PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Wires

Bladewing51
01-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi ya'll, I'm trying to create a line of wires, the wires themselves need to contor to the surface which is flat but makes many 90 degree turns. My question is what is the best way to make realistic looking wires, I've googled it and got plenty of topics about wire frames but not how to make wires. I've been experimenting with making a disk and just putting lots of turns in it but it doesn't look exactly right and I get into a mess with it sometimes, is there an easier way.:help:

Lewis
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi !

You can make wires with Splines (bezier or draw spline) and then use standard LW's rail extrude or even better use FREE "C-worm" plugin to make wires from splines.

tribbles
01-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I used LWCAD's line/arc tools, and then its poly profile tool to do railings and rigging on a ship (but that was only because I had it with my LW9 upgrade :) ).

Bladewing51
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Just a quick question because my experience with spline and the bezier tool is very limited at best, what would be my best approch in using the tool in this application, I have LW10...I think.

monfoodoo
01-02-2007, 06:38 PM
I would use "ROPE EDITOR",the ultimate for what you want to do.And it does twisted wire.pipe ,cable etc.

lesterfoster
01-02-2007, 09:05 PM
My number #1 choice I would use what mofoodoo has suggested. My number #2 choice would be what Lewis has suggested.

But what tribbles has suggested looks quite interesting to me. It is something that I need to look into some more, just fore my satisfaction.

I have LW10...I think.
How did you get LW-10?? I would like to try that my self.!!

colkai
01-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Pictrix C_Worm is another little beaut for this sorta thing. :)

Lewis
01-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Rope Editor is not FREE if i'm not mistaken ? C-worm also can bend and twist in real time so it's very nice for this task.

colkai
01-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Actually, I think the full version of C_Worm is a paid plugin too, but as I recall, dirt cheap.

(Edit: Indeed, only $20 - a steal really, Rope is around $50 I think ).

DiedonD
01-03-2007, 05:42 AM
I have LW10...I think.

You have LW10!!!! Wooooow.... I dont think Im ready for that kind of upgrade yet, could you tell us whats new on this latest upgrade?? Perhaps Ill be willing to join in later on .... :D

Have they made all the neccessary arangmenets for it to support Virtual Gloves? Are the characters posing on each keyframe by shear reading of mind technology? Please tell us more from the future :D

Lewis
01-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Actually, I think the full version of C_Worm is a paid plugin too, but as I recall, dirt cheap.

(Edit: Indeed, only $20 - a steal really, Rope is around $50 I think ).

AFAIk there is Older version of C_worm which is FREE, works like charm for long time on my machine :).

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/C_WormLt/index.html

Bladewing51
01-04-2007, 10:49 PM
cool thanks all these are the exterior detail finishing touches so they are what I think is the most important to give life the the model. Like I said before I'm gonna experiment with the different tecniques and plugins to get te best effect. thanks all.

Signal to Noise
01-05-2007, 11:07 AM
My number one choice would be to have a built-in Renderable Splines with an editable thickness modifier utility a la 3ds max. :p