PDA

View Full Version : Problems running lwsn with RFC

Artistrendering
01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
First of all lwsn.exe does not open... it simply flashes the window open then closed. Writing the batch file is becoming a major problem and I'm at the end of my wits.

Has anyone successfully created a screamernet renderfarm with PC and Mac Nodes involved. I am wasting too much time on this. Need help and direction.

avkills
01-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Well for one, Macs can't run LWSN.exe and the Mac version of LW has no such file.

I think mixing and matching OS/CPU nodes you will need to have the content directories on each node along with the plugins and the proper executable file for each OS.

-mark

Artistrendering
01-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I should be more specific...

I'm running LW9. I work on the Mac. We have several PC's with some massive CPU power I'd like to harness. I have LW9 installed on the PC's. In order to set up SN for the PC's to act as nodes so that I can access them as nodes, I was told by Bruce (the creator of RenderFarm Commander-which I'm using) that not being able to launch screamernet on the PC would my first problem. I have four PC's that won't launch SN at all...even after reinstalling one of them...can someone confirm that this is a problem, and perhaps confirm that a Mac can controll PC nodes once this is established. Someone must have done this before-or atleast tried.

I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this problem if I'm still unclear..

avkills
01-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I think you will need to at the very least, turn on Windows networking on the Mac side and enable your user.

And what do you mean that they won't launch screamernet? Does the window even open?

I believe it is a networking issue and a config issue.

-mark

Artistrendering
01-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I double click SN and the console window just flashes open then closed really quick on the PC. I don't know why- or if it should do that- but it happens on all four PC machines. My network is set up fine, that's definitely not the issue. I'm using Sharepoint to map the Mac drive to the PC and the PC Cdrive mounts fine to my desktop on the Mac.

Scazzino
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you didn't specify to the PC LWSN nodes what to do, so they launch and then quit.

You'll need to tell them to run in mode "-2" (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/batch_rendering.html#batchSyntax), where to find their configs, where to find the shared content etc...

I know RFC can set up the nodes automagically for the Mac, I'm not sure if it does the same for the PC nodes...

When in doubt, set them up manually using the info in the manual. There's info about how to do this on the Mac in my DreamLight Insight Mastering LWSN for Mac OS X (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html) (which was also included in the LightWave 9 manual). The concepts are the same on the PC, but the implementation may be different (using shortcuts on the PC rather than cmdLine files, etc.)...

Ozzie
01-24-2007, 09:16 AM
LWSN won't launch on my PC either. If I launch LWSN it flashes up and dissapears, even if the PC is not connected to any other computers. I'm at my wits end. I was looking at this 6 months ago and gave up.

RFC on my Mac works sweet, it's briliant but I just can't get it to use the PCs as render nodes. I'll keep trying and post when I get a solution.

CHEERS.

Mark

Scazzino
01-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Sounds like the same problem to me...

It sounds like you didn't specify to the PC LWSN nodes what to do, so they launch and then quit.

You'll need to tell them to run in mode "-2" (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/batch_rendering.html#batchSyntax), where to find their configs, where to find the shared content etc...

I know RFC can set up the nodes automagically for the Mac, I'm not sure if it does the same for the PC nodes...

When in doubt, set them up manually using the info in the manual. There's info about how to do this on the Mac in my DreamLight Insight Mastering LWSN for Mac OS X (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html) (which was also included in the LightWave 9 manual). The concepts are the same on the PC, but the implementation may be different (using shortcuts on the PC rather than cmdLine files, etc.)...

Hope it helps! :goodluck:

Artistrendering
01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Glad to hear someone else is working on a solution, I'll post one as well if I find anything ( been working on this for months here and there). As far as the LWSN openning and closing, I'm back to having that work again. I was fed some bad information (or I misinterpreted) and was told that the LWSN.exe should open with the batch file I was using. So far I have found many different ways to write the code for the PC batch files and have tried hundreds of variations of each, some that almost work and I don't know why. I can write them with my eyes closed now!

My problems still exists when I start a job file and the PC LWSN.exe launches and runs without errors. however it renders super fast and doesn't save the files (It doesn't seem to be rendering though it says it is). My Scene file is being told to save within the content dir. and I remapped the PC nodes.

Mac nodes work like a dream with 6 strong and they are simple to set up. But I'm still waisting the PC processor power when I need animations rendered.

I'd be happy to help you get to the point i'm at -but It gets more frustrating the more you know and still nothing to show.

also I did at one point have the PC nodes rendering blank white frames, but I can't seem to do that anymore-not that it was helping.

I'm thinking my problem might be in the networking setup, but really I don't know after exhausting every possibility. So many variables...

And yes my computer is pluged in and every other obvious questions has been answered...

ERGH!

Artistrendering
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Scazzino,

Have you been successful with this yourself? You seem to be going over some pretty obvious troubleshooting as though this should be a walk in the park. If you don't mind, can you discribe your configuration?

Are you using Sharepoints on the mac? Are you running off a server? What Platforms are you running? What version of LW? What version of RFC? Would you be willing to post your script for the batch file on you PC? Is you content and work dir the same or different?

Thanks,
Ryan

Scazzino
01-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi Artistrendering,

The first thing I'd try is to make sure you can render on the PC by itself using LWSN and the built-in controller in LW running on the PC.

That will tell you if your PC LWSN is set up correctly and accessing the PC's config files and plugins correctly. Once that's working, then you can try to tie it into your Mac render farm running RFC by pointing LWSN to the shared content folder on the PC and using RFC to remap all the paths in the scene files.

RFC is just a replacement for the built-in screamernet controller, so I find troubleshooting issues like this easier to start with the built-in controller, one platform at a time. This should help you find out what's wrong.

My PC's out of commission at the moment and I'm currently just running the Macs, so I can't test anything on the PC, but those are the steps I'd use to troubleshoot it myself.

It's certainly not a walk in the park, but breaking it down one step at a time might be able to help you isolate the problem...

:goodluck:

Scazzino
01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Scazzino,

Have you been successful with this yourself? You seem to be going over some pretty obvious troubleshooting as though this should be a walk in the park. If you don't mind, can you discribe your configuration?

Are you using Sharepoints on the mac? Are you running off a server? What Platforms are you running? What version of LW? What version of RFC? Would you be willing to post your script for the batch file on you PC? Is you content and work dir the same or different?

Thanks,
Ryan

I'm not currently using a PC in the render farm, my test PC's out of commission at the moment... ;)

I am using sharepoints on the Mac.

I'm using Mac OS X Tiger (not server) from my main Mac.

I'm currently using ScreamerNet controller for Mac OS X, but I have used RFC on the Mac and tested having it control a PC before.

I'm using LW9.0

I don't have access to the shortcut file I used to launch LWSN on the PC, the PC's dead at the moment...

Not sure what you mean by content and "work" dir... I use a single content dir on my main machine and share that with sharepoints for all the others to access the same.

I also install separate programs, configs and plugins on all nodes as described in my online tutorial about advanced network rendering with third-party controllers.

Hope it helps!
:thumbsup: