PDA

View Full Version : Can SAS Lite animate grass?

Ade
02-19-2003, 07:25 AM
I need to have a plane fly over a grassy field and have the grass affected by the wind and swoop of the plane.
Can sas lite do this?
Anyone have any tutes?

jdavidbakr
02-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Sas Lite doesn't do wind dynamics. One thought you might try is making a field of grass in Modeler and use a deformation for the motion. I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere about making a grassy field blow in the wind using deformation; if you added another layer of deformation to this based on a gradient related to the plane you might get the look you are going for. Here is the tutorial I am talking about:

http://www.epicsoftware.com/3dinteractive/2i.htm

Good luck!

harlan
02-19-2003, 09:56 AM
If you can afford it, upgrade to the full Sasquatch package.

kenneth
02-19-2003, 12:04 PM
You can use Motion Designer on a series of guide chains and animate them however you want.

Ade
02-20-2003, 09:00 AM
We installed sas full on my G3 400 with ADB dongle but when sas loads up I get an error about serials or dongles or some crap, why is that? Do i need to reenter a serial for sas?
Or is it OSX doesnt like adb dongles and I should stay in os9?

JackDeL
02-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Ade
Or is it OSX doesnt like adb dongles and I should stay in os9?

ADB is dead. but I think Newtek has an offer to upgrade to a usb dongle, assuming you have usb of course.;)

Jimzip
02-22-2003, 10:42 PM
I am so sick of all this Sasquatch lite nonsense.
Why doesn't NT just INTEGRATE IT. We pay for the application, I don't want to buy add ons that should already be in an amazing app like this..:mad:

Ade
02-23-2003, 05:46 AM
maya allows u to use dynamics with grass rendering, so does C4d, so yeah LW8 should have more for sas.

anieves
02-23-2003, 01:36 PM
I've seen this done before with 2 instances of the terrain object. Move one of the terrain objects below the first one, apply Sas lite to this object and displace it over time to your liking. That's it.

bakasaru
02-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Jimzip
I am so sick of all this Sasquatch lite nonsense.
Why doesn't NT just INTEGRATE IT. We pay for the application, I don't want to buy add ons that should already be in an amazing app like this..:mad:

NT probably doesn't want to pay royalties to Mr Worley.

bakasaru
02-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Use a cloned terrain or similar, hide it from camera, apply a displacement map set to world coordinates, then move the hidden clone in beat with the plane to get the effect you desire. Sas(lite)quatch will render visible even if you hide the object its affecting from camera.

Ade
02-24-2003, 07:43 PM
For a newbie this sounds hard, i wish NT had a tute for it? Or is it like the fables mouse under the rug tute showing off displacemnt maps?