PDA

View Full Version : The Time Machine

McFilms
12-31-2006, 11:44 PM
I pulled this away from being a submission from the CGSphere thingy, but thought I might post it here since it is a result of working almost entirely within Lightwave's Modeler and Layout. The teachings of Splinegod, Celshader, and the like are what enabled me to do this. I don't need a rating system to tell me that individuals who post here and on other CG boards are better than I, as I would readily confess that fact.

The only outside software used was Poser 6, and only to export the "business man with hair" as a Lightwave object. Upon his import into Modeler, I moved mesh and points around to recreate the main character's hair, facial features, and made adjustments to the shirt collar and overall textures to fit the period. Everything else is not ZBrush, or Modo, it's pure Lightwave.

I do still need to learn more about the rendering side of things. No matter how well you build things, they can still potentially look like garbage if the right settings are not used. Like most things, in time, in time...

SplineGod
01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Looks cool, glad to have helped :)

hrgiger
01-01-2007, 11:14 AM
So you didn't submit this to CGSphere? If you didn't I think you should, it's better then many of the ones I've seen there.

McFilms
01-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Splinegod, you did, in major ways. You da man!

HRGiger, thanks for the comment. It was a submission, but I pulled it.

This is what I've been telling folks:

"... As silly as it may sound, I don't "CG" with the intention of landing a gig doing it. I do it because I couldn't get a decent budget for my Indie Film project. I could not hire people who do this for a living. I felt that my intrusion upon an arena, where folks need to be seen to get hired, was selfish (on my part). There wasn't any soul who posted there who did not show that they should be recognized and hired as a CG Artist (there are so many levels where you can utilize talent, large or small)..."

So, I pulled it. I did get great exercise on the Modeler though. And I discovered a great sense of what needs to be done just to organize a project. Either way, it was an entertaining and learning experience.

Besides, what input I need(ed) to do my stuff I already get on most of these CG boards, whether I post renderings or not.

SplineGod
01-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks! Id still leave your post up there. It looks great :)

pixeltek
01-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Hey, they may be better now, but from the looks of this fine render, not for long :-).

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com

McFilms
01-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Thanks very much for the kind words, pixeltek!
BTW, I dig your avatar! The vehicle(s) for the first privately funded and flown venture into space. That's just the coolest thing on or off the planet!!!:)

Mrjack
01-10-2007, 05:25 AM
Exelent work man..... i think if you work a lil bit lighting the result must be exelent good luck

McFilms
01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I agree Mrjack. Between the radiosity and caustics, this one was a bear that still isn't tame. Thanks for the input and encouragement!

Mrjack
01-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Hello Mcfilm can you post a new pic's from your project i realy apreciate it thanks...