PDA

View Full Version : Particle emitter seamless lightbeam

Otterman
01-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Im trying to render a seamless light beam using a Particle emitter. Problem is, it doesnt seem to be very clean, lil blobby infact. Ive tried playing around with the settings until blood uoozed from my eyes.

Any pointers in resolving this would make my day!

starbase1
01-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Are you refering to the lumps along the tail?

I assume that rather than a beam, you have an emmitter leaving a trail.

In this case the problem is simple - the particles are too far apart, you want them to have considerable overlap even when they have shrink a lot. Therefore increase your particle emmision rate, doubling the rate will halve the distance between particles. Be aware though that large amounts of overlap can slow rendering a lot if you have anything volumetric selected - try and use sprites if at all possible.

Cheers,
Nick

tribbles
01-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Are they moving? If so, try adding a stretch in the velocity direction so you don't need quite so many points.

JBT27
01-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Does it have to be particles or could you use a morph for this. I did some animated curving arrows for some maps recently that are not unlike your light-streak.

Julian.

Otterman
01-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Starbase u octopus brain u, tribbles- gud advise, JBT27- im too far down this road to turn back! Ta for all the suggestions.

By particle emmision rate you mean 'Birth rate' yea? Doubling this seems to thickens the trail by increasing the glow. Gives the illusion of a cleaner flow a lil though!

Ive tweakd various settings and seem to have ironed out some of the bumps by also increasing position blur and vibration in the motion tab. Its better but by no means perfect. Been a real trial and error exercise this one! The only problem is my machine crashed so have to start all over again!

:devil:

Curse and double curse!!!!

starbase1
01-08-2007, 12:16 PM
That is the holy creator, the flying spaghetti monster not an octopus!