PDA

View Full Version : Using LW-9 trial version, always hangs after rendering a while. Is this a known issue

OcatilloPicture
01-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I am using LW 9 Trial on an HP xw 8200 workstation with 2 gigs ram and dual Xeon processors. I can render a scene with about 2 M polys that is primarily a camera move thru an architectural landscape relatively quickly without problem... for a while... but then the renderer hangs, always about midway thru the scene (150X) but always on different frames.

My graphics card is a Matrox Axio set up with an NVidia Quadro FX 1400 card.

So is there something that can be done to make LW render from start to finish or is quirky behavior still standard for this new version?

Thanks.

Terry

OcatilloPicture
01-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm saving as an image sequence, Targas, I believe.

gjjackson
01-14-2007, 11:49 AM
you could post your scene so we can determine if it's only your config.

OcatilloPicture
01-14-2007, 10:00 PM
How much of the scene do you need to determine a problem? I can easily send you the LW scene file, but all the objects and images will make this a huge upload. I would need an FTP site to do that.

I would like to know if it's me or LW since not being able to render with LW9 is a real disincentive to upgrading.

By the way, the info on the rendering window states that the scene is only using around 300 MB of memory. One would think that 2 gigs would be plenty of buffer! However, when the scene locks up and I check program manager (or whatever they call the box that pops up with control/alt/delete) it states that Lightwave is using around 1700 megs of memory. Could render be caching something by mistake and not flushing the memory when it starts to fill up? BTW, I do not have radiosity or shadow maps on or being cached.

Terry

Surrealist.
01-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Lightwave will rewrite your config when you load it up if there is no config file in the folder. If you know where this is stored on your system, you can do a little experiment. Create a back up folder and move all LW your config files into that folder. I have had LW as well as Modler crash on start up - not your problem - but I solved it by forcing to LW to rewrite the config files on start up. This might be a way just see if the config file is the problem. You will lose any custom set ups with your menus. But you can save those into separate config files from the Edit Menu Layout window by clicking on the save button. You can reload this later and get your menu kayout back. LW will then rewrite this into the config file when you close it, unless it crashes after that session ,then you'll have to load it up again. But once you do a clean exit from the program those settings will be saved in the config.

Surrealist.
02-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Did you ever get this sorted out?