PDA

View Full Version : animating with vue and lightwave?

cresshead
12-28-2006, 11:20 PM
hi..yeha i know i've had VUE for ages [lw upgrade bundle] thing is NOW i need to move the lightwave camera [animated] and a animated lander spcecraft landing in view...[i'll comp the thruster particles afterward]

so i need to take the lw camera and a animated model [just a cylinder would do if i can parent it up...]

are there any video/web tutorials to how to do this?

cheers in advance!:thumbsup:

tonybliss
12-29-2006, 03:07 AM
Some links to IVAN B's excellent tuts (copied from Ivan's post on e-on Vue Xsteam forums)

Heres a couple of links to my free vue video tutes. I now have a second link to a site that is hosting my QUICKTIME videos, much better quality than the Esnips flash videos. No registration required etc..Hope they help.

New Link:

http://resources.advancedperceptions.net/Tutorials/Vue

Esnips site:

http://www.esnips.com/UserProfileAc...e5-1805f766e6b9

Ivan.

Wonderpup
12-29-2006, 06:04 AM
You'll need to use the vue sych plugin that comes with vue- but there are issues. One is with scaling betwen vue and lightwave and the other with aspect ratio of the renders-but to be honest I got so frustrated with the whole thing I didn't really get my head round it. A search on here and cgtalk is your best bet.

If there's any money in the job you could look at the xstream plugin. which is supposed to make the whole integration thing a lot less painful.

cresshead
12-30-2006, 07:09 AM
thanks for the help, the links were great esp the videos

currently my little mars scene is hitting 50million polys!
...though i cut down the polys to a mere 14million for the animation
test i'm renderng out....13million are just the mars stones/rocks!:D

note for new users of vue...doesn't support subpatches
though it does reference your lwo model so any changes in the lwo
model can be tracked and updated which is a really nice feature.

obviously i'm very new to vue but it looks worth the effort to learn it
a bit more i think...

http://www.cresshead.com/venus_rises/16_9_sml_render.jpg

tonybliss
12-30-2006, 08:43 AM
cheers and good luck

dballesg
12-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi,

One question? The 50 million polys are the rocks, but you put them on LW or vue?

Because Vue has a nice feature when you create an ecosystem with rocks.

So if you first create a single rock on vue, change its material to something more redish, and then use it to populate you ecosystem, you will have a lot of differents options to play with them! ;)

But I am thinking is the way you made it right?

Best regards,
David

cresshead
12-30-2006, 12:35 PM
the rocks 'are' an ecosystem and it's rendered in vue..can't say i'm really impressed with the animation timeline/features in vue and maybe i should learn to connect with lw and use it's camera animation...or i could just limit my camera animation!:thumbsup:

btw the scene is now 12million in vue...dropped the number of rocks populated in the eco system..still looks okay.

lw modeling and vue rendering seem a pretty good combination for such heavy scenes.

:thumbsup:

DMarkwick
12-30-2006, 01:07 PM
lw modeling and vue rendering seem a pretty good combination for such heavy scenes.

:thumbsup:

Yes, they can be :) you need to keep the different apps in their own layers (IMO) if there's animation happening and composite them later. Eco systems are wonderful, but they'll only come into their own fully with the release of V6 xStream I reckon. V6 xStream is going to explode onto the 3D scene in quite a big fashion early next year.

RE the camera scaling thing, at first (until quite recently in fact) I was dismayed by it, but now I see it as a nice way to manage your Vue scenes when synching with LW scenes. When you sunc a camera to LW imported data you can then mess around with the scaling factor to your heart's content before settling on a scale that makes most sense within the Vue UI. So you can drop the scale down if you want to have huge mountain ranges without making huge models very far away, or you can ramp the scale up if you want close in pebbles and grasses etc. It takes a few days to get a handle on it but it's worth it. I don't know how this practice will change with V6 xStream of course, maybe it won't be necessary.

cresshead
12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
had a weird thing happen with VUE in the open gl viewports...i can't anylonger get a shaded vieport...i can get wire and bounding box but no shaded view....make it difficult to place stuff and not sit above or thru the ground...anyone else have this happen [bug??]

Speedmonk42
12-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Nice mars view, but where is the Starbucks?

cresshead
12-30-2006, 01:55 PM
update...fixed the vieport thing...went 'back to defaults' and restarted vue
all seems okay now.

cresshead
12-30-2006, 01:57 PM
re:where is the Starbucks?....do ya mean the coffee shop or the tastey blonde from battle star galactica!
.....btw they're BOTH in the dome building near to the water tower....having a break!

:D

cresshead
12-30-2006, 02:07 PM
vue screen grab fo ya!

http://www.cresshead.com/venus_rises/lw_models_in_vue.jpg

cresshead
12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
also would like to thank newtek for putting together the lightwave upgrade/vue bundle together...otherwise i'd have not looked at vue in the first place for detailing out a lightwave scene i was building and having 'issues' with getting enought detail in there...instancing sure is cool esp for thousands of rocks!

cresshead
12-30-2006, 06:13 PM
http://www.cresshead.com/venus_rises/colour_corrected_basic.jpg

a quick colour correct....err maybe this should be in the gallery?....or not!..seeing as it's a mix of lightwave and vue i'm not sure!:D