PDA

View Full Version : need help with making a machine gun bullet effect

Snowhill06
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I have been trying to make automatic machine gun effects using the particle emitter but i cant get it to work. The only thing that i can get it to do is shoot particles upward. Also when i try to render them they dont even show up. Is there any tutorials on how to make automatic weapon effects. I know how to make the muzzle effect just not the actual bullets zooming out. I would like to get the william h taft plugin set which has an easy built automatic tracer feature but that costs 200$!! thats about the same price i bought lightwave for at the academic superstore. So can someone either tell me how to do it or give me a link to a tutorial already made about the gun effect.:lwicon: :) :)

starbase1
01-08-2007, 03:28 AM
There was a tutorial covering exactly this, complete with wall damage, in one of the magazines I saw very recently..., but I don't have it with me and can't remember which one...

Errr... I >>think<< it may have been 3d World.

I'l let you know if my brian starts to work!

Nick

Maxx
01-08-2007, 05:42 AM
It was 3D World - issue 86. Just picked it up yesterday here in the US.

Snowhill06
01-08-2007, 11:16 AM
thanks but what i was looking for is an online tutorial because i cant find the 3d world magazine anywhere except barnes and nobles but the nearest one to me is an hour away.

starbase1
01-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, the one in the mag is perfect for you - why not order a copy online? You would get sample scenes and everything...

Snowhill06
01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
I was looking at ordering it but the currency is in euros and i live in the us so i dont know if you can order it in dollers.

Verlon
01-08-2007, 11:44 PM
you can order it....I order stuff from al over the world.

Besides that, you could probably get it from Barnes and Nobles or Amazon or Border books online also

BigHache
01-09-2007, 08:25 AM
3D World goes for $14.99 retail in the U.S. Barnes and Noble typically carries it.

Dodgy
01-09-2007, 10:15 AM
What effect are you looking for? Just the bullets shooting out? Or the damage as they hit walls etc?

For bullets:
Add a PARTIGON emitter, not a Hypervoxel emitter. This means you can setup a surface in the Surface editor which will be quick to render. Set the Luminosity in the Surface editor to 100% and add a gradient in the colour channel set to use distance to object and set the object to the emitter itself. Make the gradient fade from white to yellow to orange. This'll give you a nice bullet, the size of which you can change using the Particle/Line thickness in the object properties tab will make them fatter.
In the Particle emitter settings, use Motion>Velocity to shoot the particle out in one direction. In the Generator tab, use the Size settings to shrink the emitter down to the size of your gun barrel.

If you want actual bullets, select your bullet object and use FX_Dynamic linker set to the emitter to get the bullets popping out with the particles.

Snowhill06
01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
thanks dodgy that worked perfect

EagleWing
01-12-2007, 07:59 PM
what IS the difference between Hypervoxels and Partigon emitter?

I've only heard of Partigons once, just now. from what you said Dodgy is it correct that Partigons you can assign a surface to them like a polygon?

Silkrooster
01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Partigons can use the surface editor, while the normal emiter require hypervoxels to be visible during a render. Therefore partigons will render faster and can be used for things like sparks, stars, anything small roughly about a pixel in size. Hypervoxels allow the creation of special effects, like running water, fireworks, snowflakes or leaves falling, etc.
Silk