PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone

kilvano
01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
**** that Steve Jobs....he's a frickin genius!

I dont think we will see it in the UK anytime soon but it looks AMAZING!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Matt
01-09-2007, 03:38 PM
The interface is genius, just works perfectly, will be very expensive, but it's essentially a PDA, iPod and phone, so calling it an iPhone is misleading as it does so much more.

I think I'll be taking a serious look at this when it hits our shores. The only problem with it being (for the UK at least) is that download speeds will be total crap, or ludicrously expensive on our networks, which will cripple many of it's features.

Bytehawk
01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
unless you are at the office or at home when you can tap into the wireless network...

I want one

lilrayray77
01-10-2007, 04:35 AM
it does look quite yummy. But the cost for the actual service (data, and other goodies) is probably going to be quite high. The question that comes to mind now is, do I really need one ( I have a Palm with movies and music, and I also have a cell.)?

BazC
01-10-2007, 05:01 AM
**** that Steve Jobs....he's a frickin genius!

I dont think we will see it in the UK anytime soon but it looks AMAZING!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Certainly is beautifully designed but way too expensive for my needs! BTW I think they said the European release would be 4th quarter of 2007.

Phil
01-10-2007, 05:07 AM
What is more surprising is that it runs OSX. I didn't expect that. It's not clear from the web site as to whether this is a portable, embedded variant. If so, that could really be a new market for Apple to chase and corner.

Having had a number of embedded Windows devices in the past, I found them all to be unreliable and, for phones, the updates used to blow away all your data (such that you would need to back up to a PC first...no Mac support, naturally).

Embedded OSX devices, for less money than the iPhone, would be very interesting indeed.

BeeVee
01-10-2007, 05:14 AM
All I could think of when Steve was showing Google Maps was "where's the GPS?" :D Other than that, very nice. oh, and I'd like the camera to swivel too, especially where it's placed.

B

Kuzey
01-10-2007, 05:33 AM
That is out of this world!!!!

I'm not sure about the contract side of things but it's top two of my must have list...after intel macbook or pro...so I can finally use LW 9 :D

Funny thing, there's another bigger tech trade show at the same time but Apple has taken the spot light and everyone is going nuts!

I'll like to see what bill gates has to say about the iPone :beerchug:

Kuzey

kilvano
01-10-2007, 06:05 AM
I reckon that Bill Gates must be mighty pissed off.

He comes to CES with the AMAZING (or not) home server and then Steve Jobs blows he and everyone else at CES out of the water.

What i wanna know is how they managed to keep it a secret for over 2 years. Yeah rumours got out but it never got further than rumours.

Amazing

Matt
01-10-2007, 06:12 AM
As far as I'm concerned Apple have the most innovative people on the planet right now, from designers, engineers to programmers, human factors people and marketing, they really see THE WHOLE STORY with their products and software, how they integrate, how to make them work in a way that just makes sense.

Other companies would do well to look at EVERY aspect of how Apple does business and creates it's products, actually, a certain modelling application that shall remain nameless, in my opinion takes A LOT of cues from Apple's philosophy, it's evident in their marketing and their product.

;)

Kuzey
01-10-2007, 06:29 AM
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the name as there is another iPhone on the market. Maybe another court cast or more likey the other one will disappear because...well it's not Apple made :thumbsup:

Kuzey

kilvano
01-10-2007, 06:31 AM
i dont think Cisco or whoever have the other iphone care. Apple will pay for the name so they can change their produc to something else and still rake in a tonne of money.

Apple HAD to call it the iPhone. There was no other name and im sure they would pay mega bucks in order to use it.

Thomas
01-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I read somewhere that this is already settled. Both companies are keeping their names. A bit strange but if they're happy...

Regards
Thomas

toby
01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the name as there is another iPhone on the market. Maybe another court cast or more likey the other one will disappear because...well it's not Apple made :thumbsup:

Kuzey
Doh!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6250511.stm
I wonder what Apple was thinking?? Why not just call it iTalk or something?
Or just bin it and release an 8-core?

starbase1
01-11-2007, 03:16 AM
The interface is genius, just works perfectly, will be very expensive, but it's essentially a PDA, iPod and phone, so calling it an iPhone is misleading as it does so much more.

