PDA

View Full Version : Can't open an IFF in Photoshop

TunnelWalker
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I am trying to open some IFF files that I rendered a while back in LW 8.5. Photoshop tells me it "could not complete the request because the file format module cannot parse the file."

So I looked in my Photoshop CS2/Plug-ins/FileFormats directory and I have an AmigaIFF.8BI.

With more testing, I discovered that LW gives me 2 different IFF render choices. IFF ILBM, and IFF32 ILBM. And I discovered that my Photoshop evidently doesn't like iffs with alpha. (IFF32 ILBM)?

Could someone suggest a plug-in download for my photoshop, or am I chasing down the wrong aspect of the problem? If it were'nt for the smoke and lightbeams, I would just re-render it all as a 32 bit tiff sequence.

Silkrooster
01-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I did not see iff as a format for photoshop cs2, so I could not test it there. However I did find the format listed for after effects. I also received the same error when trying a 32 bit iff file. But the 24 bit file worked fine.
Silk

BigHache
01-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I ran into the same problem recently. I have some IFF sequences rendered from Maya that work fine, but neither of the IFF options from LW would import into AE.

Try this plug-in (http://www.fxshare.com/downloads/tools/photoshop_plugins/Maya-IFF--EI--PIX--RLA--SGI--PIC--photoshop-plugin-3799.html). I'm on a Mac and was not able to open the LW IFFs with this plug but maybe you'll sport some better results.

My workaround was to use TGA sequences.

toby
01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Easy-peasy. Load the image sequence into LW as a background, and render a new sequence in a different format.

Hmm - in order to retain the alpha it looks like you have to clone the image and set it to Alpha only, and use both sequences in the Foreground part of the compositing tab.

Also note this render will go fastest set to 1 thread.

radams
01-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi All,

Do you have access to Aura, Mirage, VT or SE ?

All of them will load it...including the alpha...then you can save to any other format...

Or if you need drop one of those files here & I'll see if I can get PS-CS2 to work with it...

Cheers,

gerry_g
01-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I seem to remember there were a bunch of Maya specific file handler plug-ins in an extras folder that came with CS2, I have them loaded in my version (see pic) there is also a plug-in dater base on the Adobe Site for registered users where u can go download them yourself, if this is not the one u are on about sorry for the misinformation

Silkrooster
01-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I never bothered to look for any extras. Seams like each time I read about an extra in the help file, it is not there. So I just assumed the extras came with the ala-carte version of photoshop and not the suite version.
Silk

Red_Oddity
01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
In the Goodies folder on your PS install disc there should be plugins that allow importing of IFF.
Mind you though, LW can save out IFF files in float, i dont' think PS will handle this.

Silkrooster
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I only looked at the goodies folder on my hard drive, maybe thats why I did not see anything. I just assumed the entire dvd was copied to the hard drive.
Silk