PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to create Pin Art in Lightwave 3D 9

betacam
01-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I thought I might see if others have any suggestions on how to create pin art in Lightwave.

I'm trying to create a "pin art" object in lightwave that lifts the pegs when certain images are applied.

If you're not sure what I mean by pin art; here's a link: http://www.officeplayground.com/pinart.html

Right now, I have a greyscale image as a deform displacement map on the object of an array of pins. The pins lift, however, they also get distorted, rather than keeping the shape of the pins.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to make this pin art so when a grey scale image is applied the pins move on the Y axis and don't get distorted?

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike:lwicon:

Dodgy
01-08-2007, 10:29 AM
http://www.lwg3d.org/v3/presets.php?item=688

Download this plugin.

Make a morph on your individual pins which have their horizontal scales 0 (so the pins are in the same position, just really thin).
Using the plugin, flip the thin morph with the base morph.

Go into layout.
AFTER the textured morph plugin, add the morph mixer and put the 'thin' morph (which is now the original shape) to 100%.
Hopefully now the texture will work on the pins as if they are point sized horizontally-speaking, thus not getting any distortion.

UnCommonGrafx
01-08-2007, 10:44 AM
There was once an article in a mag that was a tute on this. The gist of it was that you should have an image that corresponded to the number of pins you had; this to avoid the distortion you speak of.

betacam
01-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks to both of you!

I'll give both ideas a shot.

Mike

eyelandarts
01-08-2007, 11:51 AM
ah yes, i did a tute on this a long time ago. its very outdated now but might prove usefull. www.eyelandarts.com
look for the tutorial link in the second icon.
BTW, DPI in there really should have been pixel size but i never got around to fixing that :P

betacam
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks a bunch eyelandarts!

Much appreciated!

gatz
01-08-2007, 03:23 PM
You should check out the work of Alexander Alexeieff and Claire Parker. They created animated shorts using large pin-easels. It created a charcoal drawing look that had a ghostly, fluid effect. They used engraving tools to "draw" on the back of a 1,000,000 pin screen. Their "Night on Bald Mountain" (1933) is mind blowing. I don't know where you'd find copies of their work (NoBM was featured in a Tournee) but it's worth the hunt. They did opening animations for Orson Wells' The Trial, which is easy to find, but it's not as involved as NoBM.

After you see these you'll realize it's not just the look. Animated textures displacing a plane rendered with occlusion might duplicate it. It's the flowing transitions and images that make the technique so mezmerizing.

rg

betacam
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Gatz.. Thanks for the heads up on the artists, I'll be sure to check them out.

And thanks to all the posted ideas!

No one can beat the Newtek community!