PDA

View Full Version : Need 3D model of flying spaghetti monster

Tom Wood
01-11-2007, 11:05 AM
It's just for a very quick appearance so I don't have time to model it. Anyone know where I might find His Noodliness already modelled? (Already checked TurboSquid)

TW

KillMe
01-11-2007, 11:25 AM
his noodliness still doing the rounds eh? would be freaking awesome if 2000 years later it was a full blown religion lol

but nope sorry never seen a 3d noodly =)

Tom Wood
01-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Pastafarians (http://www.venganza.org/)

Hey, it beats Scientology. :D

Celshader
01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
It's just for a very quick appearance so I don't have time to model it. Anyone know where I might find His Noodliness already modelled? (Already checked TurboSquid)

For quick-n'-easy spaghetti mess, create a spline with 10 segments (select 10 points in a row and hit CTRL-P). Create 9 clones one way to create 10 splines lined up lengthwise next to each other. Create 9 clones in a perpendicular direction so that you have a cube-shaped bundle of 100 splines.

Now, use Jitter (SHIFT-J) to turn this orderly bundle of 100 splines into a complete tangle of splines. Run Jitter multiple times if needed -- you just need a complete mess of splines.

Shape this mess of splines into the general shape that you need with the Magnet and Shear tools. When you're happy with the overall shape of the tangled mess of splines, you can start converting them into spaghetti.

-+-

My preferred method of converting splines into ropes/spaghetti is to use a combination of the Curve2Plate (http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/plugins/C2P.HTML) and Puttygon (http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Puttygon/index.html) plugins. Use Curve2Plate to generate three-sided tubes, then use Puttygon to cap the ends of those tubes. Here's how to do it:

Place your mess of splines into a background layer, and go to an empty foreground layer. Run Curve2Plate TWICE -- once to generate a flat ribbon of geometry (with the "Flat") button toggled on, the second time to generate a v-shaped ribbon of geometry (with the "Flat" button toggled off). If the settings are identical except for the toggling of the "Flat" button, the points of each Curve2Plate result will line up perfectly. Hit "m" to merge the geometry together, then run "Align" to flip any inward-facing polygons outwards.

Now to cap the ends. If you left "Sharp" turned off in Curve2Plate, the ends of these tubes are open. Select all points and run the Puttygon plug-in to cap the ends. Hit the Tab key to convert the faces into smooth-looking subpatches. To sharpen the appearance of the capped ends, use the Polygon Statistics panel to select all three-sided polygons (only the capped ends qualify as three-sided polygons). Then hit Cut to remove these cap-polygons from the ends and then hit Paste to put them back where they were before. Because they are now detached from the tubes, they have a sharper appearance -- more like the end of a cylinder than a rounded end.

Tom Wood
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks Cel,

I really appreciate the time you took to explain that. But I was also hoping to find a model with a scene with a few bones in it too to flap around a noodle or two. I've never used bones so that's the part that would be a deep learning curve.

I may just use the magic bevel and shake the whole model at the camera.

Celshader
01-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks Cel,

I really appreciate the time you took to explain that. But I was also hoping to find a model with a scene with a few bones in it too to flap around a noodle or two. I've never used bones so that's the part that would be a deep learning curve.

I may just use the magic bevel and shake the whole model at the camera.

Also consider the Inertia plug-in. Create a weight-map that's 100% at the tips of the tentacles, falling off to 0% at the mass of the spaghetti. (The "Linear" falloff option for the Weights tool will do this quickly and beautifully).

In Layout, set the subD order to "Last." Apply the Inertia displacement plug-in to the spaghetti monster, and use the weight map you created to control where the drag-effect gets applied. What Inertia does is cause a lag on the points farthest from the pivot point. The farther a point is from the pivot point, the longer it will take to "catch up" to the rest of the model. Think of it as a poor man's ClothFX -- it doesn't do as much as ClothFX, but it's a lot easier to use and set up.

To see how Inertia works, create a flat ribbon of geometry in Modeler. Load it into Layout, keyframe it moving across 10 frames, and apply Inertia to it. The points farther from the origin will lag the most, causing a "drifting" effect.

-+-

An alternative to Inertia is to create a few endomorphs that wave the tentacles around, and then use Morph Mixer in Layout to animate a wave on the tentacles.

Tom Wood
01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Okay, that sounds very doable. I was trying to think of some sort of gravity effect that would grab at the tips, this does it the other way around.

Thanks!

Chris S. (Fez)
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
For real? Am I missing an obvious reference? Are you hard at work on the unauthorized Calvin & Hobbes movie or something?

Bog
01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
We'd tell you, Fez, but followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster have to respect that Not Proselytising is one of the top Eight Things He'd Rather We Didn't Do.

*hugs*

Be happy.

T-Light
01-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I ATE THE SPAGHETTI MONSTER!

Sorry folks, I was in this balloon floating high in the sky and there He was, qouting intelligencia and stuff, by a remarkable coincidence, he was joined by my appetite :foreheads

My advice, just render a half eaten meat ball with scraps in a wicker basket.

Terribly sorry Starbase :(

For words of wisdom in creating his spaghetti worldyness, follow Cellshader's advice, for She is indeed the new Prophet of Pasta.

starbase1
01-12-2007, 03:07 AM
I was thinking for attempting this, (for obbvious reasons given my avatar), but was unsure where to start with the spaghetti - in particular wth avoiding strands passing through each other...

Tom, would you consider sharing your model, or a joint project?

