PDA

View Full Version : EPSF Loader - format error

Surrealist.
01-01-2007, 01:54 PM
I am saving a file from Photoshop as a .eps file to load into modeler using the EPSF import tool. I am getting an error message stating it is an unknown file format.

I am using the default settings in PS to save and have tried a few other options but no luck. Honestly I don't have a clue. Any help with PS settings or any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

tribbles
01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
I thought the EPSF loader was really to do with reading outline information, rather than bitmap - i.e. stuff that Illustrator would do, rather than Photoshop (although I believe PS can export selection outlines as .AI/.EPS file)

I could be wrong though.

avkills
01-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Tribbles is correct. The EPSF loader for LW is strictly for *real* EPS files like the ones created by Illustrator. I use this tool a ton for doing logo stuff. And 99% of the time you need to edit the EPS file in Illustrator and break things into separate files to manage them good in LW.

What are you trying to do specifically?

-mark

Surrealist.
01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Tribbles is correct. The EPSF loader for LW is strictly for *real* EPS files like the ones created by Illustrator. I use this tool a ton for doing logo stuff. And 99% of the time you need to edit the EPS file in Illustrator and break things into separate files to manage them good in LW.

What are you trying to do specifically?

-mark

OK that explains it then. Photoshop must not export a "real" EPS file - whatever that is.:)

The manual states this:

The EPSF_Loader command (File > Import > EPSF Loader) converts Illustrator (.ai) and encapsulated PostScript (.eps) files into two-dimensional LightWave objects, by converting bezier curves into tessellated polygons.

So I was led to believe that if photoshop exports the EPS file that would work.

What I was trying to do - as an experiment - was to get it to work to create text in PS and export it to LW so I can create a text object. For no particular reason other than to get it to work.

After looking at your responses I got the idea to Export paths to .ai from photoshop. What I did was selected Layer/Type/Create Path. Then I chose File/Export paths to Illuistrator. That creates a .ai file. That works. But for purely creating text it is somehat unecessary as I can do that in Modeler.

Unfortunately what I really wanted to be able to do was to convert 2D shapes or black and white images to an eps file and import that as an object. Something I have wanted to do for a while.

What would be the alternative method to do this? I know there used to be a program that would convert bitmaps to 2D objects (on the Amiga). I am sure that there are programs that do that now. But it was my assumption that this import EPS function would inable you to use PS to do it.

tribbles
01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Ahh - Photoshop is probably exporting it as a bitmap encapsulated within an EPS file, rather than the outlines - doing the "export paths" option would create a set of bezier curves.

In order to convert a bitmap, you'll probably have to use the magic wand and select the various colours individually.

I use Xara Xtreme (http://www.xara.com) a lot, and that has the capability of tracing outlines around bitmaps and creating vector graphics from that.

Surrealist.
01-01-2007, 08:14 PM
OK, great. Thanks for the tips. Coverting a selection to a path in PS is the ticket. That works.

Much appreciated!