PDA

View Full Version : New laptop questions

Speedmonk42
12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey, I finally have the money to replace my laptop that was stolen a year ago! Woo hoo!

I do have a couple of questions.

I was thinking of buying a Dell 9400. It has the Nvidia 7900GS. Is there going to be any difference between that and the Precision series with the lower end Quadros?

I am sure the high end ones are good, but say should I get the M65 instead?

Is there some difference between an XPS system, and configuring a 9400 with the same parts?

Speedmonk42
12-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Ok, I think I am now thrashing between the

XPS and the M90

I can spend about 2500(can)

Both have WUXGA and 7200RPM HD's

XPS

2.0 Core 2 4MB cache
2GB RAM-667
256MB 7900GS

M90

1.66 Core 2 2MB cache (dell site says 4MB, but I am sure it is not)
1GB RAM-667
512MB Quadro 2500M

Look at it like this and the XPS seems to win, unless there is truly some hidden magic in that graphics card (like LW choking on one of them)

lilrayray77
12-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Just a hint of warning, I made the mistake of buying the XPS desktop, and upgrading many of the parts is very difficult due to their use of costom made mobos. Id recommend looking a bit longer. Boxx used to have laptops, but Im not sure if they still do. You might also look into getting a Macbook Pro and dual booting (dont know much about these). Anyway, best of luck with your decision. Itll be hard to beat the dell on price.

habaņero
12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I looked at this last autumn and I ended up with a macbook pro -- I found the alternatives from dell not such a great compromises between low power and heat, weight noise and battery time ... My MBP runs both xp and mac LW beautifully and even more so with the soon to come UB LW.

Check the wattage on the 7900 and the quadro, because that wattage is all of it translated to heat ... I mean if you are after a "freightable" then likely a quadro could be an interesting deal but if you want any of the pros of a real portable then it likely is too battery and fan hungry... Myself, I find the X1600/7600 the perfect compromise but I would consider even a 7400/7300 for a small LW laptop.

sculptactive
12-29-2006, 11:45 PM
If it is purely for lightwave I have had the M50 and M70 and LW works like a dream on them so I am sure the M90 is no different.

That said, the Nvidia 7900GS not being quadro will make no difference where LW is concerned so if the XPS is much better value for money I would get it.

dballesg
12-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I am looking as well as you to the XPS systems, instead of the M90. Mainly as sculptactive said, I do not think that the difference with those Quadros it is going to be so great and you save a few bucks that you can spend on th Processor speed (that would be a difference, and more RAM, more difference as well to benefit LW.

My problem living in Spain is that Dell here doesn't have those systems!!!! :( Only the M90 :(

I've been looking as well to the Alienware Aurora m9700, with only one graphic card. Mainly because it uses AMD procesors. Anyone have experience with one of this?

Another one I look was the ACER Aspire 9810, that has a 20'' screen! :)

And this HP Compaq nw9440 looks good as well, similar to the Dell M90.

Best regards,
David

sculptactive
12-30-2006, 02:19 AM
My problem living in Spain is that Dell here doesn't have those systems!!!!

You could always pop over to the states and get an XPS. The $ is so weak you'd probably get the trip for free...

Speedmonk42
12-30-2006, 03:28 AM
Well I looked at the Mac Book Pro.

$700 more than than the XPS (Can $)

Lower resolution screen
Slower Hard drive
Slower graphics (though this is somewhat subjective)
Slightly faster CPU

Speedmonk42
12-30-2006, 03:32 AM
Another one I look was the ACER Aspire 9810, that has a 20'' screen!
---------

I looked at this as well.

It is only a WSXGA screen, not WUXGA
I would rather have a Core 2 right now.
7600 instead of 7900 on the graphics.

dballesg
12-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Hi,

Thanks for pointing me out that for the Acer, I will erase it from my list then! :)

Did you found any laptop with turion? It worth the search? How they compare with the intel Core 2 Duo? I've been doing a lot of search about it, but didn't found a page that was really objective on the issue.

Sorry to ask, it's a long ago i am not so well informed on the processors. I ask, because I would like to use the laptop with XP Pro 64 bits or Vista 64 bits. Are the Intel Core 2 Duo 64 bits? On the intel page I think they show the T7600 its 64 bits? But with the EMT set of instrucgtion, not as a "pure" 64 bits processor as the Turions?

And I have a good experience with our Opteron Dual Dual core on the office.

Best regards,
David

avkills
12-30-2006, 06:03 AM
Just a FYI, the Quadro graphic drivers on the Dell's are pretty funky. We just bought a bunch for our rental pool (non XPS ones, they are Latitudes I think D6??). Anyway, all the setup for them is done through a web browser like interface. Very strange.

