PDA

View Full Version : need assistance on Decal and chrome

monfoodoo
01-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I can not get these decals to show without the reflection of the chrome coming thru.The wording is uv'd with the grunge and i tried some reflection maps but it's not working out to well.Any thoughts?

Silkrooster
01-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Looks like that label section should not have any reflection at all. So why not give that poly its own surface and turn down or remove the reflection all together?
Silk

SplineGod
01-05-2007, 10:34 PM
create an alpha map of the decal.

monfoodoo
01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
The Decals are to look as if placed over the chrome.as for an alpha,i must be doing something wrong,because it's not working out

monfoodoo
01-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Iended up stenciling polys in and all is well. scott

toby
01-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Creating separate polygons/surfaces is one way, but that's not always practical - you can also put a black & white version of each decal in the reflection channel, black in the area of the decals, so that you're only adding reflection in the other areas. You would also need to add these same b&w maps in the diffuse, spec and other channels, if you wanted those values to be different. It's a pain, but that's what you have to do in cases where you have to get 2 different sufaces out of one.

monfoodoo
01-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I tried that and it didn't work out so well. I'll play around with it on a seperate object tonight.i must have something backwards.there's valve covers that need a sponser decal on them and there subpatched so drilling won't be an option.Thanks for the responses. Scott

toby
01-06-2007, 11:12 PM
It should work well, what people usually do is copy the color texture layer and paste it into the reflection texture, then replace the image with the b&w version. That should do it, unless maybe the image needs to be inverted, but that will be obvious.

btw, both these images should have no alpha, or have it disabled.

monfoodoo
01-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Finally figuered it out.As shown in image. for the surrounding chrome(outside the decal polys,that frt face is split down the center) area i used the same gray maps (minus the decal) to keep the values identical(all maps are set to normal).This may be common knowledge to many but i had to work this out since all else i tried failed. Oh yeah,since this is a test,the subject matter rendered really doesn't matter.

monfoodoo
01-08-2007, 01:35 AM
I forgot this image for the diffuse decal channel.Adjust white value as needed