PDA

View Full Version : Do bones save with an object or scene?

MysteryMonkey
01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Using LightWave 9.0 on a MacBook Pro, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, I made a simple humanoid figure in Modeler. I saved it and then opened it in Layout. I added bones to the figure and then saved the scene and all objects. I close the scene and then make a new scene in Layout. I then load the previous humaniod figure expecting that it will come in with all the bones in place but I do not see a single one. I turned on Bone X-ray but nothing shows up. I close this scene and go back and reopen the first scene I made in which I added the bones to the figure and all the bones are visible.

Something seems wrong. Don't the bones save with the object? It would be a great inconvenience to have to add a new skeleton every time I want to use an object in a new scene. Where are they going? I have tried to save the Hierarachy but every time I do I CRASH.

Anybody know whats going on and how to correct it?

Thank you,

Kim

Tank
01-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Skelegons save with the object. Bones save with the scene.

Scazzino
01-04-2007, 02:17 PM
It would be a great inconvenience to have to add a new skeleton every time I want to use an object in a new scene.

You need to use load from scene to load the object with bones from one scene into another.

Sarford
01-04-2007, 05:42 PM
You need to use load from scene to load the object with bones from one scene into another.

Does this also import the IK and FK setup you made to that character and rig? And all the different limitations you have set? And all dynamics and all expressions?

Would be cool if you could save out just a rig with all limitations, dynamics and expressions attached. Then use that rig on other characters. Just load it, scale it, link it and you can start animating.

MysteryMonkey
01-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks! That works great. I knew it had to be operator error. It will take a while, but I'll get used to LightWave eventually.

One thing really surprised me though. I had been working on a walk cycle using the figure, and when I wanted to try out your suggestion and loaded it into another scene the cycle came in with it. Surprising, but nice to know.

Thanks again for everyones help

Kim

toby
01-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Does this also import the IK and FK setup you made to that character and rig? And all the different limitations you have set? And all dynamics and all expressions?

Would be cool if you could save out just a rig with all limitations, dynamics and expressions attached. Then use that rig on other characters. Just load it, scale it, link it and you can start animating.
Yea it loads all that stuff. You have to be careful with expressions in load-from-scene rigs, they can multiply just like the Scene Editor plugin used to, and soon you'll have a thousand copies of the same expression, and a 50mb scene file.

Sarford
01-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Thanks Toby, this is good news :)

dsol
01-09-2007, 05:49 AM

You've just remnded me of one of my favorite rant subjects - Encapsulation. I'd absolutely LOVE it if LW allowed you to load in LW scenes into other scenes as encapsulated components - with any changes made to these components (embedded mini scenes) saved as offsets and modifiers in the master scene file. It'd make working with complex scenes much more manageable with a cleaner hierachy.
Bonus points if scenes can be saved including the geometry in the file (or managed in such a way to make this seem the case)

toby
01-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Check out Jezza's Reference Motion LScripts, it's a start!
http://jeremy.lwidof.net/lscript/