PDA

View Full Version : Maya2LW and displacement maps?

JGary
01-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a character that's using displacment maps (setup via ver9 displacement node). I want to use Maya2LW so I can rig/animate in Maya and then render in LW. Problem is, I can't find a way to use dispacement maps and Maya2LW together. The MDplug that Maya2LW uses requires you to set the mesh subdivision order to last which kills off any displacement map that is applied to the mesh. Is there any way to do this using Maya2LW or any of the other Maya to Lightwave plugins? (Point Oven, Beaver Project, etc.)

SplineGod
01-07-2007, 03:29 AM
Do you want to add the LW displacement before going to maya or after coming from maya?

JGary
01-07-2007, 02:07 PM
After going to Maya - so I can keep the base cage low-rez

SplineGod
01-07-2007, 03:22 PM
You can metalink a higher rez character to the lower rez mesh exported from Maya to LW as an mdd file. If you use the displacement nodes from the free DP Tool Kit (check flay.com) theres a metalink option available as a node. If you do the metalinking this way you can also add aditioinal displacements on top of the higher rez metalinked object.

JGary
01-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Hmm, ok, I tried the MDD MetaPointer Node but I'm having the same problem. To get any of the various mdd plugins (md plug, md metaplug, mdd metapointer node, etc.) to read a mdd file, I have to set the objects subdivision order to last. Otherwise, I get a mess of scrambled points. To get an image based displacement map to work, I have to set the objects subdivision order to anything OTHER than last. No matter what combination of settings/plugins I try, I can't can't get either these two things to change. So, I get only one or the other to work. Am I missing something?

SplineGod
01-07-2007, 10:11 PM
The object you apply the mdd file to has to be set to last. The object you METALINK to it doesnt. :)

faulknermano
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
try the following setup:

set subdivison order of your mesh to Before Bones.
use (Node) Displacement Map order to Before Local Displacement.

JGary
01-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I think my head is going to explode! Despite the help (Thanks!), I still can't get this working. Can someone please take a look at the attached scene and tell me how to set it up. This is a very simple example of what I'm trying to do. The scene has a BoxCageObject that has a mdd applied to it (currently using mdplug), and a BoxDisplaceObject that has the displacement node set up using an image. How do I use the cage object with the mdd to "drive" the object with the displacement?

faulknermano
01-08-2007, 02:59 AM
check attachment.

note: md_plug's KeyMove parameter must be ON.

faulknermano
01-08-2007, 03:17 AM
so again, to be clear:

set subdivison order of your mesh to Before Bones.
use (Node) Displacement Map order to Before Local Displacement.
set MD_Plug's KeyMove parameter to ON.

JGary
01-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you! Keymove ON fixes the problem. I guess I didn't try EVERY combination!

And here's a note right in the manual that I missed:
Note: When using MD with other displacement plug-ins (which should be loaded afterMD) be sure Key-Move is ON. Motion Designer ignores any plug-ins loaded above MD_Plug.

Thanks again - I was really dreading the possibility of having to do character animation in Lightwave since I haven't used it for that since version 6.

jasonwestmas
04-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm marking this page for later. :)

jasonwestmas
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
You can metalink a higher rez character to the lower rez mesh exported from Maya to LW as an mdd file. If you use the displacement nodes from the free DP Tool Kit (check flay.com) theres a metalink option available as a node. If you do the metalinking this way you can also add aditioinal displacements on top of the higher rez metalinked object.

Does the Sub-Patch Cage have to be identical to the lower rez cage in order for this to work? Just wondering because I don't have a mesh that is quads and so 'sub dividing' the mesh to a higher number of vertexes is my only option.

faulknermano
12-24-2009, 03:50 AM
AFAIK, no. You can use a different cage object; Metalink is essentially a lattice deformer.

jasonwestmas
12-24-2009, 11:25 AM
AFAIK, no. You can use a different cage object; Metalink is essentially a lattice deformer.

Just wondering because I'm trying to drive this subdivided mesh that has many more vertexes with this lower poly mesh. While I can see this metalink modifier working with simpler objects it seems not to know which vertex goes where after increasing the vertex count. As a result I get this bubble gum look to small parts all over the mesh. Is there a way to get more control?

Cageman
12-25-2009, 06:55 AM
The best thing to do in this case is to bring the highres object over to Maya and make it work with either the rig (skining) or make use of the Wrap deformer (which is basicly the same thing as Metalink). It offers more control regarding influence, but is very heavy and ram-intense, depending on how dense your highres object is.

jasonwestmas
12-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the tip Cageman. I found that the mesh>smooth operation divides the polys on Skinned characters and doesn't distort the UVs with the smooth uv option. I then exported the mdd and obj and those worked great in lightwave.

Cageman
12-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the tip Cageman. I found that the mesh>smooth operation divides the polys on Skinned characters and doesn't distort the UVs with the smooth uv option. I then exported the mdd and obj and those worked great in lightwave.

Ah...that is, of course, a good solution as well.

:)