PDA

View Full Version : Duel video cards

AlexHead
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi,

Hope everyones holiday went well and the new year looks good.

I have a pc based workstation and am running LW9. My main board has two PCI-16e slots and can apparently run two video cards.

Perhaps some of you are doing this, and i've a few questions befor I go out and get another card. My current card is a nVidia gforce 6600 and runs fine now.

Is it worth running two video cards? Is there a big boost in render times of some other benifit?

Do the cards need to be the same? Can I pair my 6600 with a 7600?

Thanks for any help.

Alex

avkills
12-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure you'll see any increase in render times, as LW does not use the GPU for rendering, yet.

I don't think you can pair mis-matched cards for Crossfire or SLI or whatever nVidia calls it.

The good thing is that you can dedicated all the memory on each card to 2 different displays which will speed up OpenGL on each display. If you run 2 off of one card, it splits the memory between the two displays.

But if you want this for a single display, then all you will pretty much gain is OpenGL and DirectX previewing.

-mark

gjjackson
12-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Render times have Nothing to do with video cards. That's for display only. Newer versions of LW use newer OpenGL features to speed display. As far as video cards a dual display is best by using a single card with two ports, mainly due to driver concerns.

Cageman
12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Little OT here but...

Is it possible to have four monitors using two SLI-cards? :)

RedBull
12-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi,

Is it worth running two video cards? Is there a big boost in render times of some other benifit?

No speed increase in Rendertimes, and NO increase in OGL speeds.
SLI only works in fullscreen OGL applications, specifically games!
It will not provide benefit for LW or any other 3D application.

Do the cards need to be the same? Can I pair my 6600 with a 7600?

Yes, they both need to be SLI enabled, and the identicle GPU..
2x 6800GS for example (same brand, and GPU)
You also need an Nvidia SLI enabled motherboard.

habaņero
12-29-2006, 09:15 PM
It also often is a crappy deal -- lower performance $ than for a single better card, more heat, more driver issues, less space in the computer, time for setting the whole bonanza up and it likely aint very efficient use of power either ...

avkills
12-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Little OT here but...

Is it possible to have four monitors using two SLI-cards? :)

I can't speak for Windows specifically, but I don't see why not if each card is capable of driving 2 monitors. You probably have to disable SLI though.

-mark

zapper1998
12-30-2006, 03:40 AM
I run 2 Nvidia 7800GTOC's, with 2 monitors, no SLI, and have had no problems.
I did have issues with the SLI enabled
Disabled SLI and been smooth sense..

lilrayray77
12-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Im running a single 8800 GTS which is supposed to out perform most SLI and crossfire combinations. It's $400 compared to $600 + for SLI.
Oh, and it has dual dvi so you can pop 2 monitors in, or a giant monitor.

avkills
12-30-2006, 08:19 AM
SLI and Crossfire is basically for games.

-mark

DonJMyers
12-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I have two SLI cards running three (up to four) monitors. One glass, two flat screen.

It's Great! It's like a giant desktop. I have LW on one side, modeler on the other and they share the middle.

I look at my art on the more accurate glass screen and preview my web page work on the flat screens.

When you hit "prtscreen" to take a screen grab it creates a huge 3.3K image that looks like cinerama!

AlexHead
01-01-2007, 01:45 PM
thanks for all the help.

voriax
01-01-2007, 09:15 PM
It's Great! It's like a giant desktop. I have LW on one side, modeler on the other and they share the middle.

I have to comment on the media player carefully positioned to cover up a scantily clad .. male/female?
;)