PDA

View Full Version : wacom tablet user

titane357
01-08-2007, 09:08 AM
I have problem using a wacom tablet with LW.
All is fine with photoshop, m*d*, LW tools (bevel,selections, brush...) EXCEPT move, rotate, scale tools.
Anybody ?

JGary
01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Make sure you have layout and modeler set to use the tablet (display options->Interface->Input Device).

titane357
01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
ooooopppss !!! :D Thanks a lot.... :rolleyes:

monfoodoo
01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I thinking of getting a tablet.Just how useful is it for photoshop?And what size would you reccomend?

Earl
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Very useful for Photoshop, and although LightWave doesn't support pressure sensitivity I find I model much faster with a tablet than a mouse.

I would get either the 6x8, 6x11 (widescreen), or 9x12. For best performance make sure to get an Intuos rather than a Graphire.

Safe Harbor
01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I couldn't afford a Wacom so I bought an Adesso 12x12 and LOVE it. I use it in Photoshop all the time. It makes so many tasks a LOT easier, especially painting and retouching. Here's a painting I did for a friend of mine (this gets glued onto an iron clock).

parm
01-08-2007, 03:25 PM
No question how useful a tablet is. Getting the right size is important though, so try to try before you buy.

Personally, I like to hold the tablet while working and sometimes find my A4, (9 x 12), a little too large at times.

lilrayray77
01-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Im using a 6x8 (graphire unfortunately), and it really is nice. I prefer to use it in photoshop, Zbrush, and when doing certain things in lightwave (ex: splines). Tablets have a more natural feeling, which is a big plus.

Glendalough
01-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Here also interested in this:

Would a 4X5 be just too small?

The Graphire4 6X8 is $200 and the Intuos3 4X6 is $230.

Which would be better choice? Silly question a bit, I know

This would be for using in 3D programs only, not Photoshop etc.

For modeling primarily -not so much painting. (Lightwave) and mostly thinking of something like Zbrush and Mudbox.

Any ideas or thoughts? Oh yeah, if you did have to do a bit of painting would it really be impossible on a small tablet?

Speedmonk42
01-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Though this is not from experience, just something I heard, remember to consider the aspect ratio of you screen and the tablet. Make sure they are the same.

Earl
01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Can be corrected in the drivers.
Yep, which is the main reason I like using a 9x12 tablet. I can customize how much of the tablet I actually use for the screen in the driver and it's somewhere around 7.8x10.4 inches (for my non-widescreen monitor at work) and about 6.5x10.4 inches at home (widescreen monitor).

Glendalough
01-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks ever so much for all the replies and information.

Just one last thing. What is the purpose of the mouse Wacom is selling with these tablets? Does the tablet sort of double as a mouse pad? Surely this -in the long term- would wear it out?

JGary
01-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Here also interested in this:

Would a 4X5 be just too small?

The Graphire4 6X8 is $200 and the Intuos3 4X6 is $230.

Which would be better choice? Silly question a bit, I know

This would be for using in 3D programs only, not Photoshop etc.

For modeling primarily -not so much painting. (Lightwave) and mostly thinking of something like Zbrush and Mudbox.

Any ideas or thoughts? Oh yeah, if you did have to do a bit of painting would it really be impossible on a small tablet?

I have a 21" Cintiq and a 4x6" Intuos3 that I use when my laptop is undocked from the Cintiq. That's a pretty big size difference between the two and I have no problems painting with either. I definitely like the large 21" lcd tablet better, but between the regular Intuos tablets, prefer a smaller one because it's easier to move around. Years ago, I had a older 12x12 and traded someone for a 6x8. Since getting the Cintiq, I have completely stopped using a mouse. There are a few things that would still be easier with a mouse, but in most cases I think the tablet works better for me. It did take some getting used to. You might want to check out the Graphire 4x5 (it's only $90) versus the Intuos3. I bought that one first and it seemed ok, but it's drivers were incompatible with my Cintiq drivers (the Intuos and Cintiq use the same drivers). Only real difference between the two was the pressure sensitivity (512 vs 1024)

Glendalough
01-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks again for all the info!

Yeah, think it best maybe to go for the small Graphire and just see how the whole thing works. It would upset my present desk arrangement the least and doesn't cost much. Have only ever used a mouse so should be an experience.

When I went back to college years ago now, I used to see the tablets lying around but no one seemed to use them, they probably weren't much good in those days (late 90's).

monfoodoo
01-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Anyway to see a shot of what the screen looks like in use?

gerry_g
01-10-2007, 03:12 PM
The mouse has a soft cloth pad on its underside (no moving parts) and is actually very pleasant to use, it's a three button wheel mouse and is very compatible with Lightwave if the pen freaks u out too much at first, cos they do take some practice..............he who has used one for some seven or eight years now.

