PDA

View Full Version : LW [7.5] Mac Bug Workshop

mlinde
06-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Chuck, here's a list of outstanding things I've noticed. It's far from complete, but all of these issues have been corroborated by other users. The format may be familiar, this was the format people were using before the 7.5 b/c patches came out:

001 (6.0+)
Scene file incompatibility between Mac/Win platforms.
Most plug-ins and features that utilize external files do not utilize the platform independent delimiter (/) and pathing relative to the content directory. This includes (but is not limited to) render output files (images and animations), particle files, image filters (Image Processing), and skytracer settings. It seems like whenever I test for this it is wrong. The only place it appears to work correctly is surfaces (via surface editor), images (via image editor) and objects. I submitted this as a bug 3-6 months ago (if not longer). The workaround is to manually edit the scene files to have the appropriate directory path delimiter and path.

002 (7.0+)
Spreadsheet creates multiple instances of itself in a scene file.
Every time you launch spreadsheet it creates an additional reference to itself in the scene file. When you go to render the scene, it freezes up on loading the scene to render. The workaround is to manually edit out spreadsheet references in the scene files.

003 (7.5c)
File(); command in LScript 2.6.1 does not work, causes application crash.
Any LScript that utilizes the File(); command to read or write files to disk will crash LightWave or Modeler. I submitted this as a bug on 5/21/03 with details on replication. No known workaround.

004 (7.0+)
Screamernet recognizes cross-platform CPUs but cannot parse scene files.
Basically the controller cannot parse the directory path for both Mac and Windows. I submitted a detailed explanation of this 4-6 months ago, if not longer. Jon Baker's ScreamerNet Controller is the workaround.

005 (7.0+)
Screamernet nodes randomly crash when loading scenes or frames (with built in controller). They also randomly crash when first polled for use. In addition, you cannot manually enter commands in the SN interface command line (it does not work), the menus don't work, and the file i/o buttons don't work. Of course, the buttons and command line may work but are not adequately documented. You can restart crashed nodes (if they crashed on scene load) and they will continue to render.

006 (7.5+)
JPEG.p causes crashes on machines with less than 16 MB VRAM.
This issue affects all Mac laptops produced before Summer 2002, and iBooks into December 2002. I reported this about 4 months ago. The workaround is to deinstall JPEG.p and allow QTTools.p to handle jpeg images.

007 (7.5c)
Modeler crashes upon launch.
This occurs on G3 based machines, or ATI graphics cards or some combination of the two. I cannot verify if it is all G3 machines or all ATI cards. I have tested two significantly different combinations. I have used the same installer that was successful on a G4 desktop. There is no workaround.

Scazzino
06-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Hi mlinde,

I'd be happy to help develop some reproducible bug reports to get some of these outstanding issues resolved...

-- 001 (6.0+)
-- Scene file incompatibility between Mac/Win platforms.

I only use LW on the Mac, so I can't help on that one... anyone else?

-- 002 (7.0+)
-- Spreadsheet creates multiple instances of itself in a scene file.

I think this has been reported and known... until it can be resolved, you are correct, removing all such instances in a text editor prevents such crashes in LWSN. I've only seen this cause problems with LWSN though, is it also interferring with LW itself from rendering??

-- 003 (7.5c)
-- File(); command in LScript 2.6.1 does not work, causes application crash.

I know you stated you reported this already, but if you post some steps to reproduce here, I'll confirm it for you and report it again, sometimes multiple confirmations help isolate specific causes.

-- 004 (7.0+)
-- Screamernet recognizes cross-platform CPUs but cannot parse scene files.

I'm only using LW Mac so I can't help here... anyone else?

-- 005 (7.0+)
-- Screamernet nodes randomly crash when loading scenes or frames (with built in controller).

I've seen this alot mostly related to spreadsheet instances. Is it still happening even after you remove all such instances?

-- They also randomly crash when first polled for use.

I have seen this happen but have not been able to pinpoint the cause. I have found that it usually only happens when getting them going on the first scene. Once they are up running and rendering, they tend to keep going and rarely crash (though sometimes they do) as new scenes are fed from the queue.

-- In addition, you cannot manually enter commands in the SN interface command line (it does not work)

Can you give specifics, I've used both the dialog box based command line (though you have to type, copy/paste doesn't seem to work anymore in OSX) as well as the cmdLine files. They are not fully documented for the Mac and there are a few pitfalls, like knowing to start all relative paths with a leading colon (I'm in the process of posting a web page about using Mac LWSN) but once you get them resolved, they do seem to work...

-- the menus don't work, and the file i/o buttons don't work.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, which menus and file i/o buttons? I typically edit the cmdLine file and just launch LWSN without using any other menus or buttons... Do you mean the menus & buttons in the network controller panel?

-- Of course, the buttons and command line may work but are not adequately documented.

I agree that the documentation for Mac LWSN needs to be greatly improved... and the built in network controller is quite limited. I prefer ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X much better...

-- You can restart crashed nodes (if they crashed on scene load) and they will continue to render.

True, sometimes when I set up the nodes to render, some of the nodes will crash on loading their first scene, if they do, relaunching them usually lets them start rendering and keep going without further crashes... If we can pinpoint and reproduce this, it might be fixable... if we can't reproduce it, it's not so easy for NT to fix it...

I think this could possibly be a network controller issue since it stopped happening when I switched to ScreamerNet Controller for OS X rather than using the built in network controller...

-- 006 (7.5+)
-- JPEG.p causes crashes on machines with less than 16 MB VRAM.

I'll try to confirm this for you and re-report it...

-- 007 (7.5c)
-- Modeler crashes upon launch.

I've just confirmed this on older machines (G3's with ATI boards) and have re-reported it with two different machine configuration details...

-MikeS

Chuck
06-18-2003, 10:19 AM
This thread is for the purpose of reporting and confirming issues in LightWave. The format used will be the one Riki developed, where items are given a number as they are reported, and that way users can reference the number when they test and confirm. We've begun with the above couple of messages from Michael Linde and Michael S.

mlinde
06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Running 7.5c:
1) Launch Modeler.
2) Select File:Load object into layer:
3) Select an object (any object)
4) Watch Modeler crash.

This function (load into layer) is an LScript. I edited the hell out of it with breakpoints to discover that the script will run until the File(); command is called.

I then tried my own LaunchMode3 LScript, which writes out LWSN cmdline files. It also crashed.

Another user reported problems with ACS4, which also uses the File() command to access read/write functions.

Scazzino
06-18-2003, 11:49 AM
CONFIRMED:

On mine it's not crashing, but I get an error stating: Unable to open object file.

This is VERY similar to this bug I reported myself a while back:

When I try to use "save layers as object" from modeler, I either get an error or a crash.

Steps to reproduce

Open Modeler
Load Object: Objects:MeniThings:Bots:Servo:CAGE_Servo.lwo
File->Save Layers as Object: Test.lwo

Here I either get an error: "Unable to open object file."

or a crash:

That bug was confirmed and is still there in 7.5c. It is most likely the same bug your reporting... I'll report it again... including your additional info, I hadn't narrowed it down to a File L-Script bug...

-MikeS

toby
06-18-2003, 03:36 PM
No multiple instances of spreadsheet unless I "load items from scene" and both scenes have it

"load object into layer" error: "Unable to open object file" 5 times with 5 different objects. No crashes.

"Save layers as object" 1 crash, 4 errors - "Unable to open object file"

G4, 450dp, 1gb, GeForce2, OS10.2.3, 7.5c

Scazzino
06-19-2003, 07:51 AM
CONFIRMED

1) Launch Layout
2) Open image editor
3) Load any jpg image

Crash, type 3.

4) Remove JPEG.p
5) Relaunch Layout
6) Open image editor
7) Load same jpg image

Then it won't crash...

PowerBook G3/233MHz "Wallstreet" with 288MB RAM, ATIRage (I think) System Profiler identifies it as "ATY,264LT-G", Mac OS 9.1

-MikeS

Scazzino
06-19-2003, 09:22 AM
002 No multiple instances of spreadsheet unless I "load items from scene" and both scenes have it

I have seen scenes with multiple instances of the spreadsheet in them, not sure how they got there though...

If you removed the spreadsheet from the scene in Layout (Scene-Master Plug Ins), it would still leave parts in the scene file... usually this didn't hurt Layout, but sometimes crashed LWSN when loading the scene.

