PDA

View Full Version : md plug and soft bodies?

JGary
01-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I think I already know the answer to this one, but here goes;

Is there anyway to attach a mesh to an area of a character that is being deformed by a mdd, and then have that attached mesh have soft body dynamics that react to the characters mdd motion and also collides with the character?

Hopefully that makes sense.
Thanks for any help

JGary
01-11-2007, 08:58 AM
To be more specific about what I'm trying to do, here's a couple of images from some test renders.

I'm trying to make a couple of bloody membranes that this monster will break out of as he rises up into the shot. See the quick scribble I made to see how I was thinking the membranes would be attached. I'm animating this guy in Maya and using Maya2Lightwave to transfer the anim in via mdd. I could do the membrane in Maya and bring it over as well, but was wondering if maybe I could do this in Lightwave.

faulknermano
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
maybe you can rough out the membrane animation in Maya using deformers and then back in LW you can set FIXed points at certain parts while the rest of the points in the membrane get deformed by softbodies. of course, the membrane is a separate mesh that collides with the monster.

of course, i do not know how you're going to get the membrane to act like jello, like how it tears and stuff. :)

JGary
01-11-2007, 10:59 PM
of course, i do not know how you're going to get the membrane to act like jello, like how it tears and stuff. :)
Yeah, that's a good one!

I did find a dynamics plugin called Nima for Maya that I THOUGHT was going to solve all my problems. Fast, free (in beta), easy to use, does cloth tearing. I ran a test where I stretched a plane and it ripped in two at a certain point (see image).

However, to accomplish the tearing the plugin is creating more vertices which completely hoses the transfer back to LW since it's dependent on point order (see other image).

Just to be sure I'm not missing something (because many times I do), it is NOT possible to get an anim like this back into LW right?

faulknermano
01-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Just to be sure I'm not missing something (because many times I do), it is NOT possible to get an anim like this back into LW right?

actually it is quite possible through other means. you can take an animation snapshot of the object (e.g. Animate > Create Animation Snapshot) and use a mel to save out the resulting meshes into separate OBJs. then use ObjectSequence in LW to replace the object sequence during the passage of time. however, one limitation exists with this procedure: you will not have a motion blur of the membrane, because it is replaced, not deformed. if there was an option in NIMA to store vector information in points that may be resolved programmatically, by outputting per-frame/object information into a separate file and using that, later on, in modeler and applied as a morph map. but it is a VERY involved and lengthy process. :)

faulknermano
01-11-2007, 11:11 PM
otoh, LW can do something like what you attached.. i know that cloth in LW can be torn as demoed when clothfx cam out, but you'd have to work it out on how much more, or less involved it would be compared to NIMA.

JGary
01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
otoh, LW can do something like what you attached.. i know that cloth in LW can be torn as demoed when clothfx cam out, but you'd have to work it out on how much more, or less involved it would be compared to NIMA.

Yeah, I'm digging through the docs right now and getting ready to try out some of LW's dynamics.

Thanks!

JGary
01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
To follow up my own thread -

Much to my surprise LW's cloth dynamics are working well for me and I'm going to use them instead of NIMA in Maya. The only real problem I have had so far is not being able to use the sewing tool on subpatch cloth geometry. The sewing tool initial works on subpatch geometry until I save and then try to re-open the file. The file will no longer open and crashes LW.

Even though I'm using LW dynamics for this shot, I'm still going to use NIMA for a couple of fx in different shots (but with no tearing).

Here's a test render with one piece of the membrane using LW's cloth dynamics -

I'll post a update when I get all the membrane parts done and have the surfacing finished.