PDA

View Full Version : Matte and Lightwave render 2

McFilms
01-05-2007, 02:07 AM
For this one, a few buildings were used from the Dystopia collection via "another board's online store", and all the remaining buildings were created from stock photos and treated in Photoshop CS2. Like the other matte I posted in this gallery, layers are kept apart to allow renders of aircraft and atmospherics to slide in between. I have to admit, that I have known about HDRI for a while, but it is so cost prohibitive (time-wise). Without a doubt, it brings to life any render. Perhaps I could shave off rendering times on the most distant craft by just doing shadow mapping as opposed to ray traced shadows. The shot won't be completed until I have the whole "volumetric light" thing down enough to utilize for some of the ships' lights, and until I can come up with a way to do the atmospherics without loosing my computer use for a week of Sundays....

DogBoy
01-05-2007, 08:15 AM
If you find the render times prohibitive have you tried the lightprobe(?) plugin for HDRShop? It looks at an HDR image and extrapolates lights from it. You export the results as a text file. From that you can use an lscript (by one of NTs Devs) that will generate all the lights in layout. This would cut down render times a bit.

I've not used it myself, but have heard good things about the result.

As for the images, i feel this one works best, as the first one just doesn't gel for me.

McFilms
01-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks very much for the input and comments!

McFilms
01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I wonder if there is an equivalent of Lightgen (HDRShop plugin) for Photoshop CS2, but then how to translate that into Lightwave (on a Mac running OS X). I suppose I could just guess, place lights, render, then adjust...

DogBoy
01-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Doh! Lightgen, yup that is exactly the plugin I meant :bowdown: . Arnie Cachelin at NT did the Lightgen to LW script (lightgen2lw.ls). As it is a lscript should it not be platform independant? I've not used Mac LW I'm afraid, so I wouldn't know.

Is HDRShop PC only? If so, I'd be happy to convert a file if you wanna try this out (and the script works on Mac).

That will teach me to post when I'm away from my main box (which has the bookmarks for when I have time to try this stuff out :o ).

DogBoy
01-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Oops, HDRShop is pc only.

McFilms
01-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Wow, what a cool offer! I accept!!!
Assuming the text file created has parameters that I can easily identify and edit within a text editor, like rgb levels, gamma, etc., then theoretically I could take the one conversion and adapt it to other setups as well. ****, I could even do as T-Light says, shoot a sampling on the set, and then extrapolate hot spots and rgb settings through PSCS2, then edit the text files. Hmmm:question:

I downloaded the lscript from Flay (both versions). Do you know if the version for LW7 should be used? (I'm on LW9)

McFilms
01-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, bummer eh? Before getting Photoshop CS2, I had to open hdr files using Photosphere. You know, I didn't check the manual to see if OpenEXR formats could be imported into LW9, but since the Lscript is specific to lightgen, I guess it doesn't matter.

DogBoy
01-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Well EXRTrader will let you use OpenEXR in LW (the free version that is), You just don't get all the extra coolness like VIPER support or Buffer export. But for the money they're asking for it, I'd just buy it.

I'd guess the version should be fine, lights haven't changed much since then ;)