Calling it an iPhone is dumb, because they don't have the rights to the name, and are being sued by the people who do...

starbase1
01-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Apple are truly exceptional at interface design in software and hardware, but I really don't want one, for several reasons.

1. I will not touch their DRM, it's completely unacceptable to me.

2. I see no benefit in combining a phone and MP3 player - it seems to cost more than two devices purchased separately.

3. 4 Gb is too little storage, particularly for such an expensive device - I view 20 Gb as minimum to carry a good selection with me.

I would be interested in an Apple phone though - I think they could make a very good one.

I would also suggest that the longer term future for this type of device is extremely limited - when the phone companies start charging a reasonable rate for data bandwidth, I want something like an audio slingbox, that will give me remote access to my music collection at home.

Nick

Kuzey
01-11-2007, 07:57 AM
There you go :)

It seems Apple owns the trademark for the iPhone name in Australia and UK...it's going to be interesting if it ever makes it to the courts.

I would counter sue...but that's just me.

:hey:

Kuzey

mattclary
01-11-2007, 08:20 AM
My wife just got a pocket PC. Full qwerty keyboard and everything. I don't think it is an mp3 player, but she already has a Sandisk the size of a USB drive. Other than the fact that it looks cool, the iPhone doesn't excite me at all.

On the other hand, I think Apple may have hit on the future with th AppleTV. I would be seriously tempted to pay for my (commercial free!!!) programs a la carte vs. paying for cable. I did the math and it seems it would be cheaper to buy episodes. I really think this may be the wave of the future.

mattclary
01-11-2007, 08:24 AM
3. 4 Gb is too little storage, particularly for such an expensive device - I view 20 Gb as minimum to carry a good selection with me.

I assume you speak of the Apple TV rather than the iPhone... The AppleTV is supposed to be for streaming, I think the hard drive is more of a cache, so a big drive wouldn't gain you much.

I think in the future, this device (be it Apple, or anyone elses) will be a direct connect device that will retrieve the media itself vs. streaming from a PC.

starbase1
01-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I assume you speak of the Apple TV rather than the iPhone...

Actually no, I'm refering to using it as an MP3 player.I want to be able to pile up pretty much everything I might want to listen to. I think I need about 80 Gb and I'd be happy.

But like I said, before to long I'm expecting to just stream over the net to my player.

Nick

Thomas
01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I read somewhere that this is already settled. Both companies are keeping their names. A bit strange but if they're happy...

Doh! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6250511.stm
I wonder what Apple was thinking?? Why not just call it iTalk or something?
Bummer. I read something like that on wired just minutes after I posted the other one.

Regards
Thomas

Safe Harbor
01-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I have a Blackjack, which plays mp3's and movies, has a camera, bluetooth, runs Windows, has internet and email, full qwerty keyboard, a scroll wheel... not quite sure what the differences are. I'll have to read up on the iPhone. But it does look interesting!!

Edited to add...

OK, just watched their demo. The touchscreen and interface are VERY intuititave. Does look revolutionary!

ScottSullivan
01-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, Steve in his keynote even compared it to the Blackjack, Blackberry, Palm Treo and another one or two to show the differences with the softkeys v. actual keys.

One benefit was how the UI could change depending on the mode (phone, email, et al).

I find this funny because my Sony Clie had this about 6 or 7 YEARS ago. Plus, my newer Palm T3 had the same thing.

However, the "multi-touch" concept is brilliant, mixed with the sensors to deactivate the screen when held to your ear in phone mode.

Nick, you don't have to use their DRM. You can always play non-DRM content (ie. CD's purchased from stores) just like you can in iTunes.

And I see a huge benefit in combining a phone/mp3 player. I hate carrying more electronic devices. The less the better for me. Currently, I carry my Palm T3, Razr and iPod Nano. If I could condense that down, I would. And, while my Palm is an mp3 player, it just isn't as nice in the automatic updates and UI with playlists/podcasts/etc as iTunes/iPod.

As ar as size, Apple's offering a 4 and 8 Gig model. But, I agree, I'd prefer more space. Maybe around Christmas, the 32 Gig model will be released? Who knows.

I'm just thrilled to be living in such an inovative time. So many companies offering so many choices drives the market and the end users (us) win in the end.

