PDA

View Full Version : Bone Tools Difficulties

G3D
01-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Anyone know the correct way to use bone tools? Maybe I am expecting too much from them, not sure.
Example: Bone Twist: I hit Control-K and see the controler allowing me to twist bone to desired angle. Sometimes the setting I give it will "take" correctly; other times it won't work at all. (Like now, when I need to use it)
Can you use it only once and after the first use, bones can no longer be twisted? I'm using the Bone Tools on the PC with LW 9. (They don't work at all on the Mac, and never have in any version of LW that I've used)

G3D
01-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Anyone?

Surrealist.
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, it has been far too long since I really worked with these tools. I know that I went through the manual on it last year so I do know that they work but that there were some things that did not work exactly right on my system. I never got a good answer on it. I would say check back with the manual and make sure you are doing everything right. Then, it just may be a quirk on your system - as parts of it were for me. It also is connected to the bone edit mode I believe.

Also if you describe what you are trying to do their might be a better solution.

Wonderpup
01-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I used to hit shift p ( record pivot rotation) to get the bone twist tool to 'stick'

But this has other implications, for example, targeting and rpr don't get on very well.

I think the bone twist tool is not meant to be used directly on the bone you are twisting- you are meant to use it on the parent of the bone you are twisting- or something like that. Like a lot of Lightwave CA tools there is a twilight zone here that I have never fully penetrated.

spec24
01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
it does have something stupid to do with the parent bone but this is not laid out in the online help - quite possibly it's in the manual but I've never gotten it to work quite right - maybe once. Tools this important shouldn't be so cryptic! Also no numeric input, just have to guess.

Surrealist.
01-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah, that's why I prefer to use other tools/methods for rigging. I highly recoment Timoty Albee's book, Character Animation for rigging methods that are rock solid.

G3D
01-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I tried everything that the previous posters suggested; nothing will work.
I think I'll have to write off the bone tools. Can't get predictable results
at all. Half of the tools make LW crash on both the Mac and the PC, so its not
only a Mac issue.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Phil
01-17-2007, 12:39 AM
File content with bug reports, describing exactly what you are doing, to [email protected] It's the only way to be confident that the problems you are seeing get dealt with.

SplineGod
01-17-2007, 11:19 PM
The bone tools have generally worked as predicted for me.
The bone twist tool works the same in layout as the bank handles work with skelegons in modeler. Using the twist tool on a bone adjust the pitch for its CHILD because LWs coord system is parent based.
To use the bone twist tool locally, use the twist tool on the current bone and then hit shift + p (record pivot rotation).

Using RPR can cause issues with LW expressions and targetting. Relativity targetting and expressions seem to work fine with them.

The bone tools DVD that I have explains the bone tools in great detail and I even show how to use the twist tool on a complicated bone skelegon setup converted to bones.