PDA

View Full Version : Can you remove Surfaces in the modeler ?

ZWF_BES
01-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Hello,

i am new here and quite new to Lightwave. Now i have done a model and found i created some surfaces while toying around with some function.

My problem now is: the model is for a game and should only have the surfaces in it, it really needs.
Is there any way to remove a surface, once you have created it ?
Please let me know if it is not, too, so i can stop trying exotic key combinations while clicking on the surfaces.

Thanks for help

tribbles
01-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, surfaces should become removed if you aren't using them, and if you re-load the model back in - if they're still there, then that normally means you're still using them somewhere.

So: Save your current model and then re-load it (if that fails, close Modeler and re-open it).

hrgiger
01-02-2007, 08:23 AM
You can only remove surfaces by creating a new surface out of the old. As tribbles said, once you save your model, the next time you load it into modeler, the old surface will be gone.

ZWF_BES
01-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Hello,

thanks ! It actually worked the way you told me !

I would prefer a more active way, but anyway i can do now what is recommended.

Great to get good advice and that fast !

tribbles
01-02-2007, 09:53 AM
No problem - it's a reasonbly quiet day at work for me :)

Lewis
01-02-2007, 02:19 PM
There is some free plugin to flush unused surfaces but i can't remember it's name now :(. Try to search on FLAY.com.

Sensei
01-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Lewis, it's on our website http://www.trueart.eu :)

jin choung
01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
and what a valuable plugin that is too sensei! thanks!

yah, the inability to do this is kinda prehistoric but alas, that's the way it is - linked to the fact that it is impossible for a surface (material) to exist apart from an object.... but still not a necessary limitation. they should really build in a flush unused surfaces thing. but in the meantime, sensei's plugin does the trick.

jin

Silkrooster
01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I thought I read somewheres that an older version did have a flush button.
Silk

jin choung
01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
been a user since version 5... not that i know of.

jin

p.s. that's not a boast or nothin'... lots of folks around here go back to the amiga toaster days....

ZWF_BES
01-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Hello,

thanks everybody, now i can activly erase unneeded data !

Seems much in LW is solved by small plugins, should browse for some when the next trouble lies ahead...

MiniFireDragon
01-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Actually, I rather like it this way. Helps me from making a stupid mistake that could cost hours of work.

Let me give you a for instance. Lets say you're working late in the evening throughing out surfaces here and there. You decide you need to change the way the surface looks a little bit, so you duplicate it and tweak it and change the surface. Save out and continue, but needing to keep that surface in memory as a template. It's safely there until you close the application. Now if the surface would just disappeare because it wasn't on the model, well, you know how it is when you lose hours of work. Even with a flush button, I prolly click it absentmindedly to get rid of some other surfaces not remembering I had one saved.

Ok, out of the daydream and back to work I go.

SplineGod
01-03-2007, 09:20 AM
There used to be a flush unused surfaces button...oh well :)

sculptactive
01-05-2007, 02:55 AM
It's one of those things that once you know you get used to it, but when your a newbie you can spend hours if not days trying to figure out how to delete them.