PDA

View Full Version : Position scene in Layout or Modeler?

Johnny
01-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I have always arranged things (objects) in Modeler first, then used Layout for the rendering and animating. but Layout makes it easier to see relationships better for me, especially with the help of fPrime.

So, I'm wondering if that isn't the way to go: create models in modeler, and use Layout to arrange them in the positions I like.

the downside I can see is, if the Layout scene becomes corrupt, all that work goes down the drain.

is there a way to protect myself from that? like, maybe using Version Save after every little change?

thanks!

J

Sarford
01-04-2007, 03:26 AM
shift-S is your friend

JBT27
01-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Shift-S for sure during any piece of work.

But for general layout it has to depend entirely on what you are doing. If I'm building a town or landscape, everything is laid out in Modeler, often in a master object file with alot of layers, from which I then make individual object files for use in the master scene file. I find that cleaner and easier to work with.

Character work, I guess, may be very different, but we don't do alot of that, if any. But there, in the case of general crowds on streets type-of-thing, I would still do layout in Modeler.

I usually start with an outline plan in Modeler, key ground surfaces, slopes, etc., and position from there.

But....each to his/her own, as they say!

Julian.

JBT27
01-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Sorry, I just noticed there's an earlier copy of this thread with more responses.

Julian.