After removing spreadsheet, you'd still see things like this in the scene file:

Plugin MasterHandler 1 .SpreadsheetStandardBanks
EndPlugin

Manually stripping everything to do with the spreadsheet out of the scene text file was the workaround for LWSN...

-MikeS

eblu
06-23-2003, 01:53 PM
008 (7.5c)
Motion designer is compromised.
1 object file containing 2 layers, each layer containing one object with one surface name.
open the MD Controller, click the Property button,
in the objects tab
activate each layer, and turn on the target option for each layer.
(do not double click Target because that causes a crash)
click on the surfaces tab.
at least One and sometimes Both of the objects in the surface tab HAVE NO SURFACES AVAILABLE! This means essentially that Motion Designer will not work. This is Not the behavior of the same object on the PC and It is not Consistent, except for the fact that it is always missing at least One Surface.

toby
06-23-2003, 04:14 PM
I think you're always supposed to use 2 different objects instead of 2 layers of the same - Larry Schultz had a problem with MD that he fixed by saving layers to separate objects. (on a pc)

eblu
06-24-2003, 07:28 AM
(008)

toby... does that make this not a bug? I think Not.
but I'll try that, thanx.

*update*
nope. whatever larry Shultz was having difficulty with, it aint this.
I saved 2 completely new objects, each in one layer, and with one surface. when Activated in MotionDesigner, both surfaces were not showing up in the surfaces TAB. This is definetly Not the same thing Larry was having a problem with.

tried to add an image, but to no avail.

more info.
typing in the value for the Target seems to be the problem. It puts MD into a sort of Limbo where objects are only partially activated.
But dragging the value, or double clicking the value of the Target Variable, as i said Before causes Crashes. So....

(009)
changing some values in the Motion designer Property window, Crashes Liwghtwave.

eblu
06-24-2003, 01:32 PM
(010)
UV mapping does not work properly with multiple discontinuous Maps on one subDivided object.
when you create two or more non-overlapping, discontinuous UV maps for an object, and then apply textures to both UV maps in the same surface, the result is bad. There is an Overlap of the textures (in my subdivision tests), a ripping effect, and one of the textures is duplicated and inverted on triangles around the edge of the surface. See images below for examples.

in the examples, the head was textured with a red image, and a blue to white gradient.

mlinde
06-25-2003, 09:11 AM
(011) Hub functionality issues

Automatic Shutdown does not work.
Automatic Save does not work.

Although it is more difficult to track down, the Hub appears to lose sync at either a certain point/poly count or after a scene becomes a certain size, or after a certain number of modeler/layout switches.

Get/Put does not work consistently.

mlinde
06-25-2003, 01:12 PM
(012) Shadow problems?

Use the objects & scene loaded here for reference.

When rendering the animation, the object shadow does not update, however, when preview render (F9) it does.

1) Load Scene
2) Render frames 0 and 250 using F9
3) Render the animation. The shadow does not rotate/update as it did with the F9 render.

toby
06-25-2003, 01:56 PM
uuuhhhhh... you have cache shadow map on...

mlinde
06-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by toby
uuuhhhhh... you have cache shadow map on...

Uh...can't you cache a shadow map? Why does the option exist if I can't use it?

toby
06-25-2003, 02:20 PM
well yea, you can use it, it just won't update :^)

I just rendered it without the cache and it's ok

mlinde
06-25-2003, 02:43 PM
well yea, you can use it, it just won't update :^)

I just rendered it without the cache and it's ok

Isn't that a bug then?

mlinde
06-25-2003, 02:54 PM
I dunno, it seems like the option should work if it's available, but I may need to RTFM again...

Anyway there is still a problem I don't understand. Here's my F9 render:
http://homepage.mac.com/mlinde/images/F9render.jpg

and here's the same frame from a QT movie. Oh, and the movie does NOT have an alpha channel, it was compressed animation with millions of colors.
http://homepage.mac.com/mlinde/images/QTFrame.jpg

What's with that?

toby
06-25-2003, 05:49 PM
oy ! power went out at my house just as I was about to "Submit Reply"

the cache thing (with shadow maps, caustics and maybe some other things) is to save render time if the objects and lights don't move. Every time you hit F9 it calculates the shadow map, but when you hit F10 it calculates the shadow map once and uses that data for the rest of the frames - if your lights and objects don't move, it would be a waste to calculate the shadows for every frame.

Beamtracer
06-25-2003, 07:54 PM
013 16bpc Photoshop PSD files can cause Image Editor lock up. (LW 7.5 OS X)

Brief Description
1. Load 16bpc Photoshop file into LW Image Editor
2. You can no longer use 32bpc (HDR) images

Detailed Description
1. Make a HDR image:
First, for this experiment, render out a few HDR images. LogLuv will do. Check they are viewable in the Lightwave image editor, then clear the scene. Keep these HDR pix around somewhere... we'll use them later in this experiment.

2. Make a 16bpc Photoshop image:
Render out a 16bpc Photoshop PSD image file, but use the Photoshop PSD Export plug-in that is on the Image Process menu (don't do it from the render menu or you'll only get an 8bpc PSD). Deselect "depth" but select "16-bit". This will produce a 16bpc PSD with alpha.

This file is readable by Adobe Photoshop itself, along with After Effects and even Apple's Preview program (that you have in the Dock in OS X) can read a 16bpc PSD.

3. Load PSD followed by HDR:
Now... load your 16bpc PSD file up in the Image Editor. It should look OK. Then load up those other HDR images into the same Image Editor. From my experience, the Image Editor can no longer take HDR image files. Even after clearing the scene and starting a fresh scene, Lightwave's ability to use HDR images is lost.

The Workaround
The only way out is to quit Lightwave completely and relaunch. Then you'll be back to normal again.

Psyhke
06-25-2003, 09:09 PM
It's cool to see something like this started. I think it's a great idea, so much so that I can't help but wonder why it's the 'Mac' Bug Workshop. Mac bugs should be sent to Apple, Lightwave bugs should be handled by Newtek.

What I'm getting at is this: Are all these bugs only present on Mac LW? How would anyone know unless they are checked on both Mac and PC? Wouldn't Lightwave, as well as Mac LW, be better served if a semi-official 'Bug Workshop' such as this incorporated both platforms so that 1) even more users would likely contribute to the process and 2) true Mac bugs could be definitively identified by the simple fact that they would be cross-checked on a PC platform.

Food for thought I guess. :cool:

Scazzino
06-26-2003, 07:43 AM
This isn't a bug. It's the way the shadow cache works. You'd only use it for scenes where your shadows are not changing. The shadow maps then only need to be calculated one time and are then reused.

This option should not be used if your shadows are changing over time... or they won't animate. This is the same for any of the other render caches available, such as caustics, etc...

-MikeS

mlinde
06-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by MikeS
This isn't a bug. It's the way the shadow cache works. You'd only use it for scenes where your shadows are not changing. The shadow maps then only need to be calculated one time and are then reused.

This option should not be used if your shadows are changing over time... or they won't animate. This is the same for any of the other render caches available, such as caustics, etc...

-MikeS

I understand that the original issue isn't a bug, what abou the fact that the caustics don't render correctly to a quicktime movie, but the do render correctly in a single-frame image?

I'm noticing the images don't show up correctly, I'll try to find another solution for dispalying them.

Scazzino
06-26-2003, 09:00 AM
what abou the fact that the caustics don't render correctly to a quicktime movie, but the do render correctly in a single-frame image?

I'm noticing the images don't show up correctly, I'll try to find another solution for dispalying them.

Haven't tried rendering caustics directly to QuickTime, since I usually render animations using LWSN, which only renders single frames at a time...

As a workaround, try rendering the scene out to single frame images, then open the resulting frames as an image sequence in QuickTime Player or After Effects to export as a QuickTime movie.

Also make sure your "cache caustics" option is OFF if the caustics need to change over time...

-MikeS

mlinde
06-26-2003, 09:02 AM
(014)
LScript Commander causes crash.
(LW 7.5 -- LScript 2.5)

1) Launch LScript Commander
2) Use it a few times.
3) Quit Lightwave.
4) Launch Lightwave
5) Launch LScript Commander
6) Watch Lightwave crash.

There is a workaround: Delete all the LScript Preference files after using LScript Commander:
LS/GN Prefs, LScript Prefs, LS/CF Prefs, and Command Window Prefs

(Needs to be verified that it was fixed with LScript 2.6.1 or Lightwave 7.5c)

toby
06-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Your images are showing up now!

