PDA

View Full Version : Eon - Cgtalk Comp

bearfoot
01-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Hey everyone

i havent been posting much lately so i thought i would show my entry for the eon challenge on cgtalk.com

basically the process involved creating the geomtry and then rendering a Hi res 3000 pixel image, then matte painting the details and windows and the projecting the image back onto the geomtry using fixed projection with some camera movement. This means basically having to texture all the buildings and
everything.

I then added a volumetric pass and ships flying pass in After effects with some colour correction.

The ships were stock models from Lwg3d.com.

there are 1 or 2 errors i know but the deadline is this week so i wanted to get it finished after 3 months work.

Here is a still

http://www.bearfootfilms.com/eon/eon.jpg

Here is the anim - 14 meg Quicktime

http://www.bearfootfilms.com/eon/eon.mov

Iain
01-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Excellent. I love the specular highlight on the roofs.

Not sure about the volumetric in the anim but they're always difficult to get right.

3dworks
01-11-2007, 03:25 AM
very spectacular animation and still! the volumetric effect seems to me a bit over the top, because the air doesn't seem to be that 'thick' after all.

was the sky CG generated or painted? it looks very good!

markus

3dworks
01-11-2007, 03:36 AM
after watching this more carefully, i found that the cables sustaining those 'candelaber' buildings hanging between the towers are not convincing my 'architects/ engineers eye'... i'm probably nitpicking here, but these cables would better show what they are supporting, straightened out by the heavy weights. artistically speaking, of course they are quite elegant!

markus

McFilms
01-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Bravo! Well done!

pixeltek
01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Very nice work. The cables give me the willies, however. A city with flying craft all around, towers, unless they are in the loop of some central air traffic control system, are problems enough, but cables? A pilot's nightmare. That said, the short cam fly-though was very cool.

Speedmonk42
01-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Just a thought, I really do like it.

Does the smoke/steam on the closer buildings move too 'fast'?

It messes with the scale a bit perhaps?

Starlost
01-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Nice work. and l agree with SpeedMonk42 the steam/smoke is rising kinda fast. I would knock it back about 50%. Also the 3 craft that do the fly thru seem to be just too hmm for lack of a good term picture 3 pennies glued to a 33rpm record spinning at 45rpm. There should be some slight deviations in their path for each of them. It would add to the realism by making the viewer feel that there is someone actually piloting them.

bobakabob
01-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Fantastic... very original design. I like the overhead cables. How did you do the sky?

Andyjaggy
01-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Very cool. I'm a big fan of your stuff.

<HD>
02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Well if that planet is anything like ours they'd all have their washing hung out o dry :) . Great visualization, love the anim', especially the fast spaceships and the god rays through those floating box ships. I like the surface buildings and texturing. The wires do grab all your attention, I'm not sure if they are supposed to as part of the competition and appear 'uncomfortable' given their obvious weight....perhaps thinner ones would proportion it all out. The tall towers become a little swamped by their scale...only nitpicking though...love any bladerunner esq stuff....cool:thumbsup: