PDA

View Full Version : I just have to get this off my chest.

CAClark
12-27-2006, 05:40 PM
I F**KING HATE LIGHTWAVE.

It's ability to crash executing the most basic function really pisses me off.

There. End of transmission. Thank you.

CAClark
12-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks to the 91 people who showed admirable restraint when viewing that post :thumbsup:

GregMalick
12-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks to the 91 people who showed admirable restraint when viewing that post :thumbsup:

I think it's an indication of the respect we have for you.
It doesn't sound like you'll be hanging around much longer, though....

tyrot
12-28-2006, 12:36 PM
dear craig
which version is keep crashing?

best

avkills
12-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Been solid for me since I disabled the Hub. ??

-mark

beverins
12-28-2006, 01:06 PM
I F**KING HATE LIGHTWAVE.

It's ability to crash executing the most basic function really pisses me off.

There. End of transmission. Thank you.

To be honest, this has happened to me at least once on every single graphics program on both Windows, OS X and even Amiga OS. I guess you're luckier that it only so far happens to you with Lightwave. :D

-EsHrA-
12-28-2006, 01:24 PM
...must... resist.. ...

mlon

gerry_g
12-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks to the 91 people who showed admirable restraint when viewing that post

Yeah I was one of them, I read it and shrugged and thought to myself I'm not getting these problems............then I went of to finish some occlusion maps I'd been baking the day before, only it didn't quite work out like that. First render I do after loading the object is taking around an hour to complete (average should be around 10mins per bake based on previous days times) , then I get to one map that seems to want to bake forever, well until it crashes Lightwave (yes I'm on about the spiffy nu Baking Camera in 9 not the cruddy old one) so three crashes later I discover that if I make my first bake as low res as possible say 1x3 samples at around 500x500 pixels, all subsequent bakes at whatever sample rate or resolution are fine and no crashes. So........do I now agree with you Lightwave is crash prone, NO, or at least no moor than usual or no more than any other 3D ap, I crashed Modo at least four times unwrapping my UV's for this object and that's Modo 202

tribbles
12-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I've probably only had it crash 8 times in the 2 years I've had it (mostly in Modeler). I'd say that my biggest gripe is that it can be unpredictable sometimes. The two that have hit me recently are:

- Hypervoxel volumetric baking doesn't seem to work for me. I either get the wrong colours, or nothing. This would be very useful for my current scene where 3/4 of it is covered by HVs.

- Emitters not seeming to produce the right number of objects.

Other things are asking me to tell it where a certain file is, and giving me the directory it's in as the default one, SkyTracer2 rendering black circle effects around the sun, and another HV - this time surface - rendering with horizontal stripes at high resolution.

hrgiger
12-28-2006, 05:20 PM

I was kind of thinking the same as gerry_g. I viewed the post and almost replied but thought it wasn't worth responding to as you were cleary in no mood to hear anything any of us would of had to say.

All of us have dealt with issues with software where we wanted to hurl the computer from the 30th floor...Sorry it was your day today.

Celshader
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM

There's not much there that requires restraint. If you had posted repeatable steps that guaranteed a crash, Newtek would have had something to fix, and you would have proved to this forum that Lightwave is unstable. As it is, folks can easily write off your bad experiences to video problems or bad luck.

Since it may be possible that you do not have video problems or bad luck, I hope you take the time to post some kind of proof that Lightwave is unstable.

Stooch
12-28-2006, 09:24 PM
haha, took some balls to tempt everyone like that ;)

ive taken a more low key approach by stepping back and seeing where things end up before deciding if this is still my favorite program.

JVitale
12-28-2006, 10:07 PM

we've all cursed at LW and/or other programs when crashing so we've all felt your pain
:D

Sil3
12-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Sometimes just "saying" out loud what's going on our minds can be a way to calm us down ;)

zardoz
12-29-2006, 04:17 AM
I work in a place where I'm the only one using lightwave, the rest are using 3dsmax...I'm there almost only for my modelling habilities...lol...whatever.

And I can assure you guys (and gals) that 3dsmax crashes at least 3 or 4 times more than lightwave. Worse...lots of times, when it crashes it damages the files - Lightwave never did that to me - (these guys make lots of backups). And they work with max since version 2 or something. So they are not rookies.

Yeah lightwave has some stupid bugs, and sudden crashes, but newtek are trying to fix them...lets have patience.

colkai
12-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Well, I've been using LW on a laptop the past few days that realyl isn't up to it OGL wise, it's crashed with alarming regularity.
Knowing it doesn't crash on this Pc (*pat old PC fondly*), I just cursed a bit, then reloaded and carried on.

Very frustrating and annoying, but then, I've had browsers cause me far more headaches than that so what's a guy to do? ;)

I feel your pain, but I normally find most of my crashes end up relating to summat else other than LW. Nine times out of ten, a clean boot stops a lot of "odd" behaviour for me, but even if it doesn't, I just carry on but with lots of under-my-breath mutterings. :p

bobakabob
12-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Bar the odd bug I've found LW 9 to be pretty solid and reliable but when it crashes it really crashes and only a complete reboot will clear the debris.

Are many folks here are using LW 64 bit? Plugin related limitations aside the speed is really impressive and you get that warm glow of reassurance when you realise you've been working in Modeler and Layout (via the Hub :help: ) for hours without the whole pack of cards crashing down. Guess any problems I've had in LW 32 bit have been memory related. .

rwhunt99
12-31-2006, 09:13 AM
I am not too thrilled about the instability of LW, as old as it is and how much they've rewritten the code, I just don't understand it myself :stumped:

I have to laugh because I've seen some video tutes from Dan Ablan where LW crashes during his videos and he just keeps on going on as if nothing happened or it is perfectly normal. :D

Stooch
01-02-2007, 02:38 AM
lol because it is... jk jk.

colkai
01-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Yup, you'll pretty much get a crash out of any piece of software.
That's one of the reasons anyone who works with computers, be they programmers, data processors, or 3D folks, can be seen muttering away under their breath in a corner and giving evil sidelong glances at their systems. :p ;)