PDA

View Full Version : Battery life

lesterfoster
01-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Battery life

Hi
I am asking this question on behalf of a very good friend of mine.

I am helping a friend of mine to learn how to use his new laptop computer. He has had it for about a month now. He seems to be enjoying it so far.

He is getting good now at surfing the Internet and e-mails. I am trying to help him with doing graphics, but he is not taking to it like he is with e-mails. His background is in graphics, the old fashion way. So I know that he is going to get the hang of doing graphics with the computer sooner or later.

How ever. He asked me today. “How long should the batteries last in his new laptop?..” I told him that I do not know as I have not owned a laptop for several years now.

So I am wondering the same thing for my self. How long should a battery last in a laptop?

ted
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
It varies from model to model. I can count on at least 3-4 hours as long as I'm not playing DVD's and such. I’ve had a 2 hour DVD play through, but I think the battery was getting weak if I remember right.
Don't forget to tell him good battery maintenence can add to the life too. Depends on battery type also.
I’ve only let mine die a time or two in nearly 2 years.

Bog
01-04-2007, 04:52 AM
My HP Pavillion zd8124's battery lasts about 90 minutes in "Serious Use" mode. That's been about standard for my last couple of laptops.

Then again, I buy beasts, which are more notable for their plethora of huge fans and desktop-type CPUs rather than svelte little executive notebooks.

Bloody funny if someone tries to nick one - the bag and their shoulder act as the pivots of Foucault's pendulum as they faceplant from the unexpected weight. Hur hur hur... :D

MiniFireDragon
01-04-2007, 08:02 AM
The battery life depends on the hardware in the machine. A high end laptop will prolly get you at most an hour and a half, while a smaller, email only laptop might last you several hours.

Then there is the life of the battery itself. Most I've seen have a good charge holding of maybe 9 months to a year before the time they last begin to degrade over the next few years. Keeping with good power cycling you can extand the battery life even longer. Unfortunately there are several different battery types on the market, and each have there own ways of power cycling. For instance, some can't be fully discharged or they lose there memory, where some need the fully discharged state.

lesterfoster
01-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Happy Birthday Wally... My friends name who I started this thread on behalf of, is Wally. I have known Wally for over 25 years now. Today is his birthday.

He misplaced his power supply the other day. So he ran his new laptop off of the battery. And it lasted 1.5 hours. So he asked me that question.

How long should my laptop last on the battery.??

He found his power supply today. He is now up and running again.

This is quite ironic. What me and Wally did,_-< on MY birthday >-, was, I helped him buy his new laptop.

Happy Birthday Wally.

Thanks NewTEK and the community.

WhiteBoy
01-05-2007, 02:23 AM
The battery in my HP CoreDuo lasts about 2 hours or more even playing DVD's. I try to use the battery as little as possible, just to keep it healthy for when I really need it, but when I do use it, I usually let it completely drain. This might seem counterintuitive, but most manufacturers actually suggest this to maximize the battery's life. You don't necessarily need to drain it every time you use it, but you should do it at least once a month to be safe.

Of course, this also depends on the type of battery you have too...