who, where and when... I know there were a few that just seem to have gone quiet...

Heres the low-down on our current status in New Zealand.

The NZ LWUG 'Kiwavers' (Kee-wavers) is still running every month since it began end 1997, early 1998 - Nine years, and still going - Wow! I was wondering where my life had gone! lol! :D

Where and When
We currently run meetings every third Thursday of the month, at Natcoll Design Technology (http://www.natcoll.ac.nz) in Auckland, a training college that teaches Graphic Design, Multimedia and Animation (LW and Maya).

What we do
Its a social gathering and chance for users to network. One of the goals of the group was to also provide some kind of 'free' user support hub here in NZ, but we also watch animations, we talk 3D and about what's happening locally, occasionally we have a competition (very occasionally, that is) and we try and encourage people to show and talk about their work. I often attempt to compile some demos, tutorials or examples to give the meetings a little educational value...

INFO
The Kiwavers mailing list is still running, and is the best way to keep in touch with what's going on locally here for meetings and LW related news and updates.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/kiwavers/

Website STILL hasn't properly been put together - I've paid for hosting for a few years now (without a site - very sad) and the old one at geocities hasn't been touched in a few years now... One day... lol! :cursin:

So, how about everyone else?

kopperdrake
01-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Well we're not a user group but a bunch of UK midland's LWers are meeting on Sat 27th Jan at The Tap & Spile, Gas Street (off Broad Street) in Birmingham. No time set yet that I know of - more the merrier :D