Did you turn off "cache caustics" for that render? I would try that, you really shouldn't have the caches on with a moving object -

But what's the brown spot in the middle?

mlinde
06-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Did you turn off "cache caustics" for that render? I would try that, you really shouldn't have the caches on with a moving object -

But what's the brown spot in the middle?

So cache caustics was also a culprit, I guess I'm asking too much and not reading enough. Ignore the brown spot, I was playing with clip maps.

The odd thing about the caustics is that when the object is stationary, the caustics still change frame to frame, sometimes drastically. Is this normal behaviour? I would expect that without a change in the scene the caustics wouldn't change visually.

toby
06-26-2003, 04:13 PM
if you crank the accuracy way up (as well as the render times) that goes away - I saw it done really nicely once -

wowens
06-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Lukasz Pazera's Auto Character Setup 4 doesn't work with Lightwave 7.5c on a Mac G4 Dual 500 using OS 10.2.6. It appears it cannot link to any ACS 4 external files.

mlinde
06-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by wowens
Lukasz Pazera's Auto Character Setup 4 doesn't work with Lightwave 7.5c on a Mac G4 Dual 500 using OS 10.2.6. It appears it cannot link to any ACS 4 external files.

This is caused by the LScript File(); bug. The workaround is to install the lcore3.shlb from your 7.5 CD over the versions shipped with 7.5c

wowens
06-30-2003, 01:44 PM
I have Lightwave 7 on CD-ROM. I downloaded 7.5 from the NewTek Web site. I cannot find a URL to versions prior to version 7.5c on the Web site. Is there an appropriate lcore3.shlb file on the Lightwave 7 CD-ROM?

mlinde
06-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by wowens
I have Lightwave 7 on CD-ROM. I downloaded 7.5 from the NewTek Web site. I cannot find a URL to versions prior to version 7.5c on the Web site. Is there an appropriate lcore3.shlb file on the Lightwave 7 CD-ROM?

I don't know if it will work, you can certainly give it a try.

You could also try this, and see if it's the 7.5 vanilla update:
http://images.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/LightWave_Mac/lw75/LightWave_7.5_Update-Mac.sit

mh123
07-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Sorry, had BRDF on. (':(')

PLEASE IGNORE:

{
specular blow-out

Specular slider values above 0 are rendered as 100 percent. That is, specular slider at 1 looks identical to specular slider at 100.
}

toby
07-04-2003, 04:45 PM
The "Distance to Object" Gradient (including x,y and z distance) has been dropping it's reference object for some time now. I had the same problem in 6.0 or 6.5, don't know when it started.

I'm guessing it happens while loading the scene, an object with gradient gets loaded before the reference object, but this also happens with displacement map gradients.

edit
I should be more specific -
the Distance to Object gradient, when set to reference an object, will work fine until you close the scene and re-open it. As far as I can tell it happens every single time you re-load the scene, or it doesn't get saved with the scene or object. Once you load the scene you must go thru and switch them all back from 'none' to the object you want to reference.

OnePerson
07-05-2003, 07:41 AM
Would this be the same problem in Modeler using the import command? Every time I try to import an EPSF it crashes Modeler. No matter what setting I have chosen in the window. I have set the file from Illustrator to v. 6.

Very frustrated!!

:mad: :confused:

eblu
07-07-2003, 08:33 AM
onePerson,
try saving the eps as vers 5.5 compatible.

paintboy
07-07-2003, 01:26 PM
i use ver 8...
but i think its more important that the file is a valid .eps
not just an illustrator file.

OnePerson
07-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Paintboy and eblu,

Thanks for the suggestions.

eblu, I tried the Illustrator eps 5.0/5.5 version. Modeler didn't crash. But once I clicked on Auto Axis Drill. Then clicked "OK", Boom! "Sorry Modeler unexpectiedly quit."

I know it works in version 7.0 we have that at work. I even upgraded to the 7.5b version an had no problems them there either. I'm just thoroughly confused and disappointed.

I am using a PowerMac G4 Dual 450/ 1.75MB RAM, two displays and LW 7.5c. This has never worked since I got my copy of 7.5?!

The ESPF import is a very important tool and is a big time saver as you know.

Are others have a similar problem?

One

eblu
07-09-2003, 11:55 AM
(015) i think.... 7.5c
cache radiosity... does nothing.
what i have been lead to believe is that toggling the cache radiosity button to the on position, should save the radiosity solution for the first frame, and then apply it to every consecutive frame, kinda like cache shadow map. This should save a great deal of render time, and it should be useful for fly throughs. This does not happen. cache radiosity appears to do absolutely nothing. its almost as if it was disabled for some reason, or never implemented.

solar power
07-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Someone said:

"The ESPF import is a very important tool and is a big time saver as you know.

Are others have a similar problem? "

(It took many, many hours of digging for this info...I feel obligated to
post it...because it made my life much better)

The default installation of LW seems to have a few probs...at least in every
install I've participated in on OSX...certain plugs like the EPSF loader are
located in the wrong folder....in Plugins/Modeling/ I think....but it needs
to be in

/Applications/LightWave/Plugins/Input-Output/

in order to work......you'll also find the EPSExport.p there.

Some plugins have to be deleted then re-added in the Edit Plugins window in
order to work. This effects the AutoPatcher.....and others I can't think of
right now.

In Addition....it seems that it is very easy to get corrupted prefs. The
best way to get LW back on its feet if this is the case is to delete all the
LW prefs in

/Users/User_name/Library/Preferences/

and don't forget the 'Modeler.plist' (cause it don't start with L) then run
InitConfigsX located in

/Applications/LightWave/Backup Configs/

Ahh....this knowledge is worth Billions of $$$....Probably this is old news
..but I'm trying to do my best to spread the smarts. (It took me Wayyy toooo
long to find this info).

Ok. End super-newbie Manifesto. Hope it helps someone.

regards,

solarpower

toby
07-09-2003, 04:22 PM
I just played with cache radiosity last night, render times didn't seem to improve from the first frame on! Maybe it eliminates/reduces flicker?

Arnie?

mlinde
07-09-2003, 04:43 PM
1) Create an EPS with an inside/outside shape (I created the side view of a bicycle chain link).
2) Save document (NOTE: the issue with version compatibility is for Illustrator specific features, not EPS features, so I am ignoring it. You cannot save various EPS versions with Freehand. If you save EPS files from Illustrator, 5.0/5.5 is the last version that had no custom features in the Illustrator EPS file)
3) Launch Modeler
4) Select "EPSF Loader" with the following settings:
Standard
PolyLines (Line Polygons)
Auto AxisDrill - on
Auto Centering - on
Scale 0.01

Select your EPS file, click OK, and watch Modeler crash. Now I've never needed PolyLines with Auto AxisDrill (which is the combination that causes the crash) but if you can't do it, it shouldn't be selectable as a combination.

NOTE: Freehand EPS files are not readable by Modeler (at least not Freehand MX files)

luka
07-11-2003, 01:56 AM
hello there I am using LW 7.5c.
I was in the middle of surfacing my object playing around with the specular, gloss and reflection settings and found to my amazement that you don't have to have any of these selected with any kind value to get a reflection or something? So basicly I have no control over my surface.
Anyone else have similar problems
:confused:

toby
07-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Reflection with reflection turned off? Can you elaborate, and are you using any shaders, like fast fresnel

luka
07-11-2003, 03:00 AM
I was just using gradients to control my surface. I have three lights One key light two specular only three fill. I shall do more comprehensive tests

luka
07-12-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm back with graphic evidence of a ray-trace reflection bug. I have a rendered the scene with ray-trace reflection off and then on although I haven't selected a reflection value for my surface it still reflects?

toby
07-12-2003, 03:09 PM
interesting - I can't duplicate this
the first image looks like you have fast fresnel on - but not ness. in the second - have you changed reflection options to see what happens? Maybe post the object

Kuzey
07-12-2003, 07:47 PM

Layout crash on launch.

Details:
Strawberry imac (yes I know it's old)
Memory:160mb
Processor: PowerPC G3

Funny thing...modeler works fine on this system but crashes on my ibook. Yet, layout works fine on my ibook and crashes on this system....go figure :p

Kuzey

luka
07-12-2003, 11:40 PM
interesting - I can't duplicate this
the first image looks like you have fast fresnel on - but not ness. in the second - have you changed reflection options to see what happens? Maybe post the object

Hi Toby
I have just finished another test, to my surprise when you use a gradient in the reflection channel it overrides the ray-trace reflection setting in the render menu. Is that meant to be like that?

toby
07-13-2003, 12:58 AM
but in your first images, you have no texture assigned to the reflection channel - ? - this image looks like a you have a background image, which doesn't require raytracing to give you a reflection.

riki
07-13-2003, 03:48 AM
(019) 7.5c OS9.2

I'm getting odd results with the Julienne Tool. It only seems to be working properly on the X Axis. If I create a box object and apply the Julienne Tool on the Y or Z Axis, the resulting segments are not evenly spaced but scrunched up together at one end. The results seem to be random and vary. Also the new segments that are created in a BG Layer are coming up in odd layers, like Layer 56 on my last test. Not sure whats up with that.

riki
07-13-2003, 03:52 AM
(020) 7.5c OS9.2

I can't Zoom in on an object in Modeler using the Viewport Controls. If I try the Grid sizes jumps from 500mm to 200mm and then to 0.1 um.

Matt
07-13-2003, 05:01 PM
luka - I thought this was a bug too (gradients overriding the main setting) but it happens on all of the controls in the surface editor so I assumed it wasn't (I'm on PC BTW too)

matt

luka
07-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Yes Mat. I am worried now that using gradients actually block any sort of other change in the channel, so lets say if you add a procedural as an added kaos alpha it actually does nothing. This is getting to complecated for me now as I have limited time to work this mess out.

luka
07-13-2003, 07:39 PM
I have just reinstalled LW 7.5 and found that my surface gradients are actually affecting the surface accordingly:D

Tha it so bizzare.

mlinde
07-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Kuzey

Layout crash on launch.

Details:
Strawberry imac (yes I know it's old)
Memory:160mb
Processor: PowerPC G3

Kuzey

Did you create a shortcut in the dock? This error seems familiar, but I need more information. Did you just install LW? Had you just upgraded? Try using the LW icon in the programs file, not from the dock.

Kuzey
07-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Yeap but I just reintalled 7.5c and this time I double clicked the app, not the short cut and the same thing pops up.

Kuzey

mlinde
07-15-2003, 06:26 PM
You may want to track down the 10.1 tool to repair permissions, see if that will help. The message table files have .ENU extensions, I have these:
commsg.ENU
hub_err.ENU
lside_err.ENU
lw_err.enu
mod_err.ENU

riki
07-16-2003, 01:28 AM
(021) 7.5c OS9.2

Mmm what's up with this???

Dr.Evil
07-16-2003, 11:32 AM
I don't know if this qualifies, and we've heard it all before, but the RADEON BUG! We can't use modeler, it just locks up the system....

mlinde
07-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Evil
I don't know if this qualifies, and we've heard it all before, but the RADEON BUG! We can't use modeler, it just locks up the system....

Sorry, I don't think it qualifies because it's not a LW only bug (there are also problems with Maya and other apps).

solar power
07-16-2003, 12:35 PM
and....so far ... it seems to have disappeared in Panther .. so far ...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7807&highlight=panther

fingers crossed ;)

cheers,

//sp

Kuzey
07-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
You may want to track down the 10.1 tool to repair permissions, see if that will help. The message table files have .ENU extensions, I have these:
commsg.ENU
hub_err.ENU
lside_err.ENU
lw_err.enu
mod_err.ENU

Well I can't get the tool to work, I even logged in as root but no luck. I can select volumes but thet repair button doesn't become active....must be something I did a long time ago;)

Anyway, I tried installing a fresh copy of 7.5c here, there and everywhere and finally I got a working version:D :D

Many thanks mlinde!!

Kuzey

riki
07-16-2003, 07:09 PM
(022) 7.5c OS9.2

Mac Lscript Bug

Check out this thread http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5910&goto=lastpost

In the course of trying to trouble shoot a problem with the dugosaurus 'Incremental Saver' it looks like we stumbled onto a mac specific bug with Lscript.

Lscript doesn't seem to be capible of saving a file with the correct file name on the mac platform.

The scripts seems to be working fine for PC users.

solar power
07-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Not sure if this is the same problem but...

I was never able to run the ACS3 scripts in LScript Commander on the Mac in OSX. Every time I tried to run the scripts, LW crashed, most of the time requiring a full machine reboot, and a total rebuild of all LW prefs and settings.

The scripts ran very well in the same version of LW7.5 on the same machine in LW Win via VirtualPC.

http://www.pazur.3d.pl/AutoCharSetup/ACS3_Use.htm

regards,

//sp

riki
07-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

023 When dragging a panel, such as the 'Display Options' panel in Modeler, I get an irritating systems error beep everytime I release the drag bar.

024 Tools in the 'Additional' menu start off being listed in alphabetcial order. But towards the end of the list, they're listed in random order.

025 The 'Gears' (Not 'Gear') creates an object with two inward facing Polygons.

026 I can no longer load PS1 fonts which use to work fine with LW Modeler v 7.5

027 If you save a 'Font List', it fails to automatically load when you next reboot Modeler. I'm also unable to manually load a formerly saved Fontlist using the 'Load List' button.

This means that I have to manually load the fonts each time before I can use the Text Tool. These features use to work fine with earlier versions of LW (ie before the TT option was added to the Mac platform).

028 The 'Make-Text' Lscript (In Additional Menu) doesn't work. It seems to be unable to recognise any fonts in my Systems Folder.

029 The defaul settings for the 'ParametricObj' Tool creates a ball object with an inward facing Polygon.

030 The 'search.html' page in the new downloadable version of 'Lightwave Help' freezes up my Browser (NS7.1).

031 When I launch 'Lightwave Help' (index.html) I get two Browser Error Messages. The Browser can't find pages 'dummy_search.html' and 'Untitled-Frame4'.

032 The Surface Editor disappears beneath the main window when you click to open the Preset Shelf. This makes it difficult to know which surface you working with or to switch quickly back and forth between the two panels.

RonGC
07-19-2003, 01:24 PM
036 Lightwave 7.5c OSX2.4

Layout keeps trashing the menus with several buttons disapearing alltogether, this means i have to trash all the config files and sometimes go through a total reinstall of LW to get my menus fully functional.

riki
07-20-2003, 07:11 AM
(037) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

Toggle Metamesh doesn't seem to work.

NickLambert
07-20-2003, 09:27 AM
I can confirm that I have never been
able to get the HUB to do:

Automatic Shutdown
Automatic Save

riki
07-25-2003, 01:21 AM
I think that's been an issue for some time now.

stib
07-28-2003, 06:07 PM
..like a madman's s%!t.

Field names in the render options settings are reversed. "Even First" renders produce odd-field-first images. This is prolly a PC bug too.

eblu
08-11-2003, 07:38 AM
(39) vers 7.0 -> on Platform all
the preset editor just plain dont work. hasnt since at least 7.0
double click on a material from the surface editor... nothing gets added to the preset editor. do it 30 more times, and it might work once. then getting the preset editor to apply the surface setting, is Just as poor. The just for fun, the preset editor adds 50 copies of your surface to its workspace for the next time you open it. the Preset editor is worse than useless, its Un-reliable.

toby
08-11-2003, 02:43 PM
umm....actually mine works every time

stib
08-11-2003, 05:55 PM
I'm with Eblu. I'm a noob and was reading and re-reading the manual to see what I was doin wrong, until I twigged that it was the preset shelf that's kranky.
You can manually edit the presets on the shelf with a text editor (My text editor has been running hot since I got lightwave).
look in lightwave/programs/presets and you'll see them all
The name, description and thumbnail are on the first line, open one up and you'll get the idea. I did this to add more descriptive titles& comments to my presets.

Deleting and moving presets is also easily done in the finder / on the desktop. You have to restart LW for the changes to take effect.
<edited for length>

Beamtracer
08-12-2003, 11:43 PM
regarding bug (38) "Field Dominance is all over the shop" posted by Stib (above)

When fields are described as Odd or Even it causes confusion. There is no standard to this, as every application is different.

It depends on whether they describe the first line as being line zero or line one. So in the end it means nothing!

What Newtek should do is describe field order as Upper or Lower. This is a better naming convention (like in Adobe After Effects) and avoids this confusion.

mlinde
08-13-2003, 03:03 PM
As far as I know, preview options have never been available on the Mac.

If you want your preview to be smaller in resolution, re-size your windows thereby sizing the preview - if you want a smaller file size, you'll have to save your preview first, open it in Quicktime Pro and export it with the compression you want.

