PDA

View Full Version : Textures not saves in Layout??

alvin_cgi
01-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi, I have a problem with LW layout, every changes on surface editor(textures or clours), it won't save? Unless I do it those changes in Modeler, what happen!? I'm pretty sure either modeler or layout should saved changes and updates automatically... but now I have to do it in layout and save the presets than go to modeler, updates changes and come back to layout... can someone tell me how to fix this problem, please...:help:

nils
01-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Yes, that did confuse me quite a bit when I started learning...

Scene files (.lws) and object files (.lwo) are saved separately. All surface properties are saved with the object files. And that's your problem:

When you work with the surface editor you change the objects, not the scene. Even if you use LW Layout. If you save in layout, only the scene file gets written. The object files containing anything surface related are not being saved.

BUT

if you look at the file button under save, you'll find all sorts of save options. The second group has a bunch of commands that let you save objects. I use "save all objects" quite frequently so I assigned shift-S as a shortcut. That way I can hit s and Shift-S and everything including objects and the scene is saved.

Just remember, just saving the scene won't save any changes on the objects, you have to save them separately.

I hope that helps!
nils

alvin_cgi
01-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks Nils, I will try that:)

I am sure it was only "save" and save once, and everthing includes textures or object changes in both Layout and Modeler, updates both through Hub spontaneously... perhaps it has changed in 9?

Yog
01-03-2007, 04:54 PM
This has cropped up so many times in the last ten or so years (almost weekly) that I can't believe that Newtek haven't added a prompt to the standard save scene option that asks if you want to save modelling changes if anything modelling related ( i.e. textures) has changed.

Of course this would be academic if it were a combined app :thumbsup:

tribbles
01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Nils - I had no idea about that - I've been using the hub (yes, it works for me!) to do texture changes, but now I know what to do - thanks!

Edited to add: I did know that save only did the layout stuff, and not modelling - I didn't know that you could save all!