PDA

View Full Version : Importing Cad images

Stuart Harrison
01-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Iím trying to use Lightwave 8 to build a model of the cathedral at York. Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to import cad files from Vectorworks to use as a guide for the modeling. I can't get off base without this. Iíve exported EPSF files from Vectorworks and tried to import them but nothing happens. Does anybody know how to import 2d elevation and plan drawings into Lightwave from which true scale 3d models can be built?

brunopeixoto
01-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Cinema 4D can import Vector files and expor LW files.

noiseboy
01-12-2007, 06:44 AM
You should be able to import DXF version 12 files into LW. I have had success with importing eps file from Adobe Illustrator, but only if they are saved as version 8 or lower files. I've attached a simple example(zipped eps and dxf) of each which open ok in LW8.2.

Colin

Haven1000
01-12-2007, 07:26 AM
I import from Vectorworks to LW all the time.

If your importing 2d geometry you will have to convert everything to regular poly's then convert it to 3D poly's (making sure that you give all 2D poly's a fill pattern before you convert to 3D poly's)

Also convert all symbols to grouped objects an I'd probably ungroup all items in the drawing so they are not lost in the import to LW.

Export as DXF(text),I usually turn off "re-scale layers to" and check "Decompose 3D objects".

This normally works for me.

Stuart