PDA

View Full Version : Drag Net

mj418
01-06-2007, 07:32 PM
This is one of those AHA! moments for me. I remember way back to LW 7, when I first got it and I was playing around with the Modeler tools. I came across this thing called Drag Net, and tried it out.
It moved my entire object around and I thought, "well, that's pretty much useless", and never tried it again. Maybe if back then I'd been in the habit of keeping the Numeric panel open...
All this time later, in LW 9 Modeler a couple hours ago, for some reason I thought to try Drag Net again, and, lo and behold, adjust the radius and voila, now I get it!
And now I can't seem to stop using it. Go figure.

Anybody else have any LW tools that you just didn't understand, and didn't look into at first, but now can't do without?

StereoMike
01-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Can you point out, what it's good for? I still don't know...

Mike

hrgiger
01-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Dragnet moves the mesh with a radial falloff which you can adjust visually in the viewport. I have found it usable for tweaking small where I dont' want to use drag or select all the points and use move.

hrgiger
01-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, it's not a native Lightwave tool but LWCAD is something that I didn't look into at first, even when we got it free with LW9. But when I did look into it, it was an orgasmic experience (figuratively speaking of course).

I upgraded to 2.0 the day it came out. I've set some money back for v3.

StereoMike
01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I love LWCAD too, updated to 2.1. First I always try things with lwcad, just for the fun of it.

Mike

mj418
01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Haven't tried LW CAD yet, but it's on my Things I Need To Get Around To list.

The cool thing about Drag Net as opposed to regular Drag and selecting a group, is that it almost acts like a localized subpatch - sort of, if there are enough points in the location you're using it on. IMO, much more useful and controllable than the Magnet tool.

Drag Net isn't the greatest thing to use for shaping a model, but it's really cool for creating endomorphs for organic objects. :)

StereoMike
01-07-2007, 02:06 PM
OK, now I know what to do with it. Thing is, I do technical projects and have done very little organic modellng. But when I do, I'll try dragnet.
Thanks!
Mike

Surrealist.
01-07-2007, 09:44 PM
If you do technical stuff then use the drag net tool, set it to something bigger than any of your objects say 10,000M and then you can use it to drag any piece of contiguous gemoetry around without usiung select connected if you have two or more parts in one layer. Click on any vertex and it will only move that piece.

As for organic modeling, this is my #1 tool now.

Here are some examples of taking a primitive object and sculpting it using this tool alone. (right click to expand and contract blue circle interactively)

The first image is the primitive geometry and the rest are made in a matter of a few hours just as examples. The possibilities are limitless.

mj418
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Cool stuff, Richard.

Yeah, I can't believe I've just discovered DragNet, and have been doing without it all this time. My modeling just took a huge leap forward because of this tool and how quickly I can now do things that used to take *alot* longer.

Surrealist.
01-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah, the same exact thing happened to me. In fact, to even more embarassment, it took me using the tool for a few weeks to even realize I could set the size interactively with the mouse! So much to absorb sometimes I think my head is going to burst!

BTW I credit Ben Vost for the idea to use the drag net tool as a way to move contiguous geopmetry in the same layer as in my exaple above.

Interactively, you could just zoom out, right click and make the circle huge, rather then using the N panel.

BeeVee
01-09-2007, 01:50 AM
It's bizarre isn't it, just how many toys we have to play with? :) Thanks for the credit Richard, but you've really taken the ball and run with it - those heads are excellent!

B

oDDity
01-09-2007, 06:38 AM
IF only the magnet tool worked in the same way, with a rmb drag for a resized radial falloff, instead of that cumbersome cube you have to shape. Sometimes you need to drag everything and not just contiguous sections of your mesh.
Another idea is to have a check box in the numeric panel to choose whether you want dragnet to move contiguous verts or everything.

Surrealist.
01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks to you Ben, there have been many things I've learned from your wisdom in fact, come to think of it, though like the many tools we have, I can't remember them all right now. :)

And ODDity, if I understand you correctly, all of the gradient fall off move tools are adjustable with the right mouse button. That would be Radial - Magnet, Point Radial - Dragnet, Linear - Shear.

The same applies to the rotate and transform tools. Bend, Vortex, Taper, etc.

-Though I may not have interpeted what you meant correctly. In anycase ,it is good info for folks to have.

It would be nice to have that button.

But not having that you could set one up on another move tool by simply adusting it to the same type of fall off and enter the large number. But you have to enter the number on every session. At least you'd have it there and all you'd have to do is click. You could even add another button to the menu give it a unique name.

Lottmedia
01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
It's been a while since I've been able to say this, but I agree with Oddity :) The magnet tool is just too cumbersome to use. I hate it because I want to use but every time I do I realize why I don't. (what a statement!) It just isn't intuitive and breaks whatever rhythm I'm in at the moment. Surrealist, while you technically do adjust it with the RMB like Drag Net, it is a completely different feeling because of it's 3D nature (the mystical perspective cube of annoyance, as it were).
Anywho, that's my blurb for the day.

Casey :cat:

Surrealist.
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I see what you mean. I rarely ever use that tool, so in a way I'd say I have to agree. But that said, I think the magnet tool has a specific purpose and used for that purpose I suppose it is the perfect tool. As far as using it, it has never been a problem for me. I don't mind it within the context of its peramiters. The Dragnet tool I find far more versitile, so I use it more often. Using the ctl. key you can restrict it along any of the XYZ so to me there is even less reason to use the Magnet tool. But for a job that might require more precision, who knows... maybe Magnet is the tool of choice.

prometheus
01-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Ahh..what a shame you didnīt find out how to use the dragnet until recently..but better to late than never..

The dragnet tool is my favorite for deforming organic stuff,and its one of those tools i wish Modo could have built in..donĻt really know if theres a way to use the other tools to match that exactly..donīt like the soft move tool in modo...so in some cases I prefer to model up the base in lightwave.

Now..god da it..put in a sculpt tool ..something ala mudbox soft brush...not neccessary to be able to handle that level of high displacements..but at least basic sculpting of polygons,of course simular can be done with endomorphs..but cmon..thats not fast workflow friendly.

dragnet is powerful..and throw in a sculpt tool next..voila..more powerful.

James Edwards
01-13-2007, 09:13 AM
It's called the Tweak tool ('t' key shortcut) and it works better than dragnet - especially when combined with modo's different falloff options, pre-selection highlighting and multi-selection of any geometry type. The 3d tool handles provide extra control as does the Tool properties panel for stuff like connectivity etc. Softmove and Softdrag are outmoded tools left over from LW and they don't really have any use compared to the versatility and great feedback of the tweak tool.

prometheus
01-13-2007, 01:14 PM
It's called the Tweak tool ('t' key shortcut) and it works better than dragnet - especially when combined with modo's different falloff options, pre-selection highlighting and multi-selection of any geometry type. The 3d tool handles provide extra control as does the Tool properties panel for stuff like connectivity etc. Softmove and Softdrag are outmoded tools left over from LW and they don't really have any use compared to the versatility and great feedback of the tweak tool.

what??..tweak tool in modo..wheres that? donīt you mean the element move tool? that one has the shortcut T and that one does not behave like dragnet..
or is the tweak tool hidden somewhere like the dragtool was?

Anyway..think I stand corrected,when I looked into it..it seems to be the soft drag tool in modo that behaves most simular to dragnet.
Donīt like to use the element move tool...for now..guess I have to get use to it thou.

James Edwards
01-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry, you are correct... "Tweak" being a more industry standard term for it since I tend to bounce in and out of other programs that have a Tweak tool too... I tend to just call it the same thing out of laziness.

Mike_RB
01-13-2007, 10:31 PM
It's in the deform tab. Soft Drag, or "tool.set xfrm.softDrag on 0" in the command box.

Mike_RB
01-13-2007, 11:01 PM
modo has all of lwm's tools and falloffs, just some of the names are different.