(040) What's up with Preview Options? I don't know what it is supposed to do, but it should either be removed or made functional.

riki
08-15-2003, 07:43 PM
The Preset Shelf does work, but it's kind of like a Russian Airoplane, your just waiting for the wings to fall off :)

Some problems I've noticed:

(041) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

When scrolling through the Libraries 'Drop Down' menu in the 'Preset Shelf' it's almost impossible to get the scrolling action to stop. It just keeps scrolling straight past where you want to go.

(042) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

I've also had problems with dissapearing Presets. The problem seems to only happen occasionally. I'll be moving Presets from one library to the next and they will *sometimes* simply dissapear. It's not a naming issue either. Also if I leave Presets in the Workspace section, they're sometimes not there when I relaunch LW.

(043) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

When you open the Preset Shelf the Surface Editor dissapears behind the main LW APP window. Very annoying. It never used to happen in v7.

(044) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

Presets in each Library can't be sorted by date and aren't in alphabetical order. Something which really bugs me.

(045) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

You can create a library, but I don't think you can delete a library (within the APP). You only have the option to 'Discard Presets' which from memory trashes them all. "Very helpful" :)

(046) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

In the 'Preview Options' I check AA, but this never gets stored with the Preferences. I have to keep setting it ech time.

(047) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c

Also I've sometimes had problems adding Presets to the Shelf. I'll click on the Preview, nothing happens, I click again and again until eventually something happens and I end up with four copies of the same Preset.

That's all for now

Ade
08-17-2003, 12:26 AM
Weld points in modeller causes finder to be in foreground after weld.

10.2.4 7,5c

riki
09-09-2003, 06:38 PM
(048) Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5c Lscript 2.6.1

Why do Lscripts like this freeze my system? They seems to work fine for PC Users. Has any other Mac user tested them? (I used Lscript R/T)

re: 2 New Multibevel and Edge Fillet Lscripts

re: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10751

dirkpitt
09-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Just tried Modeler 7.5c on my iMac DV with 10.2.6 and Layout works but Modeler crashes immediately (bug 007). Is it because I'm running discovery edition? Should I include a CrashReporter log if it might help?

Scazzino
09-12-2003, 09:02 AM
(047) Preset shelf sometimes fails to update when adding presets.

CONFIRMED

I had seen this before and just reconfirmed it... What it's doing is that it really is adding the preset, but it's not updating the preset shelf display. If you notice this happen you can click and release on the library pop-up at the top of the preset shelf and your preset should appear.

That's why if you keep double-clicking the preview, you'll end up with multiple copies of the preset. When the preset shelf is finally updated, you see all the copies you've added. They are there, you just can't see them until you force the preset shelf to update...

claw
09-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Viper seems to be a bit broken in 7.5c, if you make a preview of an animation it will play it as fast as it can and not in the accurate frame-rate, really annoying.

3dworks
09-25-2003, 05:47 AM
(49) 7.5c Mac OSX 10.2.6

if you render an image which size is greater than you screen size and set to display it in image viewer (FP), there is no way to scroll or resize this window. the window itself has has a functional dragable top-bar, but the bottom (or right) border is outside the screen area. the only way to see the rest of the image is to use the drop-down menu and set the scale to 50% or less, but this does not allow to resize the viewer window.

scroll bars, a space-key scroll modus like in photoshop and a green 'fit to screen' button should be added.

LW 7.5c on mac osx 10.2.6.

best regards

markus groeteke
3dworks visual computing

toby
09-25-2003, 10:19 AM
If the image is wider than your screen you can pan around by holding the option key while dragging, but it doesn't seem to work when the image is *only* too tall -

ellispritchard
09-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Some more bugs in 7.5c Mac, not sure if these are all Mac specific:

(048) HyperVoxels - Baking a volume: impossible to change name of output file; inappropriate (native) file requestor and poor editing of field.

(049) Baking a volume: no visible output from HyperVoxels when using baked volume (baked file empty).

(050) ScreamerNet nodes fail to load scene file: just hang on 'load' while using 100% CPU. However, works with 'ScreamerNet Controller' from www.catalystproductions.cc; I believe he has implemented a workaround.

(051) LWSN fails to apply Glow Effect. Claims it is doing so but finishes instantly; works fine on same scene from Layout in frame and scene rendering [Scene attached].

eblu
10-08-2003, 12:08 PM
(052) LW 7.5 OS x 10.2.8
BESM plugin
the ink over feature, stalls lightwave during render, forcing a force-quit.

(053) SAA
hub
it fails to keep Modeller and Layout synced consistently, which is its ONLY Function.

drjohn
10-08-2003, 07:02 PM
I have seen the 7.5c Modeler crash on launch with my 500MHz G3 iBook with OS X 10.2.6.
(It has an ATI graphics card).
The 7.5 version seems to work OK

Dr. john

OnePerson
10-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Just wondering what NT is going to do regarding these issues/bugs we are having to deal with. I posted the bug of not being able to import an Illustrator file with out modeler crashing.

So, the question is this to NT, are they going to release a bug fix for these problems or are we going to be forced to upgrade to LW8 for these fixes.

Waiting for a reply from the folks at NT.

OnePerson

stib
10-13-2003, 08:17 PM
the randu expression is broken. try applying this expression to a channel and see what I mean:

randu(Time)

Have a look at the image below to see the result. Hardly what you'd expect from a random number generator.

No wonder that expression I wrote wasn't working.:mad:

EDIT:
BTW I realise you would never need to use randu(Time) when you could use random(a, b) it's just to illustrate the non-random relationship between the seed value and the function's result.

of course the work around is to make sure that whatever you use as the 'seed" is a large number, or to multiply whatever channel you're using as a seed by a large number.

toby
10-13-2003, 09:03 PM
the ink over feature, stalls lightwave during render, forcing a force-quit.

I can confirm this, I tested a scene which took a few seconds to render, then added BESM 'ink over', hit render and 2 hours later I decided to force quit. No spinning beachball, LW would not redraw.
G4 450 dp, GeForce2mx, LW 7.5c OSX.2.3

Triple G
10-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Lightwave 7.5c, OSX 10.2.4:

There is no box in Object Properties allowing you to check/uncheck "Unseen By Alpha". In the spreadsheet editor, you can make an object Unseen by Alpha, but once there's a check there, you can't remove it. This is the only column that I've noticed to behave this way. The only way to remove the check is to go back into Object properties and manually change the Alpha Channel setting to "Use Surface Settings". Subsequent opening of the Spreadsheet Editor will reveal that the checkmark(s) are now gone.

eblu
10-28-2003, 10:30 AM
(055) Sticky front projection mapped has been broken.
see thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=92656#post92656

3dworks
11-02-2003, 07:34 PM
(056) PSD export plugin/ inexisting path crash

Lightwave 7.5c, OSX 10.2.8

if you render a scene with the PSD export filter activated, which has been set to a non existing path (this can happen when you transfer a scene from one mac to another), LW quits without any warning when the frame is rendered.

markus groeteke
3dworks visual computing

3dworks
11-06-2003, 06:02 AM
LW 7.5c mac osx 10.2.8

very minor bug, but maybe not the only one. i cannot set the shadow map size to a value of more than 16 when dragging the cell inside the spreadsheet. but using the lower part 'change value to' box works.

also, more generally, LW is rock solid in my actual configuration, but as soon i work with spreadsheet, the application quite frequently quits.

best regards

markus groeteke
3dworks visual computing

3dworks
11-06-2003, 06:07 AM
see previous post...

HowardM
11-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Please make a simple scene on a PC.
Make a ball bounce using the Gravity Motion Modifier.
Load it on your MAC.
Does the ball bounce like mad? higher and lower than usual?

Anyone have any insight to this bug? Is it the way they deal with math differently? Is this just a simple NT bug that wasnt tested?

Thanks!

Ade
11-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Whats with this read only error message i get when i open an object file..Its making me re save it as different names too many times..

riki
11-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Check File Info and see if Permissions is set to Read Only

Ade
11-11-2003, 05:35 PM
I did Riki, it seems to do it if Layout is rendering in the back.. Apon closing all the apps and re opening the object, only then does it act normal.

riki
11-11-2003, 05:42 PM
I'm just guessing but it might be becuase the object's being used, if your rendering a scene which includes that object.

