PDA

View Full Version : We need 3DS's cut tool instead of add edges

Ramon
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Hello guys, at work we use 3DS Max. I have been using LW for years (since 5.0) However, since I have been using Max, I noticed that their cut tool is far and away better than LW's newest implementation. Silo is also working very similar to Max's and since the guys at work were heavily into Maya before, they say that Maya's is even better than Max's - though I can't imagine that.

Max's allows you to cut WHEREVER you want - whether it be to an edge (anywhere on the edge), also to a vertex or and most importantly, to the center of a polygon. When you have decide to stop making continuous cuts, all you do is right click and that series of continuous cuts is "stopped" although you have not dropped the tool which is also great because you can continue to cut in other areas. It's only that aspect of it that is simular to LW.
The big difference between LW's and Max's is that in LW you HAVE to cut to an edge and you have to use those circles so you have to grab them from the center of the edge first. This slows things down and the fact that you can't cut to faces (polys) makes modeling more complicated and unnecessarily difficult.
Please have a look at what I'm talking about. Max's 30 day trail is available if you do not have a copy already. There cut tool is awesome! I HOPE THAT NEWTEK IMPLEMENTS THIS INTO LW VERY SOON!
Thanks for reading.
Happy New Year!

borkus
12-30-2006, 01:05 PM
have you checked this out http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit ? i haven't bought it yet, but i loved the demo. will own very soon. sounds kinda like what you are describing of the cutting tool in max. i would love to download the max demo, but i already have enough programs on my computer. plus i like lightwave the way it is. and considering everyone said that lightwave is quite unique in its interface, i'm assuming it would take me just as long if not longer to become competent in max

Ramon
12-30-2006, 05:19 PM
i would love to download the max demo, but i already have enough programs on my computer. plus i like lightwave the way it is. and considering everyone said that lightwave is quite unique in its interface, i'm assuming it would take me just as long if not longer to become competent in max
Haven't tried EasySplit but, this really should be something that is implemented in LW itself (core).
Trust me, would like LW a whole lot more if it had a cut tool like Max, seriously. Also, it wouldn't take you long at all to see how Max's cut tool works once you downloaded and installed Max. It's as easy as: convert a box (we'll you a box as the demo for this) to "editable poly" by right clicking on it then right click again and choose the "cut" tool and away you go with a BIG SMILE on your face!

EDIT: I just went to the EasySplit page and in all their examples, it doesn't seem to be able to cut to the center of a poly. Seems you have to cut through to another edge which is totally different. Just try Max, it's worth the try, believe me.

cagey5
12-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Have you raised this in the 'feature request' forum yet? That would seem to be a good place to start.
May not always look like they listen there... but they do.

Sensei
12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
EDIT: I just went to the EasySplit page and in all their examples, it doesn't seem to be able to cut to the center of a poly. Seems you have to cut through to another edge which is totally different. Just try Max, it's worth the try, believe me.

EasySplit was made with Sub-Patch in mind - adding point(s) inside of existing polygon would make such polygon totally not Sub-Patch friendly.. Things little changed at the LW9 times were is Catmull-Clark Sub-D which can have N-gons, but EasySplit was designed 1.5 year before LW9 where nobody thought about CC.. EasySplit is now the most useful together with CC - no additional unnecessary polygon splitting to triangles and quads just to not break Sub-Patch.

LW9 3rd party developer DVD has EasySplit trial 7 days..

Max or Maya can do that in one mouse click and drag? ;)
http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/EasySplit_Knife_Complex.gif

Castius
12-30-2006, 07:38 PM
No they can't.

And Max cut is sloppy.

Ramon
12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
No they can't.

And Max cut is sloppy.

Castius, I admire all your help in the LW community.
I have to disagree however with your assessment of Max's cut tool. That thing rocks! Honestly, I cannot see how a cut tool could be better. I've been a LONG TIME LW user and just recently started working in 3DS at work. While there are a few things I don't like about 3DS Max, I have to be honest with myself and not have a blindfold that LW is the end all because truly there are quite a few things that I really do like about 3DS and that's just about it's modeler (the cut tool being my favorite).
I truly don't know what you mean by the tool is sloppy. I think it's extremely fast and efficient.
Just try it and you'll know what I'm talking about.:thumbsup: Anyway, I just hope Newtek implements the Max style cut tool. It's much faster and lends itself to easier modeling.

Ramon
12-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Have you raised this in the 'feature request' forum yet? That would seem to be a good place to start.
May not always look like they listen there... but they do.

Hey Cagey, thanks.
I sent them an email to there email: [email protected]
Hmmm, maybe I should also post at the 'feature request' forum also.