Bog
01-12-2007, 03:09 AM
Nick, if you're particularly particular about the pasta interpenetrating, then a lengthy period snuggled up with Rope Editor Plus would seem to be indicated.

Tom Wood
01-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Hey Starbase,

At present I have a 2D piece of artwork as a stand-in and it works okay. It's only onscreen for about a second and there's a lot of other work that is taking priority. So any model I build just can't have much time invested in it. So I doubt you'd like it. (And I wouldn't want to risk the wrath of His Noodliness by disseminating a low quality graven image.) I was just hoping there was something already out there.

mattclary
01-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Pastafarians (http://www.venganza.org/)

Hey, it beats Scientology. :D

And it's more believable.

Tom Wood
01-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Starbase -

If you do model Him, put It up on Turbosquid and I'll buy. I'd bet this one would be a pretty good seller. Not sure of copyright though.

iconoclasty
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
You can't copyright God.

cresshead
01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
igod?
one to one chat...
touch prayer interface...
star maps...

mattclary
01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
igod?
one to one chat...
touch prayer interface...
star maps...

If the universe is viewed as an information storage device, what do you suppose that would spec out too? :question:

starbase1
01-12-2007, 12:08 PM
You can't copyright God.

Well scientologists tried to!

Chris S. (Fez)
01-12-2007, 02:51 PM
We'd tell you, Fez, but followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster have to respect that Not Proselytising is one of the top Eight Things He'd Rather We Didn't Do.

*hugs*

Be happy.

Dude, you are insane...appealingly so perhaps, but insane nonethleless. :)

Bog
01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Dude, you are insane...appealingly so perhaps, but insane nonethleless. :)

I'm saving my sanity for when I really need it :D Thanks for making me grin!

*edit*

Link to the Eight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gospel_of_the_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#The_Eig ht_.22I.27d_Really_Rather_You_Didn.27ts.22)

Bill Carey
03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
This is probably an idiot question, but I've never done anything like this. What would be the best way to turn these hundred splines into spaghetti?

Celshader
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
This is probably an idiot question, but I've never done anything like this. What would be the best way to turn these hundred splines into spaghetti?

If you're using a PC, consider the technique listed in post #4 of this thread.

Bill Carey
03-01-2007, 03:53 PM
If you're using a PC, consider the technique listed in post #4 of this thread.

Thanks, and I will, but I'm also curious what the best way would be with LW's standard tools. I just got wacked by Jetto Bevel not working in 9, so free 3rd party plugins are suspect at the moment. (It did get me to buy Vertibevel finally, which is lot's of fun!)

Bill

Dirk
03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Hairblades can do it, too

Beaker
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
If the universe is viewed as an information storage device, what do you suppose that would spec out too? :question:

Well, Earth alone would probably be a TERRAbyte. :neener:

mattclary
03-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, Earth alone would probably be a TERRAbyte. :neener:

:thumbsup:

Bill Carey
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Hairblades can do it, too

Thanks, I'll look at that also. Sounds like the 'standard' method is rail extruding each curve, nasty. I was hoping for a 'Make Perfect Spaghetti" button, right next to the "Make Perfect UV and Texture" button.

Dirk
03-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Couldn't resist.

This is done with the Hairblades plugin.

First, I created a spine, somewhat like a spiral. Copied the spine several times, and any spine was rotated + moved somewhat on every axis.
When I had a bunch of them (about 10 or so), I selected all and copied them again several times, forming sort of a ball. Copied the ball, moved it on x axis to create a shape that somehow consists of 2 spagetti-balls. Applied Hairblades (used a 4 point square as blade-shape), freezed them, turned subpatches on and used the polygon-statistics panel to seperate the hairblades from the subpatches.
Key is to get the overall shape right with the splines before applying hairbaldes or move points around with the magnet tool. Magnet tool and Jitter was only used slightly. Used Magnet tool to move the splines back into the body where the meatballs sit. Added some more splines around the meatballs and hanging down from the body.

However, I think the body should have a more "combed" look, somewhat more like a ball of wool. Maybe I try that later.

Dirk
03-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Another try. Added two spagetti balls, and made the first body slightly smaller.

starbase1
03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Awesome! Any chance you can be persuaded to share the model???

Nick
(A true pastafarian!)

Bog
03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Hold on. The true FSM is one piece of Spaghetti, wound around and around! His Noodly Appendages are the Alpha and Omega of the Strand!

THIS IS NOT THE TRUE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER! SCHISM! SCHISM!

;)

Dirk
03-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Another version. I think its hard to get the real noodle-look.

Also, I attached a small tutorial how to get there with hairblades.

Bill Carey
03-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Another version. I think its hard to get the real noodle-look.

Also, I attached a small tutorial how to get there with hairblades.

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

cyphyr
03-03-2007, 10:51 AM
cool, needs sauce though
cyphyr

Tom Wood
03-03-2007, 11:08 AM
cool, needs sauce though
cyphyr

NO! No sauce! Another schism! Butter and pepper only! Die infidels! :D

Tom Wood
03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
But it's still funny, and looks like CGI!

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/last-supper.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2007/03/04/fsm-last-supper/

Tom Wood
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
His Noodliness abides:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66219

MooseDog
03-31-2007, 10:29 PM
His Noodliness abides:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66219

as does the dude:agree:

Dirk
04-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Here's another one, with even more noodles ;D

starbase1
04-02-2007, 08:16 AM
I think his noodliness has bigger balls than that... Maybe some SSS on the noodles?