Ade
11-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Ahh good theory... Rendering was cancelled though, thats why i went to modeller to change the model and delete the floor. Maybe a hub thing?

toma
11-12-2003, 10:40 AM
(59) > mipmapping doesn't mork when using a texture with uv projection as a bump, this issue is not new…

jasonwestmas
11-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Huh!You may have answered my question Toma. This may be my problem in Maya too. My bumpmap won't render in MipMapping. :D

3dworks
11-14-2003, 02:17 AM
since i have installed panther on my mac, LW 7.5c acts strangely each time i try to move an object. the object jumps away at the moment of picking it, sometimes it disappears from the viewport. this seems to be an open GL issue.

i hope there will be a fix soon, as this makes it very hard to use LW smoothly.

LW 7.5c, G4 Powermac 2x1GHz, NVidia Geforce MX (standard with this Mac), OSX 10.3.1.

best regards

markus groeteke
3dworks visual computing

toby
11-14-2003, 02:25 AM
Apple changed the 'mouse tracking algorithms' or something in Panther. Switch the Input device to Tablet, this will fix it.

3dworks
11-15-2003, 03:24 PM
thanks! - i've seen this hint already in some other posts, i only wanted to report the bug :-)

markus

Ade
11-15-2003, 11:50 PM
Whats with the F9=crash bug?
Starting to really piss me off!
Id say as serious as the ATI bug we had.

Ade
11-17-2003, 03:38 AM
Sticky "T" move tool with high poly models: I have a model with 560K polys when I try and move it around the cursor disappears, it takes some time to move the model, BUT the cursor remains sticky and when i move around it doesnt let go and still moves the model around even if tool is deactivated, I find I have to press esc to cancel... PC doesnt do this.

Ade
11-17-2003, 07:50 AM
Screen refreshing or moving the model, it takes for ever, mouse gets sticky and doesnt let go moving the model and also cpu monitor says modeler is hung (even though it really isnt, but just sloooow).

Ade
11-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Update - trashed prefs and it seemed to help, BUT activates again when u move the object layer BUT there is also a layer in background thats semi on.

Ade
11-20-2003, 06:31 PM
F9=crash bug is still there and becoming unaceptable!

Pooka
11-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Every time i try to use te Pointy Clone Plus tool, the modeler crash.
This happens with 7.5 and 7.5c on system 10.2.8.
Anyone the same problem?

stib
11-27-2003, 07:45 PM
I work in PAL (thank heavens), so my animations are all 25fps. If I add a quicktime movie to a surface, I can choose the start frame for that movie in the image editor, so say I could choose to start the movie at 1 second, ie frame 25. If I put 25 as my start frame, my movie should start at 1 second into the animation.. right?

Nope. Something is stuck in 30fps. The movie starts at frame 21 or thereabouts, ie. 0.833333 of a second, because that's where frame 25 would be if the animation were running at 30 fps. So somewhere the 25 is being converted to seconds, but not back to the animation's actual frame rate. Confused? I was for a longlongtime, wondering why my animated textures weren't *&@^!#ing working properly.

The workaround is easy: type in the actual frame you want it to start, then add *30/25. LW's neat UI that lets you type in equations does the work. So to start at frame 1234, type 1234*30/25 into the start frame field.

watts
12-03-2003, 06:25 PM
All but the VERY simplest boolean subtracts are hanging Modeler.

Anyone else seeing this? I am going nuts.

G5x2 2g, 7.5c Panther

:( javascript:smilie(':(')

riki
12-12-2003, 06:17 PM
(61) OS10.1.5 LW7.5C No LWO or LWS Icons in X

Since upgrading to X I've never seen a LWO or LWS icon on my desktop, tried numerous fixes and work arounds but no joy.

eblu
12-18-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by watts
All but the VERY simplest boolean subtracts are hanging Modeler.

Anyone else seeing this? I am going nuts.

G5x2 2g, 7.5c Panther

:( javascript:smilie(':(')

watts, you probably have at least 2 copies of each polygon occupying the same space in the object you are trying to boolean. It creates a sort of irrevocable loop, that ends up sending the boolean function into a never ending spinning beach ball, and can cause a crash.

riki
12-29-2003, 06:13 PM
(62) OS10.1.5 LW7.5C Preset Shelf Size

I'm not sure how it happens or how you can repeat the problem, but worth mentioning in case someone else knows.

On two or three occassions the size of my Preset Shelf Window has scaled up to about 10 times the size of my monitor, making it impossible to scale it down again.

I'll try to provide more info next time it happens.

watts
12-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by eblu
watts, you probably have at least 2 copies of each polygon occupying the same space in the object you are trying to boolean. It creates a sort of irrevocable loop, that ends up sending the boolean function into a never ending spinning beach ball, and can cause a crash.

You know, that's not out of the question. I will check that and see if that's the problem. I'm much more accustomed to cracking the whip than pulling the cart, and it wouldn't be the first time I'd inadvertantly created duplicate objects right on top of each other.

Thanks!
watts

NigelH
01-09-2004, 08:22 AM
If I use the 'extra channel' button in motion baker on a rotational channel (H,P,B), expressions can reference them just fine. If use it on postion channels (X,Y,Z) and try to reference them in an expression, I get an error message saying that 'a referenced channel does not exist' - when I know for a fact that it does (how else could I select it with the expression builder?).

Workaround (for now) is here (at bottom):
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=119613#post119613

subvoyant
01-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Is there any progress on the graph editor bug? Not being able to use the graph editor makes it difficult to deliver high quality work using lightwave.

thanks,
jason cacioppo
subvoyant

3Demon
02-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys,

Hijacking, cross-posted spam has been removed by Moderator.

plandrey
02-18-2004, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by riki
[B](62) OS10.1.5 LW7.5C Preset Shelf Size

I've got a fix for you, but it'll take some editing of your Lightwave Layout 3 Prefs file found in your Home/Library/Preferences folder....

Open the Layout 3 Prefs file, make a copy of it somewhere safe (incase you mess it up) and use the find tool to locate a line that begins with "WindowShape 1936223334" and follows with 4 more sets of numbers. The first two describe where the window starts with X,Y coordinates, the next two describe the window size. Change these last two numbers to something like 120 and 400. Save the file and launch Layout. Hit the presets button and your window should be about the right size.

I learned this through trial and error when something similar started to happen in Modeler with the Layers Window. This one of the cool things about LW...the prefs files are in English and pretty easy to figure out what's going on, so you can edit to your heart's content. Just be sure to save backups in case you mess something up too much.

etobiason
02-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Mac OS 10.2.8, G5, LW 7.5c

Attempts to clear items from a scene causes Layout to crash. First item(s) clear fine, next items cause crash...

delphin
02-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by subvoyant
Is there any progress on the graph editor bug? Not being able to use the graph editor makes it difficult to deliver high quality work using lightwave.

thanks,
jason cacioppo
subvoyant

Can someone please reply to this?

As he stated above this makes it difficult to work with LightWave.

NigelH
02-29-2004, 09:38 AM
This is an old one, but doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet.

If I edit a surface in Layout and hit the F9 button without 'saving current object' or 'saving all objects' first, Layout crashes. At least, it will allow you to edit without saving objects once after launch, but any subsequent edits will cause Layout to crash when the F9 button is pressed every time (unless the object - not the scene file - is saved first).

This is a HUGE pain in the a** since I don't necessarily want to save every change I make to a surface, and no, Viper doesn't provide adequate feedback in all situatioins to prevent the need for a preview render.

As you can probably guess, I anxiously await Worley Labs' 'FPrime'. Hope it lives up to the hype.

riki
03-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks plandrey, sounds like a good idea. I'll keep it in mind next time.

eblu
03-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by NigelH
This is an old one, but doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet.

If I edit a surface in Layout and hit the F9 button without 'saving current object' or 'saving all objects' first, Layout crashes. At least, it will allow you to edit without saving objects once after launch, but any subsequent edits will cause Layout to crash when the F9 button is pressed every time (unless the object - not the scene file - is saved first).

This is a HUGE pain in the a** since I don't necessarily want to save every change I make to a surface, and no, Viper doesn't provide adequate feedback in all situatioins to prevent the need for a preview render.

As you can probably guess, I anxiously await Worley Labs' 'FPrime'. Hope it lives up to the hype.

NigelH,
are you running the hub, when this happens? It must be a rare problem bc if it wasn't Everybody would be freaking out. Perhaps trashing pref files would help? if you are running it, maybe turning off the hub might help.

NigelH
03-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Eblu, you are quite right. I have been using the hub pretty much constantly since it became fairly stable (well, doesn't crash everytime I move between Layout and Modeler). With the Hub turned off, the problem goes away (so far :-).

Guess I'd forgotten how much it is at the root of several problems.

I'd still count this as a bug, though. Just not with Layout.

Thanks again.

Frostline
03-14-2004, 05:45 PM
:mad:

Craig_L
03-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi,
Having installed Lightwave 7.5c upgrade on a dual processor G5 with Panther, I have found that it crashes out whenever VIPER is launched.. I am using hypervoxels applied to particles; which worked fine with 7.5 & VIPER.. Intensely frustrating; especially with deadlines looming..

Anyone else came across this?

Craig

Frostline
03-15-2004, 06:23 PM
The new Apple 10.3.3 fixes the Graph Editor problem in Lightwave. That's the only thing that I could find out on my system hopefully yours too. I don' t know if it fixes any other problems yet..:rolleyes:

subvoyant
04-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Frostline
The new Apple 10.3.3 fixes the Graph Editor problem in Lightwave. That's the only thing that I could find out on my system hopefully yours too. I don' t know if it fixes any other problems yet..:rolleyes:

Is this true? I havn't installed 10.3.3 yet because it conflicts with the black magic codec, so I can't test it. Has anyone else found this to be true (that the graph editor is fixed under 10.3.3)?

toby
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by subvoyant
Is this true? I havn't installed 10.3.3 yet because it conflicts with the black magic codec, so I can't test it. Has anyone else found this to be true (that the graph editor is fixed under 10.3.3)?

yes, just about everyone has found that the problem has gone under 10.3.3.

munky
04-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi there everyone,

I just want to find out if its not just me. What I've got is a sub divided plane with a textured displacement (ripples2). The plane also has a FX Emitter as a custom object which is set to Object Surface. Also I have a collision FX object set as a plane in erase mode. The idea being that only particles from the tops of the ripples are emmitted, which seems to work when fx start is pressed. However when I use Hypervoxels they just won't render where they should, in fact they won't render at all. This is with LW 7.5c it doesn't happen in 7.0 and it doesn't happen on my PC. Is this just me or is is a Bug to add to the list?

regards

paul

OnePerson
05-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Well, I just tested the EPSF Loader on a Dual G4 450, 1.75GB RAM, Two internal HD, Dual Displays blah blah.

I'm using Illustrator 10 and saving files in eps verson 8. Everytime I try to use the importer it crashes Modeler.

1.) Is Newtek still working on a fix for these issues that never worked in version 7.5? They did work in version 7.0.

2.) Does the EPSF loader work in version 8?

Thanks,

subvoyant
05-05-2004, 07:36 AM
My experience has been that one has to save as illustrator version 5 for eps loader to work under 7.5c. I haven't tried it yet under LW8.

Oddgit
05-05-2004, 07:26 PM
i dunno if i can pose in here for LW8 but it is still LW mac and i have a few bugs.
1: the app seems very slow and un responcive, it just seems very sluggish compaired to 7.5
2: i still get the f9 bug, just not as often
3: it randomly looses some of my plug-ins

OnePerson
05-05-2004, 08:58 PM
So, I tried the EPSF loader using 5.0/5.5 EPS Illustrator.

Wait a few seconds and whack! Modeler has unexpectedly quit.

Can't newtek fix this?

Does this work in 8?

Does anybody out there know?

Looking for answers.

C.

P.S. I've attached my settings from LW modeler 7.5c.

munky
05-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Hi there,

Can you export as generic or freehand epsf files? I use Freehand MX and they import fine as long as you ignore the "unable to read the file" error message.

regards

paul

mlinde
05-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by OnePerson
So, I tried the EPSF loader using 5.0/5.5 EPS Illustrator.

Wait a few seconds and whack! Modeler has unexpectedly quit.

Can't newtek fix this?

Does this work in 8?

Does anybody out there know?

Looking for answers.

C.

P.S. I've attached my settings from LW modeler 7.5c. Mess with the settings. I don't have the settings in front of me, but there was a setup that would consistently crash Modeler, what you have chosen may be it. Change the Polygons/Polylines or uncheck the Drill options, one of those is the correction...

bcgrafix
05-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Apparently, there may be a bug in the Scene Editor. When you save your workspace, the workspace file may get corrupted, and that will result in the program crashing when you save your scene. We narrowed it down to that. So, if for some reason the program crashes when you save, try using the default workspace or making a new one, and it should help the problem.

jasonwestmas
05-14-2004, 02:22 PM
This has probably been addressed since panther came out. I have Panther 10.3.3 and in LW 7.5c my move tool and dragnet tool make the points and polys jump around and sometimes jumps across the screen. Is this a video card problem again? I have a ATI Radeon 9000.

Thanks

jasonwestmas
05-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Never Mind, I found the right thread to this move problem.

riki
05-23-2004, 09:10 AM
I just had an odd freeze in Modeler, after trying to 'MakePolygon', I got this odd text message that I wasn't able to dismiss.

I've noticed that the 'MakePoly' command is a bit slower than normal. There's a noticable delay while waiting for the new poly to be created.

Triple G
05-23-2004, 12:59 PM
In LW8, did they replace the "old" Make Poly command with David Ikeda's Make Poly?

As great as I think Ikeda's PowerTools are (and I DO think they're fantastic), I've noticed that, at least in 7.5, they can sometimes cause Lightwave to become unstable and crash. Specifically, I do seem to remember a strange message popping up, which was very similar to yours Riki, after using one of his tools. I usually just use the "old" Make Poly, unless I need it to work in symmetry mode, in which case Ikeda's Make Poly comes in handy....I just make sure I save first. ;)

riki
05-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks Triple G, It's possible that I might've mapped the wrong 'MakePoly' command to the 'p' key. I'll go back and check.

Shon
06-10-2004, 04:31 PM
I can guarantee a Modeler crash by trying to open any OBJ file (even one saved from Modeler).

I have deleted preferences and even reinstalled. I don't have any third party plug-ins installed.

G4 450, 768 MB RAM, 10.3.4

riki
06-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I never use the OBJ file format. But I just tested it here with a simple box.obj created in Modeler and it crashed when I tried to load it back in.

Were you able to load OBJ files this way in the past? or do they need to be Imported?

toby
06-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Same here, trying to open an .obj exported from LW 8 or 7.5c causes crash everytime. 7.5c opens them both with no problem.

Shon
06-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by riki
Were you able to load OBJ files this way in the past? or do they need to be Imported?

I have been able to load OBJs with earlier versions of LW but LW8 crashes every time. The Import menu doesn't offer an option to import an OBJ file (at least on my machine).

Update:
In another thread, someone suggested replacing the plug-in "Conv3D.p" with the same plug-in from an earlier LW. I tried it with the 7.5c version (right off the CD) and now it's working.

Now I can work until a better fix is released.

riki
06-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Try reporting the bug to [email protected] and let them know it's been confirmed here by other Mac LW8 Users.

3dworks
06-12-2004, 07:43 PM
...i did try it immediatly with my fresh installed LW8 version, but unfortunately it does not seem to be changed to better!

the problem: loading the output PSD file as it is into photoshop does not show anything meaningful. you have to rearrange all layers and set the different blending modes manually!

i really hope this gets fixed in next release, as this is a major productivity brake!

mac LW8, powermac G4 2x1ghz, OSX 10.3.4

markus

MacDoggie
06-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Our post production guy is using Cumbustion on the pc. We have been doing sometesting with RPF files. When I send my RPF file format output all he gets is half resolutionfiles that are blank white. Any Mac users having issues or have noticed this as well? I find it hard to believe that no one on the Mac is doing something like this.....

MacDoggie
06-23-2004, 01:32 PM
(011) Hub functionality issues

Automatic Shutdown does not work.
Automatic Save does not work.

Doesn't always work on the pc as well. So it is not just a Mac issues its a hub issue. As you can probably guess I am not a fan of the hub.....

Although it is more difficult to track down, the Hub appears to lose sync at either a certain point/poly count or after a scene becomes a certain size, or after a certain number of modeler/layout switches.

One of the key issues I have with the hub is the abovementioned statement. The hub (when it does work) is a good idea. But once again this condition does exist on the widows platform as well. I have been told by some that I just need to "wait" till the hub catches up for me that is a showstopper.

Get/Put does not work consistently.

Yeah unfortunately this is also true.

