PDA

View Full Version : 'Use Bones From Object'

toby
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Apparently the manual states:

"Use Bones From Object -
This pop up menu allows you to choose a different object whose bone properties you would like edit. When you first open the Bone Properties panel you only have access to the bones of the object that you had originally selected. This allows you to change to a different object without have to leave the properties panel."

Which is totally wrong!

Dodgy
01-09-2007, 04:25 AM
How about this:

jeremyhardin
01-09-2007, 05:05 AM
How is it wrong? I've used the 'use bones from' stuff before? I'm not contradicting you, just not clear on what you're saying?

And dodgy, what does yours do differently?

Phil
01-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Because you aren't actually editing the bones, but using them? The description is inaccurate in this respect.

Additionally, the workflow is arse-about-face. If you don't have bones in object1 and want to use bones from object2, you need to select object1 and then enable bone mode, whereby nothing is shown as selected because you don't actually have any bones to work with. You then need to bring up the property dialog, which is counterintuitive because you don't have any bones selected or available, and then select use bones from .... It's needlessly complicated and confusing.

It would be much more sensible to do this from object2, which has bones, than from object1 which....doesn't. 'Assign bones to' rather than 'use bones from', if you like.

In addition, pictures showing the required sequence, rather than wordy explanations, would have made this and many other notes in the documentation much more....useful.

jeremyhardin
01-09-2007, 07:04 AM
ah. very true. always hated working in the bones properties when I had no bones in an object.

Dodgy
01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
How is it wrong? I've used the 'use bones from' stuff before? I'm not contradicting you, just not clear on what you're saying?

And dodgy, what does yours do differently?

It just makes it easier to setup. Select the objects you want to be controlled, and then the boned object and activate the plugin. The non boned objects should now be using the bones of the boned objects.

I've tried using the menu item Setup>Bones>BoneSourceObject and it doesn't seem to do anything.

toby
01-09-2007, 09:53 PM
You can just tell whoever wrote this thought that you would be switching objects with the drop-down list, as if it were like the list in object properties or light properties. If you used the bone drop-down list to switch objects, you'd still be editing the same bones, not "a different object whose bone properties you would like edit".

Mrjack
01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Hello guy's use bone from work like that:
first select the object who you want to be deformed Hit Shift B a virtual bone propriety apaer go to Use bone from and choos the object Who's bonn'd and tdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......
Thank's

geothefaust
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Mrjack,

Thanks a freaking TON!! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I couldn't remember how to do that, and your post was uber helpful. So many many thanks. :)

rezman
03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
geothefaust LOVE your avatar!!

geothefaust
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Haha, thanks. :D

It's a good one.