PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally ready to load LW 9...

TunnelWalker
01-08-2007, 02:16 PM
We bought LW 9 last February with the vue 5 offer,-- well actually we got LW version 8.5, and I have been happily using it since it came out in late April.

Schedule-wise, my summers and falls are killers. LW 9 came out right when I got swamped, and at the time, people were having big trouble with their downloads, and with bugs, etc, so we decided I should wait... Now I finally have a few months of easy schedule, so I am ready to dive in.

I have barely looked at these boards in the last 7 months, so I guess what I am asking is: Do I need to do anything tricky or funky to get this thing downloaded and installed?

I hate to seem lazy, but I didn't want to spend a week sifting through 7 months of old posts. Could someone tell me in a sentence or two if the waters are safe?

You guys have given me great advice in the past, I really appreciate your patience for some of us that aren't as technically saavy. I wish I could return the kindness. Do you take paypal?

TunnelWalker
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Thank you!

Ready.. Set.. GO!

Maxx
01-08-2007, 08:42 PM
If you're in on the open betas, go straight to the latest version. You'll enjoy it. And take a peek around the ob forums to catch up. :D

TunnelWalker
01-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Hey, It works! Thanks everyone!

Maxx, no thanks, I'm gonna stay here for a while, in the shallow end of the pool. There might be monsters in the deep water under the diving boards.

I'm gonna just watch for a while.

Otterman
01-09-2007, 08:07 AM
TunnelWalker- I dare not look down at that canyon you've just leapt across!
Is it nice over there?

Im working on a Mac and hear rumors of a true 64bit version coming soon! Think I might hold off for a while. Im comfy here!

BeeVee
01-09-2007, 08:26 AM
A true 64-bit version for Mac will have to wait for a true 64-bit Mac OS... :( The worst of it is that our Intel iMac, one of the first generation "only" uses a standard Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo, so it's stuck at 32-bit.

B

TunnelWalker
01-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Otterman, C'mon in, the water is fine.

I look a little dorky in my life jacket and arm floaties! But I don't care, I'm getting my toesies wet. And it looks like there are dozens of lifeguards ready to help us if we need it.

Phil
01-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Along with the odd shark or two ;) I'd still highly recommend looking at the Open Beta for 9.2 - it is, as you might expect, a marked improvement on many levels.

Trust us....we won't lead you too far astray.

Wonderpup
01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Its also worth joining the open beta to get hold of the latest dongle drivers that newtek have kindly provided in the download section- just in case yours are not the latest versions.

Otterman
01-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Ooo i still dont know- worried my shorts might go see-throu!

EagleWing
01-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Lightwave 9 is awesome in general all areas.

the only problems i'm having are as follows:

When selecting a scene/object to load in Layout, layout crashes and closes to the desktop with no error message.

the Hub causes Modeler to hang and become irresponsive, have done many different things and the genereric fix for this until 9.2 is released anyways is to remove hub, modeler and layout from the windows firewall list, then reload the program and allow it access to use TCP.

I know Motion Designer is old and i now use ClothFX and ther other Dynamic effects but whenever I try to use MD from following Tutorials or whatever, or just to use it the only thing that happens is the ones set to Target for example seem to do is increase in scale, even though they're meant to be like fabric and "flop". Not a major thing as ClothFX is a lot better apparently and form what i've seen but i figure if it's there it should at least work. lol.
This problem could be specific to me, i won't know until I re-format and install again.

Again, The problem with selecting the scene/object to load may be specific to me but never had the problem on 8.5.

mj418
01-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Does it happen with all scenes/objects, or is there just one in particular?
Are these LW 8.5 scenes and/or objects?
You mean it crashes when trying to load, or it crashes when you have...(um..what OS?) the load dialog open?
Or are you using the LW file menu?

I haven't had any problems at all with any scenes or objects, and I still have the LW 7 and 8 content on my drive, plus everything from Dan Ablan since Inside LightWave 7 - 8, and all kinds of other stuff I made over the last few years.