PDA

View Full Version : vector move

3dworks
01-12-2007, 09:08 AM
probably i'm missing something, but wasn't there a vector move constraint in layout? i'm trying to move a spotlight along it's light direction vector.

markus

Surrealist.
01-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I seem to remember something about this coming up before. I am sure there are many fancy plugins for this lind of thing. There might even be a motion modifer already but I can't off hand remeber one that would do it.

But for now the simplest set up is this:

Create a light in 0,0,0.

Dissable all motion channels exept Z. Make sure all motion and roatate channels are at 0

Parent this light to a null object. Now if you have a light set up already you could position the null where the light is. Otherwise set it at origin as well.

Use the null to move, aim and size your light. Use the light's Z channel to move it along its vector.

From here you can get creative with the use of nulls. You can have a whole light rig set up this way. Very simple and powerful way to move things.

3dworks
01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
thanks for the tip! still, i wish a move/scale gizmo within LW with normal/ camera and light direction vectors one day :)

tajino
01-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Alternatively, set the Coordinate system to Local, and move the Light along its Z, will contraint it to its vector.

Surrealist.
01-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Ha! There you go. I had a nagging feeling he was right, something we were over looking! I've never had reason to use it for that!

Duh!

Dodgy
01-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I think if you hold ctrl and drag, cameras and lights will move along their local z directions.

Surrealist.
01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Sheezzz! Now that one I did not even know! Thank you.