PDA

View Full Version : have i missed something?

thephlapbadhu
01-02-2007, 06:01 AM
hi
im a complete lw/3d newbie and am trying to not be one:)
i have just create 2 objects and sent to layout, set the camera up, positioned the lights, posed the object for a render and then all of the objects (inlc camera and lights) get reset and i get a perspective render. i have saved all objects in layout so i cannot get my head around why hitting render re-sets everything
am i special, lcuky or a complete plank? have i missed something please?

Thomas
01-02-2007, 06:09 AM
You need to set a keyframe for each object after you position it, otherwise it snaps back to it's "last" keyframed position, frame 0.

Or, you could turn on the button "Auto Keyframe" at the bottom of the interface.

And yes, you are special! ;)

Regards
Thomas

thephlapbadhu
01-02-2007, 06:23 AM
the problem of the past hour sorted in seconds
always nice to have it confirmed i'm special though- many thanks :)

UnCommonGrafx
01-02-2007, 08:27 AM
The manual is a friend, not an enemy.

thephlapbadhu
01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
it may be- but tech forums are usally a much quicker and more efficient one:)

UnCommonGrafx
01-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Actually not. At some point the pattern that is exhibited by asking some of the more mundane, i.e., obviously in the front of the manual, kinds of questions will get you less and less detailed answers.

Truly I don't suggest it to you for my benefit but solely for your own. That you choose not to belies your motivation to learn this stuff. Good luck.

thephlapbadhu
01-02-2007, 01:45 PM
i agree that some experienced users might get a bit jaded about repetitive questions but the same people put people off joining a community.

im grateful that someone took the time to answer my question- this gave me the information i needed there and then- in simple terms to carry on exploring LW.

i'm working through the modeller manual atm and got a bit ahead of myself playing about with rendering. the answer to my question may well be in the front of the surfacing and rendering manual (well- its not as i just had a quick look) but im not onto that one yet. btw i have done some simple renders before and didn't encounter the problem i had today so i must have done something different- and i did because i turned off 'auto keyframe'.

thank you for your inspiration and do not feel that you should ever need trouble yourself with my menial posts (the answer to which will probably be in one of three exhaustive manuals written for the enlightened user)

UnCommonGrafx
01-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Some questions can't be answered in the manual, that's for sure. One was shared the other day and I'll share it here, as given by Larry Schultz over at Spinquad on the topic of copying keyframes in the graph editor:

Actually you can. Make sure that both curves you want to deal with are selected in the channel bin. Select the keys on curve 1 you wish to copy. Hold the ctrl key down and the RMB and move the cursor over curve 2. You should see a little marker appear. Let go of the mouse button and the keys will be copied.

Have a look at the thread here:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170592#post170592

If it intrigues me, I shall bother.

{As opposed to a smart-arsed answer an, "I'm slogging through that dog now but am in the modeler book now." would have sufficed. That kind of enthusiasm is easily understood. You take care.}

Wonderpup
01-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Search is also underused on forums- it's always worth a go as the chances are someone else has already run into your issue before.

thephlapbadhu
01-02-2007, 04:16 PM
oops- i didn't notice a search option, thanks
will try that next time, which im sure there will be in the next 24hrs :)