PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for the Races

Anti-Distinctly
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
The idea was folk would gather outside of town at night on some country lane for drag races (American Graffiti style) and that as the sun was setting this guy was fettling and working on the last few things before setting off.

This is my first image I've ever posted in a gallery. Modelling was done by my partner in crime (eurisko at cgtalk) and I did everything else. I know it's far from perfect but some contructive criticism would be great.

KScott
01-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Really nice image, only thing i see out of place is that the top water line off the heads, the 90's that you have chrome , should be hoses. Ive never build a flat head with all chrome hoses. but hey its your car, Great work!

Kevin:lightwave

Anti-Distinctly
01-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks Kevin. I was never too sure about the surfacing of all the parts of the engine, so maybe I did a bit too much chrome, but hey :)

Snave
01-11-2007, 03:39 AM
Nice rendering and modeling...one question.. is the car driving cab is that height ? I dont knw maybe it's the car model or else I try to figure out how the man wud sit in n drive..

Keep it up
Snave

Anti-Distinctly
01-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Thanks neverko, I'll take that as a compliment :D
Snave: It did look perculiar to me at first, but the dimensions are correct. It is an old style cab and they are quite snug and low down, but I assure you he can fit inside :)

Larry_g1s
01-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Very very nicely done. I very much like the lighting, and the attention to detail.

steamthunk
01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Yes, I really like the atmosphere in this picture.

Eurisko
01-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi all,

I did the modelling and can answer a couple of the queries.

The chrome pipes were inspired by Jimmy Shine's 34 truck, you can see them in this pic: http://www.n00dles.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chromewaterpipes.jpg

The roof is so low because it's "chopped". Somewhere around 4 inches taken out of the height of the roof. It sits lower still because it's been "channelled" about a further 6 inches.

Thanks for the kinds words.

Tony

serge
01-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Great scene and render. I love the style, the evening atmosphere and the eye for detail.

Three things though:
First, the leaves on the ground look too thick. Second, the shape of clouds don't seem to fit the scene, don't exactly know how to explain what looks wrong. (Did you use skytracer?) Third, the pants of the guy look to rubbery.

Anti-Distinctly
01-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks you for the comments serge, its appriciated :)
The leaves are just single polys I think, not too sure there. But you may be right. Perhaps the very dark shadows are making the area around the leave look very 'dense' somehow.
The backdrop is just a picture. It's exceptionally difficult to get a picture of a sunset sky, where the setting sun is behind you. This is just about the best I could find. I tried using skytracer, but it just looked rubbish and not volumetric enough (you know how skytracer just looks like a stretched fractal procedural most of the time? - I just wanted something with more volume.
As for the pants, that's up to Eurisko :D Cloth modelling is a *****.

Thank you for the crits.

bobakabob
01-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Nice work. I agree with Serge's comments on the atmosphere and attention to detail. The textures are really impressive. IMO the only things that don't look quite right are the car chassis - the windscreen edges maybe need refining - and the mechanic doesn't look as realistic as the setting.