PDA

View Full Version : Position scene in Layout or Modeler?

Johnny
01-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I have always arranged things (objects) in Modeler first, then used Layout for the rendering and animating. but Layout makes it easier to see relationships better for me, especially with the help of fPrime.

So, I'm wondering if that isn't the way to go: create models in modeler, and use Layout to arrange them in the positions I like.

the downside I can see is, if the Layout scene becomes corrupt, all that work goes down the drain.

is there a way to protect myself from that? like, maybe using Version Save after every little change?

thanks!

J

UnCommonGrafx
01-01-2007, 09:30 PM
That's probably the best of ways.

I came from a program where one set up everything in the modelling portion so that the relationships could be seen and it was pretty smooth. The difference, though, is that objects were built around a pivot point while lw objects focus on the 'center of the universe' as a pivot point unless you move it.
Having said all that to say: if pivot points aren't important, position everything in modeler; if they are, grab one of the excellent plugs from dstorm that will let you center the pivot on the volume of an object, a poly or a point. With that plugin I've been able to go back to my 20 year old habit of building around the pivot point. ;)

Ha, who am I kidding! I did adopt to the center of the universe thing. But this may be of help to you.

Silkrooster
01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
What I like to do is create each object and position it in modeler that way I can see if the next object is being modeled approximately the correct scale.
By placing each object on its own layer, layout thinks each object is its own, so they can be moved, scaled etc. seperately.
I think it more or less the mood I am in on whether they are seperate objects or all done as layers. The problem is placing all objects in modeler for layout, the file size becomes quite large, plus if the lwo file become corrupt, that is a lot of objects to recreate rather than one object to create.
Silk

joao
01-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Its much easier to do everything in modeler.... for the simple reason that most times you are placing and making changes to the models at the same time. You also have the extra tools and layers that help you place your objects accurately.
Having said that.... the only time i use layout to place objects is when i want to use the clone tool which is ridiculously usefull: if you ever need to do changes to the object that's been cloned 100 times, layout will automatically update the scene. This is totally diferent to the simple clone tools in modeler.
And now... I'll take this chance to ask for something noone has ever asked for in Lightwave - layout tools in modeler. The consensus seems to be everyone wants modeler tools available in layout (something i fail to see the real use for). Much more usefull would be the ability to be able to do quick test renders while modelling in modeler rather than having to send the file to layout everytime you want to see how your objects handle the lights, etc.....
just a thought.

happy new year! joao

UnCommonGrafx
01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
If you have fprime, you kinda have this functionality. Nonetheless, I concur: it would be quite useful.

Much more usefull would be the ability to be able to do quick test renders while modelling in modeler rather than having to send the file to layout everytime you want to see how your objects handle the lights, etc.....
just a thought.

happy new year! joao