BigHache
01-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I bought the $99 low-end 4x5 Graphire when I got started. I've since moved up to a 6x8 Intuos 2 (I was able to get a floor model from the Apple store at a reduced price).

The 4x5 is a good place to start. One of the main differences in the Graphire and Intuos, which you'll notice by using them, are the levels of pressure sensitivity. The Graphire has 512 while the Intuos has 1024, and it makes a big difference.

A tablet is an essential tool for programs like Photoshop or Painter. It will take a moment to get used to though.

My mouse broke so all I have right now is a tablet and it's been kinda nice to use with LW. Games are incredible to use with a tablet too!

Be aware too that if you get a 4x5 and try to use it on a two monitor spanning setup and you move your mouse 2" your cursor is on the other screen.

JGary
01-10-2007, 08:13 PM

Are you talking about the Cintiq monitor? If so, yeah I can take a shot and post it.

ScottSullivan
01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by monfoodoo

This is my wife's Cintiq 21. She's a caricature artist. I'm stuck with the Wacom Intuis but steal, uh, um, borrow her tablet when she's not on it.

That's not me drawing on it, that's another caricature artist friend of ours who wanted to play with it, so he drew Angie (my wife). By the way, it's setup in 'widescreen' mode in the picture. It can be stretched to the full size of the Cintiq.

:D

Scott

JGary
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Oh man, ScottSullivan already posted someimages. Action shots no less!! :thumbsup:

Well, already took the shots so here's some more. Tried to get one with LW running so you can see how it fills the screen. Also included a shot of it down and tilted more like a drawing table. (the way I usually set it when using Zbrush) My only complaint with the Cintiq is that I've had it for about 7 months now and I'm noticing some light scratches on the screen especially where the timeline is (caused from scrubbing the timeline). The scratches are light and I think they happened from me using a pen tip that was past due for a changing, so I'm now a little paranoid about it and change the tip more often.

40751]

Realimagesvideo
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Wow..that makes so much sense from a LW stand point. Thanks JGary!

Glendalough
01-11-2007, 07:45 AM
As long as they were Wacom tablets, they were plenty good back in the 90's, I think I got my first Wacom UD series 6x8 (Artpad II) back in '95. :)

Hah, that's good.

The mouse has a soft cloth pad on its underside (no moving parts) and is actually very pleasant to use, it's a three button wheel mouse and is very compatible with Lightwave if the pen freaks u out too much at first, cos they do take some practice..............he who has used one for some seven or eight years now.

Yeah, the mouse sounds like a definate plus now. Can imagine the pen being freaksome, and have steered clear of the tablet for this reason. Better face it now!

Be aware too that if you get a 4x5 and try to use it on a two monitor spanning setup and you move your mouse 2" your cursor is on the other screen.

Thanks for this warning. But don't think now I will ever go two monitors, hoping the the single monitor will just get wider, bigger and cheaper -most important.

ingo
01-11-2007, 09:44 AM
This is my wife's Cintiq 21. She's a caricature artist. I'm stuck with the Wacom Intuis but steal, uh, um, borrow her tablet when she's not on it.

That's not me drawing on it, that's another caricature artist friend of ours who wanted to play with it, so he drew Angie (my wife). By the way, it's setup in 'widescreen' mode in the picture. It can be stretched to the full size of the Cintiq....

Ah thanks, actually someone using a Cintiq. I had one for a few weeks for testing but i gave up because its way to big. You have to go long ways with the pen which makes it hard to use, maybe i'll try the smaller Cintiq one day.

The last time i touched a mouse was long ago. I have now my third Wacom, and as usual the small 6x8. If now only someone comes up with a useable keyboard that would be even better.

CAClark
01-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I use my intuos2 for everything, only using a mouse on the rare occasion I play bettlefield 2

Cheers!

T-Light
01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I had a HUGE A3 tablet back in the amiga days from cherry with a pen and a puck, decent but no sensitivity. Since then I've had one tablet damaged by someone with a heavy hand and another stolen :(.

For piece of mind I bought a small cheap graphire for the laptop bag. Not in the same realm as the ones mentioned above but blows away a mouse when it comes to artwork, infact it's impossible to use a mouse or a touchpad in the same way as a touch sensitive tablet.

Even if you buy a tiny graphire, I guarantee it'll be indispensible from day one :thumbsup: