PDA

View Full Version : LW9.0 all of a sudden can't find the dongle?

eidetiken
01-03-2007, 03:09 AM
I loaded the LW9.2 beta, found it didn't work, and reverted back to using LW9.0

But now neither LW8.5 or LW9.0 can find the dongle when scanning. I uninstalled ALL LW files (I mean ALL files, including prefs, plist, receipts, eve and so on) and reinstalled LW9.0 from a clean download. It still can't find the dongle when scanning.

I have the purple dongle, which isn't supposed to have problems.

I've tried the dongle in all 5 of my USB ports and no go.

Chilton
01-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi Eidetiken,

Look in your /Library/Frameworks/ folder and make sure your Eve3.framework folder is still there.

Also, you can use System Profiler to see if your Mac's hardware can see the dongle. Open 'About this Mac' under the Apple menu and click the 'more info...' button. From there, click on the USB line on the left. That should tell you.

If it can't see the dongle, you might try restarting your Mac, or moving the
dongle to another USB port.

-Chilton

eidetiken
01-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Chilton

I did all that before I posted. It shows up as Safenet Inc. in all 5 USB ports on my Intel iMac. Eve, Sentinel and SuperPro32 are all in my frameworks.

But the registration wizard can no longer find the dongle when scanning for it.

John the Geek
01-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Can you try another Mac? Just to verify the device is still working. Otherwise, hmm... that is tough.

Can you pull all other USB devices on the machine (except for the Apple mouse/keyboard combo) to verify it's not a device conflict? Did you recently add a scanner? That sort of thing.

=)

eidetiken
01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
NewTek gave me an RMA on the dongle. It failed on two seperate macs. Strange. Didn't think the purple dongle had any problems. I haven't had any problems with it for the past year, until I loaded up the 9.2 beta. Won't load up another beta unless its a UB beta.

I didn't really mind having a dongle, until now. Having to send in a dongle at my own cost, overnight, and wait for it to be replaced and shipped back to me is costing me money in downtime as well. Wouldn't have this problem if NewTek had a better registration system like every other program I have. Getting rid of the dongle all together would save NewTek money as well. Dongles do not stop hackers. Yes, having down time because of a dongle is irritating me.

Where is the UB?