Scott

Signal to Noise
01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't get too excited over the iPhone. Currently it's limited to a single carrier (Cingular), has a non-removeable battery, it's SIM locked, does not support 2100MHz WCDMA/UTMS bands, etc.

It's funny how people go "ga-ga" over an Apple release. If Apple were to release a rectum thermometer called the iAss people would still go crazy. "Wow, this thing takes the temperature of my butt AND plays music at the same time! Cool!"

And when it all comes down to it, will the iPhone run LightWave? Not. ;)

kopperdrake
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
As my old Sony UX50 died on me (best PDA I ever had in terms of build-quality), I've just gone for one of those sim-free HTC TyTN thingies - pretty much all in one, mobile phone, mp3 player, 2Mp camera, video record/playback, pda, G3 (if I ever need it), changeable battery etc. Sure the downside currently is the removeable media - 4Gb is the maximum microSD card you can get, but apart from the interface and product design I'm not sure what you're getting different with the apple. I wouldn't say it was revolutionary, just seems to be very well thought out from an interface PoV, which you would expect from an Apple product (I really don't like the windows mobile interface - way too much like windows but miniature - palm do it so much better, but it *does* synch perfectly with Outlook etc). So from this corner, yay a nice looking product, but not gaga over it.

cholo
01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah, the challenge with CDMA is making the battery last long enough. I'm not an expert by any means, but when I switched from a CDMA carrier to a GSM carrier, my standby time went from a day or two to a full week :) I understand perfectly why all the better phones out there are GSM phones.

Bog
01-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Hold on. It's only 4Gb?

Oh.

*stuffs 4Gb SD wafer into his SPV*

Never mind.

starbase1
01-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Hold on. It's only 4Gb?

Oh.

*stuffs 4Gb SD wafer into his SPV*

Never mind.

Wow! You have a Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle?! There's a toy I could use!

Bog
01-12-2007, 02:56 AM
Wow! You have a Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle?! There's a toy I could use!

Should'a seen me at the go-karting at Siggraph, baby. Vroom, vroom!

starbase1
01-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Nick, you don't have to use their DRM. You can always play non-DRM content (ie. CD's purchased from stores) just like you can in iTunes.
Scott

Hi Scott,
I am aware that it will play non DRM'ed files - but as far as I know it WILL need DRM software installed on my computer to manage it. And given the track record of this stuff, no way am I touching it with a barge pole.

I was wary before, but the two incidents that really tipped it over the edge for me were the Sony Rootkit Scandal, (I'm still avoiding Sony products after that mess), and the way that Windows Media Player has the habit of upgrades that make things worse, such as making it play LESS stuff, and more alarmingingly, deleting video files it thinks you should not have.

The aspect of moving the goal posts after it is installed is particularly offensive to me.

So I am very happy with my entire music collection ripped to a big USB hard drive as high quality MP3's, and my Archos 20Gb simple player.

Here's info on the rootkit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal

avkills
01-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Nick,

You can use iTunes and never even touch any DRM if you want. The DRM is only evident in the media that you purchase from the iTunes Store, so if you do not buy anything, there is no DRM.

-mark

Bog
01-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Bit daft to splurge all that money for something with four or eight gig of nonremovable storage when an M600 like mine (a Windows smartphone) does just about everything the iPhone (name under litigation) does, as well as running Skype anyplace you can find Wireless. Plus all the Lite office apps. And being free with a 35 a month phone contract.

If it had been an honest-to-gh0d hard-disk based iPod type device, I'd be tempted. As it is, I shall sit over here and sneer. Shan't pass a comment about turtlenecks, though... ;)

01-12-2007, 08:24 AM
8 gig is pretty good for a first gen phone - though I'll probably wait till they double that amount next year before I bite - then it will make a good replacement for my separate Ipod and phone combo (I'm not a big fan of tiny removeable storage cards at all, or a tiny stylus either). The current gen phones including that M600 look like crap next to the new apple toy - that UI simply blows everything else away, no contest. As far as legal issues... big deal. They could end up calling it iSuck for all I care. Wouldn't stop me from buying after seeing it in action. There's a reason I've stayed away from pdas and overloaded phones all this time... they just look painful to use.

cresshead
01-12-2007, 10:03 AM
yup the u.i is the killer part of the iphone [itel, imobi, iconnect,italk....] the dea of buttons you need NOW rather than all the buttons is the way forward...i'd expect to see nokia etc bring out a phone in the summer that has a touch screen u.i and about time too!

also looks like the death of ring tone sales biz n due course if this thing takes off.

mattclary
01-12-2007, 11:03 AM
The touchscreen and interface are VERY intuititave. Does look revolutionary!