But still Lightwave on the Mac is a great tool despite issues such as these

MacDoggie
06-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Chuck, here's a list of outstanding things I've noticed. It's far from complete, but all of these issues have been corroborated by other users. The format may be familiar, this was the format people were using before the 7.5 b/c patches came out:

001 (6.0+)
Scene file incompatibility between Mac/Win platforms.
Most plug-ins and features that utilize external files do not utilize the platform independent delimiter (/) and pathing relative to the content directory. This includes (but is not limited to) render output files (images and animations), particle files, image filters (Image Processing), and skytracer settings. It seems like whenever I test for this it is wrong. The only place it appears to work correctly is surfaces (via surface editor), images (via image editor) and objects. I submitted this as a bug 3-6 months ago (if not longer). The workaround is to manually edit the scene files to have the appropriate directory path delimiter and path.

Hmmmm...we go crossplatform. Our post production guy in on a windows box. I remember the issue with SkyTrace but I thought that had been resolved. If you want to get around this just "skyBake" your image and map it to a cube or sphere andthat shouldresolve your SkyTrace issue. Besides why would you want to render a skytracer sky over and over again? When you can map it and further reduce your rendering time. The only issue we have had with plugins is that we have to have a pc counterpart if we render on that platform.

002 (7.0+)
Spreadsheet creates multiple instances of itself in a scene file.
Every time you launch spreadsheet it creates an additional reference to itself in the scene file. When you go to render the scene, it freezes up on loading the scene to render. The workaround is to manually edit out spreadsheet references in the scene files.

Yup this is an oldie gut a goldie. I believe there is an Lscript available that does this for you.

003 (7.5c)
File(); command in LScript 2.6.1 does not work, causes application crash.
Any LScript that utilizes the File(); command to read or write files to disk will crash LightWave or Modeler. I submitted this as a bug on 5/21/03 with details on replication. No known workaround.

I'm not doubting you I just haven't seen this one....

004 (7.0+)
Screamernet recognizes cross-platform CPUs but cannot parse scene files.
Basically the controller cannot parse the directory path for both Mac and Windows. I submitted a detailed explanation of this 4-6 months ago, if not longer. Jon Baker's ScreamerNet Controller is the workaround.

We generally try to make a decision early onin the project who will be doing the rendering. If we use screamernet we use either windows or the Mac clients. We generally do not mix the two together so I can't comment on this one....

005 (7.0+)
Screamernet nodes randomly crash when loading scenes or frames (with built in controller). They also randomly crash when first polled for use. In addition, you cannot manually enter commands in the SN interface command line (it does not work), the menus don't work, and the file i/o buttons don't work. Of course, the buttons and command line may work but are not adequately documented. You can restart crashed nodes (if they crashed on scene load) and they will continue to render.

006 (7.5+)
JPEG.p causes crashes on machines with less than 16 MB VRAM.
This issue affects all Mac laptops produced before Summer 2002, and iBooks into December 2002. I reported this about 4 months ago. The workaround is to deinstall JPEG.p and allow QTTools.p to handle jpeg images.

I generally don't use jpgs so I can't say for sure, We use either .targa, .iff or .png file formats

007 (7.5c)
Modeler crashes upon launch.
This occurs on G3 based machines, or ATI graphics cards or some combination of the two. I cannot verify if it is all G3 machines or all ATI cards. I have tested two significantly different combinations. I have used the same installer that was successful on a G4 desktop. There is no workaround.

Works on our G4s I have an older G3 Laptop (Titanium) but I haven't seen this occur

riki
06-28-2004, 01:27 AM
I think we need to start a new sticky bug thread for Lightwave 8. Not that I think it's buggy, but just general house-keeping purposes.

riki
06-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Okay I've started one myself, hopefully the Mods will make it stick

re: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=191322#post191322

mindful
07-05-2004, 07:19 AM
I can confirm the fix for loading .OBJ files into Modeler. I had the same crash every time I tried and by simple removing Conv3D.p from LW8 and adding the Conv3D.p that was in my LW7.5c Plugins/Input-Output folder I was able to load an .OBJ file.
:)

OS X 10.3.4
Dual 1.42
512mb

ninjaman
07-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi!

This problem persists since earlier versions of LW for me (on version 8 now):

• When creating a new layer with geometry in it in Modeler, naming it and then setting the parent layer and saving it out - Layout refuses to load the new layer. No matter how many times I resave from Modeler, Layout still refuses to load the newly created layer. The new layer is there if I close and reload object in Modeler, but not in Layout. A bummer.

Could this be some sort of Mac problem - i.e that something isnīt updating the file on the harddisc?

On a G4/1 gig RAM/Panther 10.3.4

Ninjaman

Scazzino
07-30-2004, 03:41 PM
That's actually how it works. For the new layer to "show up" in Layout, you'd need to either add the entire object into Layout again, or you'd need to add that layer in Layout. It's a manual process, not automatic...

ninjaman
07-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Jeez...I find that being a flaw. Why canīt you add/deduct layers as you please? Itīs really strange that Lightwave, altough a very powerful program, is so full of quirks you constantly get hindered in your workflow. Iīm just a hobbyist. Imagine if youīre a pro.

I would love if LW could be as smooth to operate as for example the Adobe line of applications. But then again, you canīt make a cool armoured tank in Photoshop... :rolleyes:

Johan

Scazzino
07-30-2004, 08:37 PM
I agree, LW should have a robust layer system.

The current system apparently grew out of an early "scratch layer" functionality in Modeler. As such, it is quite limited and very "quirky"... ;-)

Perhaps it may be something that they could work on in the future, as it would most likely require fundamental changes to both Apps...

-MikeS

munky
07-31-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi there Mike and ninjaman,

I don't think your'e entirely correct there. With the hub enabled lightwave will add the new layer. What you need to do to help it along is to save the model in modeller and when you go back to layout click on one of the layers in the "item list" of the scene editor and tadaa! your new layer will showup! What it won't do is delete a modeller layer from layout (which is pretty sensible if you use the same model in a variety of scenes but with some layers removed that you don't need) If you do delete the layer in modeller then layout will keep the layer but pop a null in it instead and you'd have to manually delete that layer
I'd stick to parenting your layers in layout as maybe this is causing the problem.
I just tried this out and while a new layer loaded fine it didn't see the parenting.

I use a G4 with OS 10.2.6 so perhaps it's a problem with panther.

hope this is of some help

regards

paul

ninjaman
07-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Iīd love to use the Hub but itīs always been unusable because itīs so prone to crash, even on Panther. I just want somebody to tell me: "Itīs alright - all 3D programs are somewhat buggy". Iīd hate to have to switch because I really like LW. :)

Ninjaman

munky
07-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi Ninjaman,
I must be a lucky munky then as I use LW everyday and I don't have any ongoing problems with the hub. One thing that seems to make it work better for me is to us the F12 key and not the mouse click button to switch between modeller and layout.

On the other apps front. Nothing is perfect. Search the web forums to see how "buggy" stuff is and what sort of problems each app has. A lot depends on the system configuration you have. My 3.2 ghz pc kicks my mac round the park on render speed and openGL. But when I'm opening and closing and switching between lw,pshop/c3/freehand/flash/qt and a few others my pc goes off down the pub without me and my mac always hangs on in there, which is really just how I've got the pc setup as colleagues of mine have very little trouble with their setups and I guess my mac is setup in a way so that it's a happy bunny with the LWhub (which is purely by accident I might add as I'm a turn it on and go sort of person)

regards

paul

jmcinnis
09-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Installed 7.5d upgrade for OS 9. After launching Lightwave, the selection highlighted in the left hand menu is about an inch below the mouse cursor. Clicking on anything causes a crash in both Layout and Modeler.

I am using:
G4 733 MHz 512 MB RAM
GEForce 2 MX w/32 MB VRAM

Could this be a graphics card problem? I am hoping to upgrade to OSX and LW[8] soon here at work. Reverting back to 7.5c for now.

turbo
09-13-2004, 08:07 AM
I agree, LW should have a robust layer system.

The current system apparently grew out of an early "scratch layer" functionality in Modeler. As such, it is quite limited and very "quirky"... ;-)

Perhaps it may be something that they could work on in the future, as it would most likely require fundamental changes to both Apps...

-MikeS

Would you then say that its "quirky but worky"? ;)

Erizo
01-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Mess with the settings. I don't have the settings in front of me, but there was a setup that would consistently crash Modeler, what you have chosen may be it. Change the Polygons/Polylines or uncheck the Drill options, one of those is the correction...

If i select Auto AxisDrill, the mouse pointer changes to a Spinball.

I f i donīt select Auto Axis Dril, Modeler import de EPSF file correctly (but without the holes).

I am using Lightwave 7.5d and OSX 10.3.7