PDA

View Full Version : Very basic newby question

syve
12-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I have just started using Lightwave 7.5 with the Arsenal kit and am enjoying it. I will never become a serious 3-d artist, as basic shooting and video editing is enough for me.

I would like to do a few simple things and the first has me baffled. I have tried to fight my way through the (1100+pages!!!) manual, but can't find a simple explanation.

Perhaps one of you experienced users can help (after rolling your eyeballs)

I have created a nice metal 3d box, and have inserted it into an arsenal scene. So far so good. I would like to map the client's logo to the front of the box (and create a parent child relation).
I have been able to add the png(with alpha) to the image editor.

Here is where I am baffled. I cannot figure out how to do it. Is the png mapped to the object in the modeler or in lightwave? What steps do you take to get the image, position it, and lock it in place.

I realize that this question is kindergarden level (from what I have seen of lightwave animations), but being able to just do this sort of thing, would enhance the quality of my video productions a ton.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
Syverson

Sekhar
12-27-2006, 11:41 AM
(1) Create a surface for the face: select the face poly and hit 'q' for options
(2) Add the image as a texture for that surface: hit F5 to open surface editor and select 'T' under 'Color' to open up options

That should get you started.

syve
12-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Should I be doing this in modeler or lightwave?
At least I have a starting point, and can reference the right part of the (groan) manual.

Cheers
Syverson

cresshead
12-27-2006, 12:38 PM
you can do this in either....modeler would be my preference though as in layout you'll need to save all objects to make the edit 'stick'...

so modeler is the way..
any hassles, come back and ask for more instructions if you need to.

steve g

syve
12-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Appreciate the help

Cheers
Syverson