I can vouch for the MacBookPro. I have a Core 2 2.33Ghz, 2GB RAM, 256MB X1600 and it runs LW under WinXP very well. I have a dual boot system with OS X and Windows XP. As far as I know, you can't install Win64 on them if you are using BootCamp.

-mark

dballesg
12-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Hi,

I was afraid about the non xp64 on the mac! :( That was I didn't considered it either ! :(

And I would like a laptop with NVidia (rare this days i think, and more if you try to find one with Turion processors! ).

My actual Fujitsu Amilo has a ATI Radeon 9700SE and was a nightmare to get updated drivers due to the stupid policy of ATI that supports only Laptops which signed with them a support driver program. Fujitsu didn't did it until recently, and mine was out of the deal. So I need to go with third party drivers (Omega ones).

On other components I am quite happy with the Fujitsu, BUT now trying to run LW 9.0 or Vue 6 on it is a bit of wasted time. Doesn't run them fast enough! :(

I found another one similar to the M90: HP Compaq nw9440

Best regards,
David

avkills
12-30-2006, 06:15 AM
Hi,

I was afraid about the non xp64 on the mac! :( That was I didn't considered it either ! :(

And I would like a laptop with NVidia (rare this days i think, and more if you try to find one with Turion processors! ).

My actual Fujitsu Amilo has a ATI Radeon 9700SE and was a nightmare to get updated drivers due to the stupid policy of ATI that supports only Laptops which signed with them a support driver program. Fujitsu didn't did it until recently, and mine was out of the deal. So I need to go with third party drivers (Omega ones).

On other components I am quite happy with the Fujitsu, BUT now trying to run LW 9.0 or Vue 6 on it is a bit of wasted time. Doesn't run them fast enough! :(

I found another one similar to the M90: HP Compaq nw9440

Best regards,
David

Well you can run XP64 using Parallels desktop, but you lose GPU support; but they say that full GPU support is on the way. Personally, I think LW would be painful without full OpenGL GPU support.

The instructions for BootCamp just say you can't load Win64, maybe you can; but you probably lose all the drivers that Apple has written to make XP see some Mac specific hardware.

-mark

lilrayray77
12-30-2006, 08:09 AM
On the intel page I think they show the T7600 its 64 bits? But with the EMT set of instrucgtion, not as a "pure" 64 bits processor as the Turions?

David

I have also been a little confused with this. I have Pentium D (icky), and I did not think it was 64 bit. One day, I decided to just pop in x64 linux, and it ran just fine. What I wonder though, is whether both cores are 64 bit or if each core is 32 bit, and adds up to 64 bit. If anyone could elaborate on this, I would be greatful.

avkills
12-30-2006, 08:15 AM
You can't add cores to make a 64bit processor. All 64bit means is memory addressing and register sizes, it also means you can do numeric operations on 64bit floats in one clock cycle. (Very basic description. ;) )

So if a 64bit version of Linux runs fine, then you have a 64bit CPU.

-mark

dballesg
12-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I've found the answer looking on pcmagazine website (the last place I was thinking off) :)

First the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 it is the top range and it supports 64 bits operative systems (Windowx XP Pro, Vista or Linux), because it has the EMT 64 set of instructions.

Coming back to the laptos the made a good review on the Dell XPS M1710 (Intel Core 2 Duo).

Has everything I wanted, the processor, a nice nVidia GeForce Go 7900GTX, and 2048 Mb of RAM and a 100 GB HD. And 17'' inches screen! :)

The price it is the only thing it is a bit high! :) So I am thinking to wait a few weeks more, and see if Dell has any offer on this system! ;)

Best regards,
David

Speedmonk42
12-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I think the biggest reason to have 64bit for LW is having access to gobs of memory, which on a laptop, unless you have more money than god will be only 2GB.

If you are going to run Vista there are some security enhancements it utilizes with 64bit processors. I think this is likely they only feature you will likely get to use on a laptop that will be of any significance.

Unless you make some profoundly bad purchasing decisions, it is pretty hard not to end up with a 64 bit 'ish' CPU

dballesg
12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi,

Thanks Speedmonk.

I know I want a 64 bits processor! :) And I think I will stuck with the 2Gb RAM limit!! :( DELL can charge you as almost 1000$ more for put another 2gb :(

And I want it to run the Lightwave 9.x + Vue XStream 6 combo! :) And those together are better on 64 bits! :) At least to prepare heavy scenes, even when i would render them on my office renderfarm! :)

Best regards,
David

Speedmonk42
12-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Is it worth upgrading to XP Pro? It's 54 dollars.

This is something I have not considered. I have never used it before.

Pros? Cons?

dballesg
12-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi again.

For me it is worth. Stability, so when an app hangs up doesn't hangs up all the system as mucha as XP Home does! :)

Best regards,
David