I would say "evolutionary" not "revolutionary".

cresshead
01-12-2007, 11:06 AM
no more than the nintendo ds browser really..and that costs 29....

Nicolas Jordan
01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
This design and UI should work well for most people. I used to work in customer service for AT&T Wireless and then for Cingular once AT&T Wireless was bought out by them. The only thing in this for Cingular is to attract customers by enhancing the customer experience with hardware. Apple will no doubt make money on the hardware and Cingular will definitely get and retain more customers because of this exclusive product. You may be surprised how many people will stay or leave a company based on the phones they sell. Based on my experience I can almost guarantee that this will be way very popular and may very well outsell all other Palm/Blackberry devices combined. I am curious to see what the discount will be on a 2 year contract. Very nice to see Cingular getting an exclusive product like this. I wonder what Verizon will try and come up with to compete?

Lightwolf
01-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Well: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/technology/11cnd-apple.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
No third party apps. Darn, so the iPhone will not be officially hackable then... :thumbsdow

I was actually starting to like the concept, but I'm afraid it will be just as closed off as the iPod.

Cheers,
Mike

ScottSullivan
01-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Scott,
I am aware that it will play non DRM'ed files - but as far as I know it WILL need DRM software installed on my computer to manage it. And given the track record of this stuff, no way am I touching it with a barge pole.

I was wary before, but the two incidents that really tipped it over the edge for me were the Sony Rootkit Scandal, (I'm still avoiding Sony products after that mess), and the way that Windows Media Player has the habit of upgrades that make things worse, such as making it play LESS stuff, and more alarmingingly, deleting video files it thinks you should not have.

The aspect of moving the goal posts after it is installed is particularly offensive to me.

Thanks for the link about the rootkit stuff. I knew about that back when it hit and I'm with you 100% on that. Years ago, I used to buy all Sony. Several big disappointments with them and the rootkit was the straw on the camel's back.

Their best goof was a story from last year: Sony's BluRay player won't play BluRay discs!

So thank you for that link. It's nice to hear other people have the same concerns!

As knowledgeable as you are, Nick, it sounds like you're a person who would REALLY appreciate this paper by Peter Gutmann about how bad for consumers Vista's copy protection is. (I first heard Peter Gutmann on the TWiT podcast, "Security Now")

Here's a link to the report that goes into real in depth detail on how Vista will literally disable and paralyze certain parts of your computer .

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

Warm regards,
Scott

cresshead
01-13-2007, 12:50 AM
http://www.cresshead.com/wip/iphone_render.jpg

had to make one!:D

and a quick render...my youtube hosted animation
www.cresshead.com

Kuzey
01-13-2007, 06:32 AM
He's a cisco blog about the issue...very funny indeed, was for me anyway :thumbsup:

http://blogs.cisco.com/news/2007/01/update_on_ciscos_iphone_tradem.html

I'm sure Apple will open things up sooner or later, as far as I'm concerned I don't like cell phone contracts and would love to be able to write programs for it like everybody else :D

I say wait three months before you buy one so Apple gets the idea....but that's one sexy item.

Cresshead, you should a make mock up of LW running with a character rotating in place, that would be super cool :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Jim_C
01-13-2007, 06:58 AM
One thing I wonder.

The interface is cool loking and seems pretty revolutionary, but, using a cell phone(or mp3 player) has become a very tactile experience. Whether we realize it or not, we have gotten use to feeling with our fingers as we look elsewhere. (reading the phone number, talking to someone, ahemm..driving).

The new interface will rely on the user staring at the screen and only the screen as they do everything on the device. Dial, answer calls, turn on, off, turn volume up, down.

I have used my cell phone and my mp3 player, sight unseen, enough to be able to do just about everything to it in my pocket just by feeling the buttons.

That ability will be gone with the iPhone.

Just a thought.

Jim

starbase1
01-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Years ago, I used to buy all Sony.

Their best goof was a story from last year: Sony's BluRay player won't play BluRay discs!

As knowledgeable as you are, Nick, it sounds like you're a person who would REALLY appreciate this paper by Peter Gutmann about how bad for consumers Vista's copy protection is. (I first heard Peter Gutmann on the TWiT podcast, "Security Now")

Here's a link to the report that goes into real in depth detail on how Vista will literally disable and paralyze certain parts of your computer .
Warm regards,
Scott

Yes, I had seen that article. It's the kind of thing discussed in other threads here, like 'do you want LW for Linux'.

You are right about Sony too - it's not like they were always bad. They brought us the Walkman, (surely the grandfather of all MP3 players!), over the objections of their market researchers ('Who wants a tape recorder that doesn't record?!?!). They brought us the awesome PS2, still the worlds top selling console, despite all the fuss about Wii, PS3, and XBox.

But getting back to the phone, perhaps we are all being premature - after all, the thing that Apple are best at is inovative design, and ease of use especially. So until we hear a report from someone who has tried one it might be best to hold of of judgement.

Though I'm still not sure about combining a limited MP3 music player with a phone in the first place, and the price is a bit of a shock...

Nick

avkills
01-13-2007, 10:47 AM
What do you mean by "limited MP3" player? That it only plays purchased songs from iTunes Store. Well in that sense, you are correct, however it will still play any MP3 you make yourself or acquire.

Still for me the more I think about it, the non-user serviceable battery is a deal killer. My only phone is a cell phone, there is no way I can send it to Apple just for a new battery.

-mark

starbase1
01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Well, my main thought was just the player capacity - it will hold a lot less music than my much cheaper Archos, (which is also physically a lot smaller, and I don't run down my phone battery when I listen to it!).

I also think that iPods don't let you use them as a simple USB attached drive, and would guess the phone is the same... I use my player to store scans of important travels documents when flying abroad, or other copies of useful files. Basically the combination of the player I have and a web cafe is generally a very cheap way to stay in touch, and keep what I need with me...

I would be astonished if the camera is any good too - the form factor really kills off the idea of a decent camera in any normal sized portable phone - how ever many megapixels they quote. And I won't believe otherwise until a big name lens manufacturer like Zeiss is prepared to put their name on a camera phone.

I just think in general with these types of thing you end up with a larger than necessary phone, which is too complex, a half rate camera, inadequate storage, and a half rate media player. Paying more for them than you would for the better ones separately...

And I am really wondering how long it will take before any of the manufacturers realise that almost no-one wants to watch a TV program or film while they are walking up the street or driving, even if they like to listen to music. Hand held TV's didn't sell big, and likewise hand held DVD players. So why they think we will jump through hoops to get our DVD's onto a device that cost many times more, or pay expensive subs to watch them on a screen the size of my big toe, completely defeats me...

Nick

Jim_C
01-13-2007, 11:53 AM
And I am really wondering how long it will take before any of the manufacturers realise that almost no-one wants to watch a TV program or film while they are walking up the street or driving, even if they like to listen to music. Hand held TV's didn't sell big, and likewise hand held DVD players. So why they think we will jump through hoops to get our DVD's onto a device that cost many times more, or pay expensive subs to watch them on a screen the size of my big toe, completely defeats me...

I agree 100% with all your points except the one mentioned above.

As a very frequent flyer, cab rider, hotel lobby sitting, airline gate waiting, shuttle bus transporting video geek I am all for getting vids in my pocket and ready at a moments notice.

I am also all for bypassing hoop jumping and sub paying, but put on a good pair of headphones and get into the program and you forget you are watching on a small screen. Especially since it is usually no further away than arm's length.

Jim

avkills
01-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Actually iPods will work as USB or Firewire attached hard drives. And yes 4GB seems kind of small, which is why I think it needs a memory slot also.

And Jim is correct, this device will be very attractive to the frequent traveller. The airport/airplane is where my iPod gets the most use.

-mark

kilvano
01-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Personally i never leave my house without my ipod and phone but my main problem is that my ipod is 60gb and before that i had a 40gb.

While i would probably think about getting the iphone they would REALLY need to crank up the storage. Im sure they could make it 2mm thinker and fit another 8gb of flash in there.

I have 40gb of music and about 11gb of files that are permanently backed up on my ipod. I never go anywhere without those files of the ipod usb cable to use with it.

The iphone is a great intension but i would rather have a phone with a better camera and office software and separate music player

kopperdrake
01-13-2007, 01:16 PM
This might be indicative of how many people in the US fly on home-flights compared to those in the UK. It's still pretty rare to fly within the UK due to our size - the majority of journies in the UK would be by train I'd imagine - no journey being that long to warrant a serious video playback option - unless you want to get mugged for your gadget ;)

I agree with starbase - I never use my archos for video playback, mostly just an in-car plug-in mp3 player or somewhere to store my photos on holidays. I can't see myself using a portable video player but if I flew regularly I could imagine it.

starbase1
01-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Ah, I thought the entire thing was managed with iTunes.

Anyway, I found a couple of very interesting items on ZD Net by Rupert Goodwins - he knows the whole comms area inside out.

http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/comment/0,1000002138,39285449,00.htm?r=1
http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10004768o-2000331777b,00.htm

He makes some very well argued points that the real problems Apple faces are with the phone network companies, who will not play nice, and have utterly different business models. I was particularly impressed by:

The iPhone feature that's missing is voice over IP. This is, of course, the phone system of the future. It's also the reason the networks aren't going to be able to rely on voice and texts to provide 80 percent of their revenue any more. Every instinct in Apple's body corporate will be screaming: "Tell the networks to stick their 100-year-old business model up their Strowagers, we're going VoIP". And every one of those 400 GSM networks will say: "I'm sorry, we thought you wanted to do business with us."

He also flat does not believe the stated battery life.

Nick

starbase1
01-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd be interested to know what people here think of hand held PC type devices, (include anything along the lines of palm pilots, organisers, anything that is is first and foremost a small computer...

I made the mistake of upgrading to a Nokia N70 from a Motorola Razr last time around - I find the N70 has way too much stuff on it, (not just a video camera, but video editing software, spreadsheet stuff, radio, you name it). Thing is, as it has no keyboard, just a wobble button thats a sort of 1 cm square joystick, it's a pig to operate.

I guess we are the kind of people who would be likely to have a use for portable processing power, and I'd be interested to hear...

Nick

avkills
01-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Well for music, photos, video and media the iPod is managed with iTunes; there is no way around that. That being said, iTunes does not inherently have any DRM built into it unless you start buying stuff off the iTunes store. But you can use the iPod as a hard drive to back up whatever else you see fit, I've used my to transport video animations to and from work.

I just want a phone that works *great* as a phone. My Sony Ericsson T610 or whatever, has been sucking big time lately.

Now I still have a 1st gen iPod (5GB), so the 4GB limit on the Phone isn't really bothering me that much, but like I said, without a user changeable battery and possibly a memory slot; way too much money.

-mark

kopperdrake
01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Like I've mentioned, I've used a palm os system for almost 10 years now and after my latest sony clie (ux50) died saw it as an excuse to finally get a smart phone, and replace my knackered t610 as I'd really come to had the GUI system it used - some really irritating workflows. I don't care about music on it, or video to be honest. I wanted something that wasn't too big, would integrate with Outlook perfectly, had wi-fi and g3 for using email and internet when abroad (as a freelancer you know how important it is for clients to get to you), and could be used as a g3 modem with my laptop. Also needed a full keyboard and a camera useful enough that if I need rough reference images it'll do the job. I ended up with the HTC TyTN, which comes in all sorts of guises - O2 XDA Trion, Vodaphone v1605 etc. So far it's ok but i really feel that windows mobile tries to be too much like windows on a device that should be useable with one hand if needed. Often you need to use the stylus, if you have many contacts the scroll wheel becomes unuseable - you're forced to use the stylus to choose the surname you want. So many things on it have their own way of doing things it just feels patched together. For instance, depending on how you choose the person you want to phone, you get 2 ways of phoning them; first way it just dials them and the telephone interface pops us, second way the same interface pops up but underneath the 'dial' button there's another 'dial' button for voice *and* video dialling. This means you have to actually press one of them to dial, but of course it's at your ear already so you can't see that until you realise you're stood there for 10 seconds with no ringtone ;) The process of dialling someone can also be convoluted - turn on, type in your (optional) pin code, press 'contacts', scroll down the list (and get caught in the scroll fiasco mentioned above), hit the person you want, choose the number of theirs you want, hit phone, and sometimes choose between normal and video phone. Thank heaven they have a decent voice dial function. It'll do me for a few years - it's great having everything in the same place, but I really feel someone can do it better.

I've ranted haven't I? Oops :)

Forsh
01-13-2007, 07:49 PM
The iphone would be awesome. The thing is, there are so many other devices out there that do the same thing. Here in Japan, there are a number of gadgets that have tons of these features. That touch screen does look nice though. >.<

Bog
01-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd be interested to know what people here think of hand held PC type devices, (include anything along the lines of palm pilots, organisers, anything that is is first and foremost a small computer...

Hi! Sounds like you're talking to me. I've been a strong proponent of Palm and cellphone for yeeeaaars now, but late last year when my Motorola v3i was making me weep tears of steaming black ichor for being Utterly Unreliable (four in two months! All with different faults!) and my Palm LifeDrive, gorgeous as it is in a lot of ways, was being hideously slow to do normal day-to-day things, I caved in and upgraded to an Orange SPV M600.

This is a small Pocket PC based Smartphone. It's main roles are as my pocket organiser, nagging me and reminding me what I'm supposed to be doing of a week, helping me track projects, managing my contacts and in a boredom-suppression role of music player and eBook. It's a touchscreen device with an SD slot (currently 2Gb of rather fine chip-tunes and electronica, garnished with a soupcon of metal and rock), a 2-megapixel camera with a macro lens (activated by rotating the camera surround), and it generally Does All That.

On-board software included mobile versions of Word and Excel, so invoicing clients On The Day is a snap ;) It can also view but not edit Powerpoint presentations, so rehersals on the train aren't unheard of when I'm teaching. Windows Media is also included, and all I've ever done to put music on it is stuff the SD into any of my card-readers and dump choonz on there. Peasy. Same with WMV video (the display's 480x320). ClearType makes using it as an eBook a sheer pleasure, though it's in riffy .LIT format rather than my previously enjoyed Palm Mobipocket and ereader formats.

To make web browsing easier, I installed Opera Mini, so pages get stripped of their CSS junk and just presented clearly. Both this and IE follow screen orientations properly, though as a Windows smartphone user I do have to press a button on screen rather than use an accelerometer. Strangely, I feel little poorer for this task.

In the interests of being a Connected Indimuvidual, I installed Skype on the ickle thing, which is just cracking as I can make free VoIP calls from anyplace with 802. Smashing. Replacable hi-cap battery as well (you know it's bad when phone geeks sound like gun-nuts with their Hi-Cap this and chundering on about the finish and heft of the thing... ;) )and all told it's a gorgeous little thing. Does just what it says on the tin. I was reading off it in the queue for the bank, chilling out to a little Machinae Supremacy over the headphones. Left the bank, phone rang. Music playback paused automatically, yammered on phone, other party hung up, music playback resumed.

Hedonism!

Free with any contract with Orange over 35 a month - so brilliant for a busy freelancer like wot I am.

BeeVee
01-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Don't forget that eReader (http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/15004?software=eReader_for_Pocket_PC_and_Windows_M obile_Editions) is available for PocketPC devices...

B

starbase1
01-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Hmmm... interesting one in todays technology Guardian.

See if you still think the iPhone is innovative after reading this article, which pioints out siome extremely strong similarities in every area with the LG KE850:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/opinion/story/0,,1992408,00.html
Pics:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/11/iphone-and-lg-ke850-separated-at-birth/

And you may actually be able to get one of those in europe this year...

Nick

livinglegend
01-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I won't pay that much for a phone

ted
01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I won't pay that much for a phone

But that's the beauty, it's so much more then a phone.
Gotta admit though, sometimes my Cingular 8525 is almost too much more! :D
Love all it can do though, I get so much done with it. But software is buggy. Feel like I'm helping them develop their product. :)