PDA

View Full Version : Press Release: NewTek Announces Universal Version of LightWave v9 for Mac OS X

Kurtis
01-09-2007, 01:00 PM
NewTek Announces Universal Version of LightWave® v9 for Mac OS X

Public Testing Program to begin: all registered owners of LightWave 3D® version 9 invited to participate in the final testing phase of the latest Mac-based technology.

San Francisco, CA, Macworld, – January 9, 2007 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced that the Universal version of LightWave 3D® will be available in March 2007. LightWave 3D for the new generation of Intel®-based Macs takes full advantage of the advancements in the operating system and development environment from Apple, providing noticeable speed and performance improvements for Mac users. The Universal version enables LightWave® to run on both the PowerPC G4 and G5 CPUs and the new Intel-based Macs. Optimized performance will be provided for Mac users natively on both series of CPUs.
Full press release... (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/01-09-07.html)

hrgiger
01-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, there will be a little less crying around here and that makes me happy.

KillMe
01-09-2007, 04:21 PM
take it that means that 9.2 should be ready in march too

Kurtis
01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
No. LightWave v9.2 should move out of open beta and into the public fairly soon. We're just moving the start of the open beta for UB up to before the end of the v9.2 open beta.

toby
01-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, there will be a little less crying around here
Why, are you leaving?

What an asinine remark.

hrgiger
01-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Perhaps Toby you're reading my comment as Mac users are a bunch of whiners. If that's the impression I'm giving, my apologies, it wasn't my intention. It was just a little shot at those few who seem to be under the conspiracy theory that Mac users are persecuted somehow because they're not somehow enjoying the benefits that everyone else may be (especially true whenever a new plug-in comes out- You can't swing a dead cat around here without hititng someone who is saying "No Mac version? Mac users get screwed again!").

BTW, nice signature.

toby
01-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Fugedaboudit!

3dworks
01-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Perhaps Toby you're reading my comment as Mac users are a bunch of whiners. If that's the impression I'm giving, my apologies, it wasn't my intention. It was just a little shot at those few who seem to be under the conspiracy theory that Mac users are persecuted somehow because they're not somehow enjoying the benefits that everyone else may be (especially true whenever a new plug-in comes out- You can't swing a dead cat around here without hititng someone who is saying "No Mac version? Mac users get screwed again!").

BTW, nice signature.

it's always a matter of perspective and a state of mind. in a world where pc users where in a minority you wouldn't certainly have made this remark...

markus

hrgiger
01-10-2007, 03:47 AM
it's always a matter of perspective and a state of mind. in a world where pc users where in a minority you wouldn't certainly have made this remark...

markus

Actually, no. In a world where pc users were a minority, I would be a Mac user. It is the availability of software and options that make me a pc user in the first place. Everyone who buys a computer should be well aware of the situation of the market.

Brötje
01-10-2007, 06:32 AM
When can we register for this Universal Binary of Lightwave 9?

Kurtis
01-10-2007, 08:06 AM
You can register for the open beta at any time. Universal Binary will be a part of the existing open beta program.

CMT
01-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Actually, no. In a world where pc users were a minority, I would be a Mac user. It is the availability of software and options that make me a pc user in the first place. Everyone who buys a computer should be well aware of the situation of the market.

Which is why I bought a Mac! :)

Good to hear about the beta! I'll definately be checking it out.

Sentinel45
01-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I have LW 9.0 for a Power PC. Does this mean I get a free upgrade to the Universal version, or is their a fee for a crossgrade, as it was the case for Final Cut Studio?

Thomas
01-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I have LW 9.0 for a Power PC. Does this mean I get a free upgrade to the Universal version, or is their a fee for a crossgrade, as it was the case for Final Cut Studio?
The UB will be free of charge :)

Regards
Thomas

Kurtis
01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
The UB will be free of charge :)

Regards
Thomas

Yep.

jchaney01
01-15-2007, 02:29 PM
I asked the question a month ago after a half year has passed since a "Technology Preview" was demonstrated; When will it be available. Another announcement that the beta is now ready so I ask again. When will it be available? Last word was that is is "Being prepared for the open beta program". Will preparing it also take half a year? We're at 1 week so far.......:bangwall: