PDA

View Full Version : unwanted poly

GabbyAbby
01-01-2007, 03:59 AM
HI,

I am trying to build a house. When I subtract the boxes to create the openings for the windows, I get this solid triangle in one of the window openings. How can I prevent this? Thanks for the help.
http://www.craftersontheweb.com/Image3.jpg

Fizzer
01-01-2007, 04:31 AM
Click on the triangle to select it. Press "f" it may well be facing the wrong way.

GabbyAbby
01-01-2007, 05:32 AM
For some reason I can't click on it. However, it does appear that it is part of the inside surface of the building.

gerry_g
01-01-2007, 05:40 AM
This looks like a rendering error caused by having insufficient geometry to describe the wall section with cut out, divide the ngon that forms this poly by using the 'connect' tool. select the top right vert of the opening and the far top right vet of the wall and hit return to connect them.

Dodgy
01-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Or select the whole poly and triangulate it (press 't') as looks like it's become degenerate in some fashion. Try that.

tribbles
01-01-2007, 06:56 AM
I've seen this effect in two places:

1) n-gon not quite cut correctly

2) non-planar poly, with one point very slightly out.

The way I fix it (which is not necessarily the easiest, mind), is to remove the polys, merge near points, and then re-do it with my own polys (I think this gives a better result).

gerry_g
01-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Tripling is overkill and indiscriminate too, a controlled division is far better, one other thing I forgot to add and that is when ever you do a Boolean operation you should do a merge points ('M' on the keyboard) as unwelded points can often exhibit similar behavior to what you are seeing, Booleans make a mess and require some degree of cleaning up afterwards

hrgiger
01-01-2007, 11:17 AM
This happens frequently when I'm doing booleans. You'll either want to use the add edges tool around the area to define it, or sometimes just taking a quick cut through the area with the knife tool can be a quick fix.

GabbyAbby
01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone. I used the knife tool to cut through the area and the triangle poly was gone. I still don't know why I got the triangle in the first place. I used the same poly in the background to cut the first window and it was fine. When I merged points and moved the poly to the next location and boolean again, I got the triangle in that window. Any ideas for the new guy? Thanks again.

toby
01-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Don't worry about it, it's not uncommon when you try to put holes in geometry, it's nothing you did wrong.

colkai
01-02-2007, 03:17 AM
A lot of the time, it's purely an OGL thing, if you render it, does it show up? (likely, no).
If you have LWCAD, you can use the fix polygon tool, or better yet, the 'conex poly' it's great for just this sort if thing. :)