PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Ver. 9 or FPrime

fireryan
12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm new to using LW and a beginner at 3d modeling. I have ver. 8.5 and can only justify spending about $400 for now on software upgrades.

Do I spend it on ver. 9 upgrade or get Fprime and use existing 8.5. I want to get both but can't do it at this time.

It seems that Fprime is almost a must with Lightwave. Is it still used in version 9 workflow or is Viper useful now in version 9?

Thanks

hrgiger
12-31-2006, 07:58 AM
I would definately go with ver 9. Right now is a good time to get on because it sounds like the beta will end soon and there are some good enhancements that you will get with version 9 that will make your workflow much easier. Also, there will probably be several more updates through the 9.x cycle.

Fprime is invaluable and if you can swing both you should. But if I had to weigh the benefits of both, I would have to go with ver 9. So much better then anything that came out of the 8.x cycle.

nthused
12-31-2006, 10:34 AM
I would upgrade to 9. Save your money for a few more months then get FPrime. 9.2 has so many nice features - it'll be the best bang for your buck by far.

UnCommonGrafx
12-31-2006, 10:44 AM
9. Fprime isn't a prerequisite, particularly if you are new to LW. Better that you learn to use the software which will lead you to what you want and need as your skills improve.
A lot more to learn in 9 than there is to learn about fprime.

Save your money to buy fprime, though, as fprime 3's imminent arrival may have the tools to perfectly match some of the newer power promised in 9.2.

fireryan
12-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I'll order the upgrade to 9. Thanks for the info.

RedBull
12-31-2006, 12:35 PM
I would order FPrime.....

I have not used 80% of LW9's features, because Nodal is totally useless in it's current form (no OGL or Realtime feedback), GI which i need on 90% of my work is way to slow. Viper is a complete joke.

LW8.5 + Fprime was/is a much more productive combination for myself,
than LW9.0 with it's non supported FPrime...

With 9.2 and FPrime3 coming soon, i would hold off to see what eventuates.
I like plenty of features in LW9, but honestly i didn't need to upgrade this time.

FPrime's realtime GI/texture/Lighting increased my workflow 400%...
LW9 has (so far) slowed down my workflow by 100%

Cageman
12-31-2006, 03:34 PM
LW9 has (so far) slowed down my workflow by 100%

That sounds little odd? I've heard that current version of FPrime works well with LW9.0? Yes, you are limited to do things the 8.x way in terms of not using Nodal, but there are other things in LW9 that should enhance workflow rather than slowing it down, such as much faster OGL performance in Layout.

Would be interesting to hear what parts of LW 9.0 have actually slowed down the workflow so much for you.

RedBull
12-31-2006, 09:24 PM
That sounds little odd? I've heard that current version of FPrime works well with LW9.0? Yes, you are limited to do things the 8.x way in terms of not using Nodal, but there are other things in LW9 that should enhance workflow rather than slowing it down, such as much faster OGL performance in Layout.

Fprime does work with LW9 and Nodal displacements etc, and that's cool..
(it does crash more under 9.0) I try to use Fprime instead of OGL viewports.
So i have my viewports set to bounding box for speed, so VBO stuff didn't help me.

Would be interesting to hear what parts of LW 9.0 have actually slowed down the workflow so much for you.

That may of come of a little wrong, My point being i think LW8.5+Fprime, is by far more productive than LW9.0 without FPrime. If i had to choose LW7.5 with Fprime or LW9 without, i would still choose the former.

LW9 didn't actually increase my productivity, various plugins and scripts broke, motion designer is broken, various node crashes and problems.
dozens of little things, that just didn't aid in my productions.

LW9 did waste my tinkering time, i play with Nodes constantly but can't actually use it for production without GI and realtime previews, so i've wasted a lot more time playing with LW9 features i can't actually use in production.

Anyway i look forward to the rest of the LW9 cycle, but at the moment
I'm really only looking forward to being able to utilize all of those LW9 features I have paid for 12months back, that will now actually work at a production level with Fprime3.