PDA

View Full Version : Custom Residential Home - Arch Viz

Larry_g1s
01-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Here is a recent custom residential home I've completed. I'm always looking to grow as an artist, so C&C is welcomed. Thanks.

BigHache
01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Nice level of detail and good camera angle.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the non-flat surfaces like the tile roof and the slate siding. They don't seem to pop enough. And it'd probably be okay for onscreen or 11"x17" print, but it might be more noticable if you were to print an 18"x24" presentation board.

The painted walls seem just a little to smooth as well. I typically add a little but of procedural bump to break up the surface of a flat wall.

I like the Crape Myrtle too. Good job.

gaushell
01-09-2007, 07:05 AM
You might want to add a slight bump to the walls. They seem to smooth.

Softer shadows would be helpful too.

Looking good!

safetyman
01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I love the grass texture. Any tips you can share?

cagey5
01-09-2007, 12:56 PM
The grass does look quite nice though it does have an obvious repeat pattern in it. I presume it's been done with an image map. That's what I would use.

Larry_g1s
01-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Nice level of detail and good camera angle.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the non-flat surfaces like the tile roof and the slate siding. They don't seem to pop enough. And it'd probably be okay for onscreen or 11"x17" print, but it might be more noticable if you were to print an 18"x24" presentation board.

The painted walls seem just a little to smooth as well. I typically add a little but of procedural bump to break up the surface of a flat wall.

I like the Crape Myrtle too. Good job.Thanks for the complements BigHache, I agree with you on the roof tile. I did it that way (ie. texture map instead of individual tiles) to keep it within the client's budget. If you have another sollution to make em' pop more, I'm listening.

You might want to add a slight bump to the walls. They seem to smooth.

Softer shadows would be helpful too.

Looking good!You're probably right in that it needs more bump than what I have, but it's a different type of stucco finish (see attached pic of actually house below) that's a little bit more flat. Like I said, mine could probably use a bit more than what I have. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll mess with the shadows a bit too.

I love the grass texture. Any tips you can share?Yes, it is an image map. I've got okay results with Saslite for grass. But for shots like this that's pulled back a bit more & a well kept look, I'll use this image.

BigHache
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I've modeled S-tile roofs before and it takes a lot of polys.

What may work from a distance though is using your texture for the tiles and creating a displace map. Then take your roof objects and turn them to SubPatches and kick up the Render SubPatch level so the displace map can affect it proper. May even put Bump and Spec maps on as well. Just a theory, but could look nice.