PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric issue

CrazyMerlin
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey people!

I was wondering if someone can help me with a little volumetric issue I'm having.

In the pic here, I have to top light as a volumetric, but I was wondering if there is a way to stop the hard edge you can see at the end of the light cone?

I know I could do this post-process, but I was wondering if there is a way to do it in LW. I use LW9 btw.

Thanks for any help, and if anyone has any tips about underwater scenes feel free to add them...this is my first underwater scene.

oops, I just noticed my light has streaks....lmao!
TIA

//erlin!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/gotcha_crazy/2006/1st_render_w_raytrace.jpg

starbase1
01-02-2007, 06:59 AM
I'd suggest a couple of things.

First of all, increase the soft edge angle. This will make the sides less sharp.

Secondly, try different fallof with distance - I think you can probably get something better if you try a few different options.

Thirdly I would suggest adding a texture to the light- and probably one that uses global coordinates - i.e. that is not tied to the light itself. That way when you animate it will give the impression of the light moving through murk. You can also flatten the texture on the horizontal plane, and not have the texture rotate when your sub banks.

Nick

Edbittner
01-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Or, you could do the old "cone with edge transparency" trick. Cone attached to light, ramp up luminosity, add edge transparency. Render friendly, and you can still add texture.
E.

toby
01-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Also, use fog set to 'use background color' with a background gradient to simulate water that's not so crystal - clear.