PDA

View Full Version : moving footage in lighting options?

Sentinel45
01-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Is it possible to put moving footage, as opposed to still images, in your options for spotlights? The reason I'm asking has to do with some river footage I shot a while back. I was trying to create an ocean/lake scene (based upon something I learned off an ocean tutorial) and I thought I could project it onto the surface and animate it this way. Any thoughts?

DMarkwick
01-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Actually you use cameras for this. You position your camera (now called a projector) and when you surface your surface you choose front-projection mode and then select the appropriate camera/projector.

SplineGod
01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
You can apply any texture to a spotlight and project something that way.
The problem youll have is it pixelating depending on the cone angle. I would apply the footage as a texture map.

Sentinel45
01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Actually you use cameras for this. You position your camera (now called a projector) and when you surface your surface you choose front-projection mode and then select the appropriate camera/projector.

How do I change my camera into a projector? I've been looking through the manual and I haven't found any instructions how to do it. Something I missed?

SplineGod
01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Its called Front Projection.

DMarkwick
01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
How do I change my camera into a projector? I've been looking through the manual and I haven't found any instructions how to do it. Something I missed?

You don't change the camera into a projector, you use it as one. You set your camera pointing to the surface you want to project onto, then in the surface editor you select Front Projection instead of Planar or UV etc. You will then be allowed to select which camera is used to project the image, and obviously you'll need to select the image too.

toby
01-17-2007, 03:58 PM
You can use either cameras or spotlights for this - you'd use a spotlight with an image sequence to mimic a movie projector for example, because you can add volumetrics to it. Spotlight projections hit everything they're aimed at, camera projections are set up per-surface, in a texture channel in the surface of your object.